Road to Africa: World Cup 2010

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Alright it's a bit early but soccer fans will be talking about it from now until it starts so I figured I'd start a thread for any news involving the tournament.

Qualified Teams
South Africa (CAF - as hosts)
Japan (AFC)
Australia (AFC)
South Korea (AFC)
Netherlands (UEFA)
North Korea (AFC)
Brazil (CONMEBOL)
Ghana (CAF)
England (UEFA)
Spain (UEFA)
Paraguay (CONMEBOL)
Cote d'Ivoire (CAF)
Germany (UEFA)
Denmark (UEFA)
Serbia (UEFA)
Italy (UEFA)
Chile (CONMEBOL)
Mexico (CONCACAF)
USA (CONCACAF)

notables missing: Argentina, France, Sweden

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
The play offs in Europe will be interesting.

Some massive names in there.

That said, I think it's a disgrace that they are going to seed the draw for te playoffs.

Every team that has made the play offs deserves a fair shot at the World Cup, having obviously played high quality football to make the play offs, and to be forced to play stronger opposition due to seeding is a joke.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Colombia has been eliminated which sux. But I still have USA to root for, so hopefully we can make it to the next round.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Go Italy! I am liking our chances, but I hope Totti comes back for the World Cup. He said he might. Spain also looks pretty strong this year, it should be interesting.

getyappcrnredy24

maybe god. live with soul, never die.
Reaction score
If Inho's gonna play, Brazil ftmfw.
That's who I cheered for last WC

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ronaldinho should focus on stepping up his game at the club level before he thinks about the national level IMO

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Ronaldinho should focus on stepping up his game at the club level before he thinks about the national level IMO
Ronaldinho's a <Censored>ing disgrace.

Makes me sick that he is so god damn talented and he wastes it. He isn't worth a penny of what he is paid.

It's an insult to the game to be able to do such wonderful things with a football and then go and get complacent after two absolute world class seasons. FFS he can't even keep himself fit.

Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are both examples of what a footballer should be. They've both had illustrious careers, Giggs is the most successful player to come out of Britain, and he's been playing in the United first team for 20 years, and he's been brilliant in every one of those campaigns. Does he get complacent? Is he ever satisfied with his medal collection? Does he drop off and go get fat? No, no and no. That's a professional footballer, not that Dinho clown. The sad part is, most people will never give Giggs or Scholes the credit they deserve. Imagine what Ronaldinho could have accomplished with that same drive.

It's just sad.

</rant>

Anyways, I'm hoping Malta can get a result against Portugal and knock them out of contention for the World Cup. It'd be a massive result for Malta, and even though I do like Portugal, it would make me proud to say that the Maltese put Portugal out of the World Cup XD

Then Carlos Queiroz can come back and be assistant at United :D

EaglesUK

Reaction score
Ronaldinho's a <Censored>ing disgrace.

Makes me sick that he is so god damn talented and he wastes it. He isn't worth a penny of what he is paid.

It's an insult to the game to be able to do such wonderful things with a football and then go and get complacent after two absolute world class seasons. FFS he can't even keep himself fit.

Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes are both examples of what a footballer should be. They've both had illustrious careers, Giggs is the most successful player to come out of Britain, and he's been playing in the United first team for 20 years, and he's been brilliant in every one of those campaigns. Does he get complacent? Is he ever satisfied with his medal collection? Does he drop off and go get fat? No, no and no. That's a professional footballer, not that Dinho clown. The sad part is, most people will never give Giggs or Scholes the credit they deserve. Imagine what Ronaldinho could have accomplished with that same drive.

It's just sad.

</rant>

Anyways, I'm hoping Malta can get a result against Portugal and knock them out of contention for the World Cup. It'd be a massive result for Malta, and even though I do like Portugal, it would make me proud to say that the Maltese put Portugal out of the World Cup XD

Then Carlos Queiroz can come back and be assistant at United :D
As much as it pains me to say it, as a Leeds United fan, Ryan Giggs is one of my sporting heroes. I hate Man united with a passion, but i love watching Giggs. He's one of the few footballers that can be called rolemodels in todays game. For him to continue playing with such energy, finesse and quality at his age is remarkable. He might still be playing when he's 50. :lol:

Anyway, i better stop, if any of my Leeds supporting mates find out about this i'll get crucified!

Oh, and just out of interest. Are you from Australia?

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it, as a Leeds United fan, Ryan Giggs is one of my sporting heroes. I hate Man united with a passion, but i love watching Giggs. He's one of the few footballers that can be called rolemodels in todays game. For him to continue playing with such energy, finesse and quality at his age is remarkable. He might still be playing when he's 50. :lol:

Anyway, i better stop, if any of my Leeds supporting mates find out about this i'll get crucified!

Oh, and just out of interest. Are you from Australia?
Hahaha well I'm glad that he does get some appreciation.

And yes I am from the land of Aus.

Why do you ask?

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Portugal 4 vs. Malta 0

A great day for Maltese everywhere lol

I expected as much to be honest...

At least Nani scored...

Oh, and Berbatov scored a hat trick for Bulgaria...you don't see that everyday...

EaglesUK

Reaction score
Hahaha well I'm glad that he does get some appreciation.

And yes I am from the land of Aus.

Why do you ask?
I was just wondering as you seem to know a hell of a lot about football to say you're from Oz.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
Yeah, I get that.

It's my passion really. I'm not big on Aussie Rules, I'm not big on rugby league or union, because I've grown up playing and watching football.

When I was 5 or 6 I used to watch the EPL highlights show and I instantly took a liking to Manchester United, and since I've always followed them, but it was only really when I hit 12 or 13 I was able to stay up and watch all the games and I haven't turned back since.

I watch a lot of football, and my dads a coach, so I've picked up a bit of him, so I guess that's where the knowledge comes from.

It's an awesome game :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%