Leafs playoff push

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
The Toronto Maple Leafs made a push for the prize of this summer's free-agent frenzy, Brad Richards, but came up short. Even with that setback, the Leafs had a very successful offseason.

They picked up a pair of skilled forwards in Tim Connolly and Matthew Lombardi and made a deal with the Colorado Avalanche to acquire defenseman John-Michael Liles in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft. Those additions without too many key subtractions could put the Leafs in the postseason for the first time since 2004.
The Leafs are coming off a 10th-place finish in the Eastern Conference last season, missing the playoffs by eight points. Strangely enough, they played some of their best hockey to close the season after General Manager Brian Burke shipped defensemen Tomas Kaberle and Francois Beauchemin and winger Kris Versteeg at the trade deadline.

After opening the season 19-25-5, the Leafs ended the season on an 18-9-6 run.

A lot of that success had to do with goaltender James Reimer, who burst onto the scene during the second half. He capitalized on injuries to goaltenders Jean-Sebastien Giguere, who left via free agency this summer, and Jonas Gustavsson to take the starting job. Reimer went 20-10-5 with a 2.60 goals-against average and an impressive .921 save percentage.

The Leafs return their top four point producers from last season -- Phil Kessel, Clarke MacArthur, Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin. There's a lot of improvement that needs to happen on the ice this season in Toronto, but on paper in the middle of August, things are looking very promising for the Leafs.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
Never liked the leafs and never will but they have a good team ... Not the best team on paper but they could play some good hockey and the main piece is Burke ( Best GM ) ... if he could continue making good moves for them Leafs could be a team to watch during the season ... I predict them near the 8th seed .

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Their offseason was only a success because Nashville, for some strange reason, gave up Lombardi and Franson for Toronto's garbage.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Adding franson and lombardi could be enough to put them into the playoffs in my opinion

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm excited about the team this year for sure, and I hope this is the season we'll see the playoffs since we've never made it after the lockout.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
they just need to have a good start to the season than i feel like they got a good chance

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Adding franson and lombardi could be enough to put them into the playoffs in my opinion
Right. I was more concerned with the word "success". I'd say more so a Predators failure but I guess that's just semantics at this point.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
I think the preds needed to do that trade to clear more space for next season when suter and rinne become UFA's and Weber is back to an RFA. either way Lombardi is a pretty good player, and franson still has tons of potential to become elite so i didnt like the trade at all

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think the preds needed to do that trade to clear more space for next season when suter and rinne become UFA's and Weber is back to an RFA. either way Lombardi is a pretty good player, and franson still has tons of potential to become elite so i didnt like the trade at all
What was the deal again? Did you guys even get a pick though?

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would of thought you guys would receive at least a pick for giving up a young player like Franson lol.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Haha i know eh. I am still pretty pissed

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
I think they'll be close this year, but fall short.
Why's that? all they did was upgrade. They got Franson, Lombardi, Connolly, Liles, etc. And their younger talent like Kadri and Schenn are just getting better

Star King3

Reaction score
I dont hold enough faith in Reimer my self, but I hope he proves me wrong. Lombardi may not be good to go, and IMO, Connolly is not the 1st line center the leafs need. I am a big fan of the D if they git rid of Krapisarek.

firemal

Reaction score
Why's that? all they did was upgrade. They got Franson, Lombardi, Connolly, Liles, etc. And their younger talent like Kadri and Schenn are just getting better
This is true. Leafs do have a lot of potential to be good,but I just don't think this is the year for them.

cream_puffed

Reaction score
Kessel-Connoly-MacArthur
Kulemin-Grabovski-Lupul
Armstrong-Lombardi-Kadri
Orr-Bozak-Brown

Phaneuf-Schenn
Liles-Franson
Komisarek-Gunarsson

Reimer
Gustavsson

I like it. Solid defence and a nice top 6. It all depends on the goaltending.

firemal

Reaction score
In my opinion I don't think Reimer will play as well as he did for a full year. He'll probally drop off eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%