Nova To Start Game 2

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Getting information out of Joe Girardi is about as easy as pulling a wisdom tooth, and often just as unpleasant.

But the New York Yankees manager, who has been stubbornly reticent about revealing any of his postseason roster decisions, did offer one nugget of news before Wednesday night's regular-season finale between the Yankees and Tampa Bay Rays.

Rookie Ivan Nova will start Game 2 of the American League Division Series, regardless of who the Yankees' first-round opponent turns out to be.

"Nova's going to start," Girardi said. "It's probably going to be Game 2. How's that?"

It is an indication of how far Nova has come this season, from being sent to Triple-A in July to clearly supplanting A.J. Burnett as the Yankees' No. 2 starter, posting the second-best record of any starting pitcher on the team, 16-4 with a 3.70 ERA, behind Game 1 starter CC Sabathia's 19-8 and 3.00.

Girardi would reveal no other roster decisions aside from saying that the Yankees had settled on a Game 3 starter regardless of whether their first-round opponent turns out to be the Detroit Tigers or the Texas Rangers.

But neither Girardi nor general manager Brian Cashman would reveal the identity of the pitcher -- it will be either Burnett or Freddy Garcia -- nor whether the Yankees had made any of the other remaining postseason decisions, such as how many pitchers they will carry or whether both rookie catchers, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine, would make the roster.

"There are two or three decisions left to be made," Girardi said. "We're fairly close, but some of those decisions have to be made depending on who we play."
ESPN

From the 5th starter, to the minors, to starting Game 2 of the ALDS; been a hell of a ride. I've been really impressed with Nova this season and he most certainly deserving of starting Game 2 for us.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah he has had a great improvement this year, but I mean, I think most of us know the Yankees will be probably be relying heavily on their offense to provide big figures out there. Not doubting this staff, ya know? I've seen Colon & Garcia have great, surprising starts this year, but I just expect the offense to be the deciding factor in these games regardless of who they put on the mound not named CC Sabathia.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
That's obvious, but Nova is still our best bet to put us in position to win the game. I'll take 6 innings, 3 ER by him anyday.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I wasn't doubting that, and I probably didn't put my thoughts into the best words, haha.

Point I was trying to make was, no matter who's on the mound, nobody is stopping this offense. They'll overpower any opposing pitching staff if the right guys are clicking.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Don't think we could take the Phillies staff if it came to that but most of our team loves facing lefties so we'd have that going for us against Lee/Hamels.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yankees have faced Lee & Halladay before. They're not unhittable.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I'm aware, we have plenty of experience against Halladay, but I never like our chances against one of, if not the best pitchers in the league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%