Padres Scouting Panda

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boston Globe reported yesterday that a San Diego Padres' scout was on hand to see Pablo Sandoval play: https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...lo-sandoval/KeKF3M8kqXscesU88MtjwI/story.html

The Pads were one team Pablo spurned to sign with the Red Sox, despite San Diego offering him more money. Seems they're still interested and while the Red Sox are in need of another starter, San Diego is actively looking to shed James Shields. For the Red Sox, getting rid of Pablo and adding Shields behind Price would be a dream scenario.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Please please please trade Panda for Shields, oh please yes. Shaw takes over 3B, and we are rid of that awful contract, and add a still good arm behind Price.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Allen said:
Please please please trade Panda for Shields, oh please yes. Shaw takes over 3B, and we are rid of that awful contract, and add a still good arm behind Price.

Shields in the rotation is exactly what the Sox would need to keep DP24 from being overused during the regular season.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Shields in the rotation is exactly what the Sox would need to keep DP24 from being overused during the regular season.
Sucks Smith went down, our bullpen now is just good and not great. We'll see if this Panda trade works or not...I sure pray so.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Funny now that I read the San Diego side of things: "Don't read too much into the Padres scouting Sandoval."

Preller would have to be insane to make that kind of move. And that's why he obviously has no desire to pick up the ursine player. Here's what he had to say about the rumor.
As if anything AJ Preller has done made any sense for the Padres.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Don't ruin my mood! They will trade for him :(

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Anfield said:
FWIW, Shields' contract isn't much nicer...

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/san-diego-padres/james-shields/

That said, I'd take Shields' production over Panda's. Just hope last year was an aberration. 3.91 ERA in the league's most forgiving park isn't anything to write home about.
I will gladly take Shield's contract over cancer Panda's.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
I was saying do this from the start. I'd actually feel we'd be ten times better with Shields as our #2 starter. We should have signed him before 2015 to save the hassle of trading for him.

Shields has a record of winning in the East and being reunited with Price is not a bad idea either. Padres would be idiots to make this trade, so I don't see it happening.

catman

Reaction score
That would be an interesting trade. Not really sure I'd do it from the Padres' side, but they do need to get rid of Shields' contract.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
catman said:
That would be an interesting trade. Not really sure I'd do it from the Padres' side, but they do need to get rid of Shields' contract.
It's a contract for contract, they'd get out of Shields' just to add Panda's.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Padres are idiots if they make this trade.
Let's hope they are idiots then.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Allen said:
Let's hope they are idiots then.

I completely agree, just pointing out no one in their right mind would take Panda. Shields has way more upside and will live up to that contract far easier than Panda will live up to his. As bad as Shields was last year, he still hit 200 innings and has for about seven years straight. That's durability if anything.

Also, 200 innings are more than Buchholz has ever gotten in a single year of his career and he's sadly our #2.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jon Heyman reporting the Padres have "discussed internally" the potential for a Sandoval trade. This is good news and shows the Padres scouting of Sandoval was more than just due diligence. If you ask me, its only a matter of time.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
Pharoah said:
Jon Heyman reporting the Padres have "discussed internally" the potential for a Sandoval trade. This is good news and shows the Padres scouting of Sandoval was more than just due diligence. If you ask me, its only a matter of time.
Oh please, please, please! Hell give them a decent spec like Marrero, get it done DD!

axman15

Reaction score
Typical Padres, going after overrated players past their prime. Nothing new here.

anfield

Reaction score
Sandoval is only 29. If he took care of himself, he could just be entering his prime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%