Karl Diagnosed With Treatable Throat Cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Denver Nuggets coach George Karl informed his team Tuesday afternoon that he is in another fight for his life with cancer.

Karl, who had been cancer-free since prostate surgery in July 2005, discovered a worrisome lump on his neck about six weeks ago. A biopsy determined that it was "very treatable and curable" form of throat cancer, Karl said, but it will still require an intense program of radiation and chemotherapy that will probably force him to miss some regular-season games.

"Cancer is a vicious opponent," he said. "Even the ones that are treatable, you never get a 100-percent guaranteed contract."

Treatment will consist of 35 sessions over the next six weeks. The sessions are expected to leave his throat extremely raw, requiring him to be fed through his stomach in the final weeks. "Keeping up your nutrition is a big part of the challenge," he said.

But not the biggest part. "I don't know that I've come to terms with this yet," he said of the cancer's return. "I have friends and family praying for me and the whole spiritual aspect is keeping me strong. But I'm not Superman."

Karl's uncertain future prompted he and Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke to hash out a one-year, $4.5 million extension last weekend directly. Karl chose not to make his condition public until after he finished coaching the Western Conference squad on Sunday and could return home to break the news to his team. The West lost to the East 141-139 in front of a record crowd of 108,713 in Cowboys Stadium, running Karl's record to NBA All-Star Games to 0-4.

"I'm starting the treatments now in hopes I'll be ready to go once the playoffs start," he said.

The only hint of his new battle over the weekend were gold "Hoops for St. Jude" pins he and the rest of his coaching staff wore on their lapels during Sunday's game. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is one of the leading pediatric cancer programs in the world. Karl and NBA players Pau Gasol, Rudy Gay, Shane Battier, Danny Granger, Kevin Love and Steve Blake all committed to making $20,000 donations to St. Jude in December.

Less than a year after George had surgery to treat his cancerous prostate, his college-aged son Coby was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Coby also underwent successful surgery and has played for several NBA teams since.

The league normally restricts any use of logos or insignias outside of its purview, but commissioner David Stern, aware of Karl's condition, made an exception on Sunday.

The Nuggets have a press conference scheduled for 7 p.m. MT on Tuesday, where Karl will address his condition.
Ahh poor guy, hope he is alright.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
George Karl announced on Tuesday that he has been diagnosed with squamous cell head/neck cancer.

While receiving treatment, Karl expects to miss periodic practices and games. He is optimistic he will make a full recovery.

“The support I’ve received from my family, the Nuggets organization and my friends in the basketball community already has been incredible,” Karl said.

Karl, 58, is a cancer survivor. He was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2005.

“George has been in contact with the organization in recent weeks regarding his health condition,” Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke said. “We will continue to support our head coach in any way we can. Our thoughts are with him and his family as he focuses on getting healthy."

Via Press Release

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn, his son had it too. Sucks.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You missed my thread.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Sucks to hear. I hope he gets cured.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hopefully everything works out.
he's definitely a fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%