Pitino Wants To Coach Nets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sources close to Rick Pitino said the current Louisville coach has reached out to Nets to make himself a candidate for their head coaching position.

According to sources, Pitino had intermediaries recently contact Nets president Rod Thorn on his behalf. "Pitino is interested in the job," said a high-ranking team official, who added that the interest is all one way, coming from Pitino's side.

The Nets have created a list of candidates with Jeff Van Gundy believed to be at the top of the list.

Via New York Daily News

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pitino said he was interested after this season - meaning if things don't go well in Louisville (which they aren't) and if the Nets get a top FA (which they might get 2 2nd tier) then he'll go.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pat Forde is now reporting that Rick Pitino says he has "no interest" in the job. I'm guessing rumors will come up in the offseason again, but ultimately don't think it had much of a shot to being with.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's been a lot of chatter regarding Rick Pitino and possible links to the New Jersey job. He has denied it. Others say he's not telling the truth. But here's everything that's out there.

A source close to Rick Pitino tells the New York Daily News that the Louisville head coach wants to be considered as a candidate to coach the New Jersey Nets.

According to the newspaper, intermediaries recently contacted Nets president Rod Thorn on his behalf. Thorn has not spoken to Pitino and Pitino's people insist that "no direct contact" was made between him and the Nets.

"Pitino is interested in the job," a high-ranking Nets official told the newspaper.

When contacted last night, Thorn wrote a text message to The Star-Ledger which read, "Have not had any contact with Pitino. To my knowledge, no one in our organization has, either."

Pitino told ESPN's Pat Forde: "I have no interest, period. I'm done with coaching professional basketball. I've put the professional ranks behind me."

Yet, Adrian Wojnarowksi of Yahoo! Sports tweets: "The Pitino story in the New York Daily News is accurate. He's been working back channels to Russian owner [Mikhail Prokhorov] and management for weeks. They know he wants job."

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There is a growing belief new Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov is interested in hiring Jerry Colangelo as president with the hope that he could bring Mike Krzyzewski as GM and coach.

Krzyzewski has turned down overtures from the NBA before, with Boston, Los Angeles and Portland amongst the most notable situations.

The Colangelo relationship, autonomy and unlimited resources Prokhorov would provide might finally lure Krzyzewski away from Duke.

Via Yahoo!

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This would be a sick fit. He's the perfect type of coach to be in Jersey haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%