Ortiz surprised no offer came from Red Sox

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
David Ortiz(notes) batted .309 and put 29 balls over the fence for the Boston Red Sox this past season. Sure, it's not the 54 dingers he hit in 2006, but he's still in the top 25 for the league.

Now the 35-year-old DH is a free agent and he tells WEEI that he's a little surprised that he didn't get an actual offer from the Sox during the five-day period after the World Series ended when teams can negotiate exclusively with their own free agents.

"I was expecting something would happen before [the exclusive negotiating period ran out], but so many things are going on," Ortiz told the station. "I know everybody has priorities, and to be honest with you, I thought I was one of them."

For now, Ortiz has his agent, Fernando Cuza, listening to anything that comes along. "To be honest with you, it doesn't matter where I go, I'm just going to try to be the same and do what I normally do," he told WEEI. "Work out the way a lot of people expect. I'll just have to listen to somebody else. The good thing is that it's not me who is doing the listening.

My agent is doing the listening. They just pass on the word."
Do you think Ortiz will end up back in Boston?

Source: WEEI

Barcode

Reaction score
He's at a very dangerous age extending for multiple years. DH-only, so there is a short list of teams investing over 10M annually. I'd like to see a 1 year w/ incentives, but that's max.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^i agree

Youk has had injury problems lately and they have lavarnway (if they still like Salty) and middlebrooks and maybe Beltran so im sure they want to keep the DH spot open

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
What I want

Sign Beltran, Cuddyer

Rotate Cuddy at 3B and RF
Rotate Beltran at RF and DH
Rotate Youk at 3B and DH, and at 1B for when Gonzo needs a day off

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sure you don't need Pujols and Fielder as well?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They don't need Beltran and Cuddyer; it's either or

I love Papi but, at 35, what he did in the past is irrelevant. If he wants to get paid, he's probably going to have to look elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%