Langkow-Stempniak trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Daymond Langkow says he's 100 percent healthy and excited to be heading back to the Arizona desert. Lee Stempniak's health was never in question, but he appears just as thrilled to be moving north to Alberta.

The Coyotes and Flames pulled off a trade Monday that sends Langkow back to Phoenix, where he played from 2001-04, and Stempniak to Calgary. The trade is contingent on Langkow passing a physical examination that will be conducted Tuesday in Phoenix.

Phoenix is looking for its own proof that Langkow is healthy heading into the final year of a contract that will pay him $4.5 million this season. He was out for more than a full calendar year, 88 games in all, with a neck injury he suffered on March 21, 2010 in Minnesota.

Langkow missed the final 10 games of the 2009-10 season and the first 78 of the 2010-11 season before returning on April 1 in St. Louis.

"What's first and foremost is your health, especially if you have a family because you have to think about them first," said Langkow, who has 642 points over 1,017 career NHL games. "That's why it took so long to get back, I wanted to make sure I was 100 percent and I am. If I had any doubts at all I wouldn't be back playing."

That said, Phoenix GM Don Maloney will remain optimistically nervous until he sees the results of Langkow's physical exam.

"By indication from the player to the trainers to their medical staff to the people Daymond talks to like the Shane Doans of the world, he's never felt better," Maloney said. "I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that there won't be any surprises that pop up."

Stempniak's excitement is more about the market than anything else.

"You want to play in a place where hockey matters," he said according to the Flames' official Twitter feed. "You love being in a market like that. I'm so excited to come to Calgary."

This is Stempniak's encore in a Canadian market, as he spent parts of two seasons in Toronto before being dealt to the Coyotes at the trade deadline in 2010.

He sizzled when he arrived in Phoenix with 18 points, including 14 goals, in 18 games to help the Coyotes reach the playoffs. However, Stempniak barely doubled that production (38 points) over 82 games this past season.

Regardless, Calgary GM Jay Feaster believes that Stempniak can fill several roles for coach Brent Sutter's Flames. Maloney also believes Stempniak is the kind of player that "can score 20 goals in a bad year."

He's entering the final year of a contract that carries a $1.9 million cap hit.

dh1333

amnesia.
Reaction score
I have to wonder what Phoenix is thinking. 4.5M for a player that put up 37 points in his last healthy season. If you're going to spend, spend it on something worth while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%