Phillies and Braves interested in Beltran - Expected to be traded before deadline

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
New York Mets right fielder Carlos Beltran's next home may still be in the National League East. Among the most active scouting occurring in the Beltran sweepstakes involves intra-division teams.

Gordon Lakey, the director of major league scouting for the Philadelphia Phillies, has been in New York to watch Beltran, who is in the final year of his contract. Meanwhile, the Mets have ramped up monitoring of Atlanta Braves and Phillies prospects, according to multiple major league sources.

ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian says there isn't an impact bat on the market this year, the Red Sox won't get outfielder Carlos Beltran and the Mets are making the right choice keeping shortstop Jose Reyes.

More Podcasts »
The San Francisco Giants also had senior adviser Paul Turco watching Beltran for several days, a source said. Sources have identified the Detroit Tigers and Boston Red Sox also as interested in Beltran, but one official indicated Detroit is focused on starting pitching, including San Diego right-hander Aaron Harang.

ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes reported the Red Sox are unwilling to meet the Mets' high prospect demand for Beltran.

According to a source familiar with the pursuit of Beltran, the Mets may try to pry Randall Delgado or Arodys Vizcaino from the Braves, although obtaining either prospect appears overly ambitious.

Both are pitching at Double-A Mississippi. Vizcaino is the Braves' No. 3 prospect (No. 47 overall), and Delgado No. 4 (No. 50 overall), on ESPN Insider Keith Law's rankings list.

Vizcaino was traded from the New York Yankees to the Braves in December 2009 with Melky Cabrera and Mike Dunn for Javier Vazquez and Boone Logan.

"I think any deal within the NL East will carry some sort of premium -- not necessarily one that is prohibitive, but something more than if sent elsewhere," an NL East executive said.

Beltran has full no-trade protection, but has indicated a willingness to relocate to a contending team. He used a midseason trade from the Kansas City Royals to the Houston Astros in 2004 as a springboard for slugging eight homers in 12 postseason games and setting up the seven-year, $119 million contract with the Mets that is set to expire at season's end.

With the Mets embarking on a three-city road trip after Thursday's series finale against the St. Louis Cardinals that does not return them to New York until Aug. 1, Beltran likely is playing his final home game at Citi Field today.

"I'm not really thinking ahead," Beltran said Wednesday, after delivering a two-run homer in the Mets' 6-5, 10-inning win against St. Louis. "I approach every day the same. I come to the ballpark, prepare myself and try to help the team any way I can. If it is, then it is. It's not there yet. I can't assume anything right now. I haven't heard anything from nobody, so right now I'm not concentrating on that."
http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6790440/sources-atlanta-braves-philadelphia-phillies-show-interest-carlos-beltran-new-york-mets?campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Braves or Phillies better fucking pay up, this isnt at a discount price. Beltran will be traded no doubt in my mind. Just gotta get the best offer available for him. I personally think its going to be the Braves, but who knows.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Mets aren't going to get a top prospect like they want..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea, I know we arent going to get a top prospect, but we are going to get something nice in the deal. Beltran can make a key difference for a playoff contender especially since the Braves and Phillies offense isnt that great to brag about. As well as the Giants, with Posey out. I think the bidding between those teams will lead to a good prospect, not great but good enough.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yea, I know we arent going to get a top prospect, but we are going to get something nice in the deal. Beltran can make a key difference for a playoff contender especially since the Braves and Phillies offense isnt that great to brag about. As well as the Giants, with Posey out. I think the bidding between those teams will lead to a good prospect, not great but good enough.
Apparently teams cant get draft picks if they lose him to free agency in the off-season, which lowers his trade value.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I don't think anything should be holding his trade value back other than that he's expiring after this season.

Beltran is hitting .290 with a .390 OBP and 15 homers in Citi Field. If he goes to Philly he's gonna be launching balls.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well it does hurt value if a team is trading for him to be a rental and don't plan on re-signing him, because you know if even if you get rid of some good prospects, you'll at least get some draft picks when you lose him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%