Rays Dumping James Loney

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tampa has informed Loney that he will be traded or released before the end of the week. I get he's been at a 1/2 WAR the past couple of seasons but he hasn't been very healthy. Really think the Rays should've parted ways with Desmond Jennings, if anyone. Would open a corner for Dickerson and allow the Rays to utilize Pearce, Morrison, and Loney in the 1B & DH roles.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Hmmm, yeah. Odd that they are parting with Loney, they should easily find a trade partner, and if not he'll be signed quick to a MLD.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMO said:
haha wut?
I just don't think they are going anywhere with their current management. Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't look like they're building a winner.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I just don't think they are going anywhere with their current management. Maybe I'm wrong, but they don't look like they're building a winner.
The Rays make the best out of the hand they're dealt. We'll never see them spend big money but they put a lot of effort into scouting and seek value in cheaper options. We'll see how the offseason moves work out for them but they were pretty active.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
The Rays make the best out of the hand they're dealt. We'll never see them spend big money but they put a lot of effort into scouting and seek value in cheaper options. We'll see how the offseason moves work out for them but they were pretty active.
They did this with Friedman, but without him, will they still do it? I'm not sold yet.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Wow, shocked he got released.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
They did this with Friedman, but without him, will they still do it? I'm not sold yet.
We'll see how the deals for Dickerson, LoMo, and Franklin play out.

GMO

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I could argue that Friedman is the reason we're in the not a definite contender but not rebuilding either looking at our draft picks since '08/'09 only one player has produced 5 wins for Tampa (being Kiermaier). Maybe you could say that's more scouting, but still outside of trades Friedman wasn't fantastic.

Silverman has done a great job rebuilding the farm while keeping the big league club somewhat competitive. The previous few years the Rays were among the worst farms and this year most rankings/sites had us in the teens. Also this past offseason was the first time we really saw Silverman make moves to benefit the big league club.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
And James Loney already has a job with the Padres. Good luck trying to hit there. It seems like every half decent player that goes to the Padres ends up having bad years and selling themselves short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%