Mets Expected To Listen On David Wright Trade Offers

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
While a lot of the focus on the Mets and their pending offseason is on shortstop Jose Reyes, third baseman David Wright may big a hot topic as well.

"They will take a serious run at Jose Reyes, although they may be reluctant to offer the shortstop more than a five-year contract, and they are expected to listen to offers for David Wright, who is signed through 2012 and has a club option for 2013. Wright could be a fit with the Angels, Rockies or Mariners, among others," ESPN.com's Buster Olney wrote of the Mets.
RealGM

I honestly think they trade him. The Mets just really need to completely blow it all up. I don't know what's going to happen with Reyes but they really should have traded him before the deadline. They probably could have gotten a ransom for him. Let Johan come back next season and prove he's healthy and get his trade value up, then move him at the deadline. Move Jason Bay for anything you can and eat some of his salary if it means you don't have to pay the whole thing.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
If David Wright gets traded, I dont know what to do with my life....

They need to keep Wright and Reyes because they want to be here and they love playing for the Mets. Its not like both players are really old they are in their late 20's, but have a lot more productive seasons out of them. This will just alienate more of the fanbase which is not what you want to do at this point. I think that by just continuing to rebuild the farm system, the team can be successful sooner than people think.

When you lose your ace, 1st baseman, 3rd baseman, and SS for big portions of the year your not going to get great production.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
If David Wright gets traded, I dont know what to do with my life....

They need to keep Wright and Reyes because they want to be here and they love playing for the Mets. Its not like both players are really old they are in their late 20's, but have a lot more productive seasons out of them. This will just alienate more of the fanbase which is not what you want to do at this point. I think that by just continuing to rebuild the farm system, the team can be successful sooner than people think.

When you lose your ace, 1st baseman, 3rd baseman, and SS for big portions of the year your not going to get great production.
The last thing they should be concerned about is alienating the fanbase. Any smart fan would see the point in what they're doing and the dumb fans will come back if they start winning again with the pieces they get for trading away these guys.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Im with BC, and i've been saying it for a while now. This team has been disappointment each year since the made the playoffs in 2006. At some point, enough is enough and you have to rebuild. You cannot hold on to your 3 or 4 best players, and still try to rebuild. It cannot be done. You either add new pieces to the puzzle or you rebuild. They cannot afford to add new, high-priced free agents so their only other option is to rebuild.

I mean really. Every year it's "well if these top guys weren't injured we'd produce more" but how many more seasons can you say that? You cannot make that an excuse for 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. Enough is enough. If somebody blows you away with an offer, make it happen.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Well its just going to suck a lot losing players that I watched and follow for a very long time. I can agree that it would put the team in the right direction, but its tough losing 2 great players that aren't seen everyday.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dodgers need to jump on this pronto
talk about perfect fit...

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Well its just going to suck a lot losing players that I watched and follow for a very long time. I can agree that it would put the team in the right direction, but its tough losing 2 great players that aren't seen everyday.
Well no, you hold on to one and build around that player.

If you can resign Reyes, you look to trading Wright. If you can't resign Reyes, you keep Wright and hope you can get something back for Johan around the 2012 trade Deadline.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Dodgers need to jump on this pronto
talk about perfect fit...
lmao, the Dodgers are in the same situation as the Mets. They cant afford to sign a player like David Wright.

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me to see them move Wright. He's a very talented player, but he just doesn't fit with what they're trying to do in my opinion, and keeping Reyes has to be their #1 priority no matter what they have to do to make that happen. Will they move him out of desperation? No. But for the right price, they will get a deal done.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lmao, the Dodgers are in the same situation as the Mets. They cant afford to sign a player like David Wright.
we;re definitely not in your boat

dodgers are in a bad situation, but they can still spend

hell, there has even been speculation recently that the dodgers may be players for Prince or Pujols

so with that said, my idea was to trade for wright rather than signing Prince or Pujols. Wright would be cheaper as well

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Werent you guys basically nonexistent during free agency? And why is Frank Mcourt asking MLB for money?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we werent nonexistent this past offseason

Ted Lilly
Hiroki Kuroda
Juan Uribe
Matt Guerrier
Rod Barajas

if mccourt were to stay owner, he would have a new TV deal in place that would give him money

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
does life support sound better to you?

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we're in trouble
i just want to keep kemp and kershaw, and if ethier wants to be fair, him too

but the dodgers need a bat, and rather than trying to go after prince or pujols (ESPN's Jayson Stark)
they should go after David Wright.

all i said was the dodgers should be all over this
is it doubtful? yes
imo the dodgers wont do anything major this offseason. outside chance they get Carlos Pena instead of James Loney, but i doubt it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%