Michael Owen - I'm a better player now. England Desire still burns.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
It's fair to say Mickey O is a player whose made quite an impact at Old Trafford this season.

A dissapointing performance against Burnley aside, he has scored 2 goals in 4 appearances in the EPL, which is quite an impressive feat considering that 3 of these appearances have been off the bench. And that goal against City...let's just say, few have gotten me off my seat like that one.

We all knew he had goals in him, but what I'm happy with is his fitness so far.

Anyways, here's two stories about the lad on Sky today:

Owen - I'm a better player now

Michael Owen has revealed he feared his career was at a 'dead end' before he joined Manchester United and has dismissed suggestions he has lost his pace in recent seasons.

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson pulled off one of the more surprising transfer deals when signing Owen on a free transfer from Newcastle United in the summer, but it is looking an increasingly shrewd piece of business.

Owen recently came off the bench to score a dramatic winner in the Manchester derby and he revealed he was tipped off about a possible move to Old Trafford by ex-United midfielder Nicky Butt, who played alongside the striker at Newcastle.

"Nicky said: 'Don't tell anyone I've called you, especially not the manager, but he was asking about you, how you are training. So just to put you on your toes in case he does call','' Owen told the Daily Telegraph. "My wife was in another room. I shouted at her and we were both really excited.''
No-brainer

The 29-year-old then spoke to Sir Alex Ferguson, who outlined his intention to sign a proven goalscorer after missing out on Karim Benzema.

Owen added: "As soon as he said 'Michael', I knew it was him [Ferguson]. His voice is pretty distinctive so I knew it wasn't a wind-up.

"He said: 'We are looking for a striker. Carlos [Tevez] is leaving. We went for Benzema and once that was a no-go we looked around for players who are going to score goals.

"Obviously the big question is if you are fit - then it's a no-brainer. Others will see it as a risk but I don't'.''

The former Liverpool ace continued: "I felt I was at a dead end but a road will open up. I am still only 29. I am in my 40s the way a lot of people talk about me! I have 'lost a yard' for the last nine years!

"The hamstring problems early in my career knocked a yard off my pace straight away but since then I have been the same player. I am 100 per cent the same player I was in Munich [scoring that 2001 hat-trick for England].

"I wasn't whizzing past players then like when I was 18. But if there is 10 yards to spring the offside and take a shot, there is no one who will catch me.

"I have those first quick strides but it is not just speed but reactions, game awareness and experience. I've always known where a ball is going to drop more than others. If anything I have improved.''

Owen also admits the goal which secured the thrilling 4-3 win over Manchester City earlier this month has helped him to feel part of the club.

"To score such a dramatic goal against your arch rivals did a lot for me," said Owen. "I'd contributed to winning a game. I felt part of the club. I felt great among the lads and the fans.

"I saw my dad after and he looked at me with the 'get in there' type of face that I've seen all my life. I said: 'That's up there, isn't it? Top three, top five?'''

Source
England fire still burns in Owen

Michael Owen insists he remains as 'passionate as ever' about playing for England and hopes to convince Fabio Capello to throw him a World Cup lifeline.

The Manchester United striker is fourth on the list of all-time leading scorers for England, but has played just once since Capello took charge of the national team.

That was as a second-half substitute in the 1-0 defeat in France 18 months ago and his summer move to United has yet to earn him a recall.

Owen admits he has been unable to discuss the situation with Capello, but is optimistic that he can break back into the England coach's plans if he is playing regularly.
Not past it

"Capello has never talked to me about the situation," Owen told the Daily Telegraph. "I met him after the Community Shield.

"He was coming down to get in his car with Franco [Baldini]. As I was getting on the coach, Franco saw me and gave me the thumbs-up. I walked over and shook their hands. Franco said: 'How are you? Are you feeling fit?' I said: 'Yeah, yeah, I'm feeling fine'. 'Good luck, we'll keep watching you'. That's the only contact.

"Yes, I have to play more. I am sure with the amount of games we have got, so many cup competitions, I will start my fair share.

"After that, it's down to how I play and whether the manager [Capello] wants me or not.

"But I never ask Wayne [Rooney] how an England trip was. I know how it is. I have done it 89 times. I am passionate as ever about extending my time with England. I'm not past it.''

The 29-year-old understands why his omission from the squad remains a newsworthy topic and he concedes it remains difficult to take when he is overlooked by England.

He added: "The reason why it has caused such a stir is that after I did my knee in 2006 I was straight back, not just in the squad, but in the team, playing and scoring under Steve McClaren.

"Now it's not like I have dropped down a step into the squad but fallen off the map.

"The first time was the hardest, the second time was the second-hardest, the third time...it is still hard."

Source
What do you think his chances are of getting back into the World Cup before the 2010 World Cup?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%