Matt Harvey to Undergo Season Ending Surgery

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score

The choice has been made: Scott Boras tells ESPN’s Adam Rubin that his client Matt Harvey will undergo surgery to fix his thoracic outlet syndrome. The surgery, which requires a recovery time of at least four months, will end Harvey’s season.

As we noted yesterday, thoracic outlet syndrome is a condition that results from excess pressure on the nerves or blood vessels between the rib cage and collarbone that can cause pain in the shoulder and neck. The condition has caused Harvey to pitch poorly this year, resulting in a record of 4-10, an ERA of 4.86 and 76 strikeouts and 25 walks in 92.2 innings.

While, if everything goes well with his surgery, Harvey should be ready for spring training, there is a long list of pitchers who were never the same after undergoing thoracic outlet syndrome surgery. Good luck to Harvey in beating some tough odds against his return to dominance.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I really hope he recovers and gets back to what he once was. I also hope this is the reason why he pitched so poorly.

Im also looking ahead to his free agency since he is going to leave. This really hurts his stock and possibly has fallen into our budget, but its still too early.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I read yesterday that he was having problems since Spring Training where at times he couldn't feel his fingertips. I guess he decided not to mention that shit 2 months ago when everyone wondered if something was wrong with him.....

"there is a long list of pitchers who were never the same after undergoing thoracic outlet syndrome surgery" - I'm curious who is on that list because quite frankly I've never heard of this condition before. I think he also has to have a rib removed too. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Damn its just what happens when you have so many power arms, some are bound to break. Zach Wheeler coming back strong would be a much needed and pleasant surprise.

I think these guys need to be more truthful when they are injured instead of "maning up" and pitching through it. Well I mean at least when they are pitching poorly.

catman

Reaction score
No guarantees from this surgery.  It is a lot different than TJ or shoulder surgery.  They are much more "routine" now.  All of these cases are different and all have different procedures done. 
It will be great if he can come back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%