Jose Tabata Gets Extension

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
PITTSBURGH -- The Pittsburgh Pirates have signed outfielder Jose Tabata to a six-year contract extension.

The Pirates announced Sunday that the deal comes with club options for 2017, 2018 and 2019.

A source close to the negotiations told ESPNdeportes.com's Enrique Rojas on Friday that Tabata's salary increases to $500,000 this season, along with a $1 million signing bonus in 2011. Tabata will make $750,000 in 2012, $1 million in 2013, $3 million in 2014, $4 million in 2015 and $4.5 million in 2016.

The source also said that Tabata broke apart from his former agency -- ACES, Inc. -- because of his negotiations with the Pirates.

"There were philosophical differences over some aspects of the contract, but there's still a lot of respect," the source said. "In the best interest of both, the parties decided to separate, without ruling out the possibility of working together again."

The 23-year-old Tabata is hitting .267 with 17 RBIs in 75 games this year with the Pirates. He also has four home runs, 14 doubles and 15 stolen bases.

Tabata made his major league debut last year on June 9 and hit .299 with 35 RBIs in 102 games.

Following the All-Star break, he produced a .322 average, which ranked seventh among all National League hitters. He had 93 hits, second in the league behind Colorado's Carlos Gonzalez.

Tabata was acquired by the Pirates from the New York Yankees in 2008.

Tabata would have been arbitration-eligible for the first time in 2014.
Good deal for the Pirates, locked him up cheap.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah good deal for the Bucs. I wonder if they're gonna sign McCutchen to a long term deal though.

Reaction score
There's no doubt they'll get McCutchen locked up long-term but I'm sure they are discussing it with him now seeing if there's any way they can save some money lol. As for Tabata, it's a good deal for the Pirates. He's a solid young player, and he's a great average hitter. Good move.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
There's no doubt they'll get McCutchen locked up long-term but I'm sure they are discussing it with him now seeing if there's any way they can save some money lol. As for Tabata, it's a good deal for the Pirates. He's a solid young player, and he's a great average hitter. Good move.
There's a very big doubt actually...

McCutchen is one of the best CFs in baseball and he is worthy of a big money deal that the Pirates probably aren't willing to give.

Reaction score
There's a very big doubt actually...

McCutchen is one of the best CFs in baseball and he is worthy of a big money deal that the Pirates probably aren't willing to give.
Trust me, after seeing a bit of success this past season, the Pirates are more than willing to give out some money. Do you really think they're going to let their fan favorite and best player walk? They've done that before with Jason Bay, but seriously, they know they are that close to competing. There's no way they let him walk.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Trust me, after seeing a bit of success this past season, the Pirates are more than willing to give out some money. Do you really think they're going to let their fan favorite and best player walk? They've done that before with Jason Bay, but seriously, they know they are that close to competing. There's no way they let him walk.
According to who? The Pirates have never been willing to pay their players.

They've only let their best player and fan favorite leave about 10 times this past decade.

Them competing this year was a complete fluke and they're still far off from competing. Not enough pitching and not enough production from their infield.

Reaction score
According to who? The Pirates have never been willing to pay their players.

They've only let their best player and fan favorite leave about 10 times this past decade.

Them competing this year was a complete fluke and they're still far off from competing. Not enough pitching and not enough production from their infield.
How can you call their success this season a fluke? No way. They've put up solid numbers quite a few times this year, and beat good teams. They have a TON of talent on that roster, and the reason they collapsed was because all of it is young talent. They haven't had this much young core talent in a long time, they won't let him walk.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I agree with BC, it was lucky enough for them to contend as long as they did.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
How can you call their success this season a fluke? No way. They've put up solid numbers quite a few times this year, and beat good teams. They have a TON of talent on that roster, and the reason they collapsed was because all of it is young talent. They haven't had this much young core talent in a long time, they won't let him walk.
McCutchen, Tabata, Alvarez, Neil Walker and....

I'm out of players that have promise on the Pirates MLB roster.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're not MLB ready but they're loaded in the minors in starting pitching.. Cole, Taillon, Allie. All have FOR stuff, Allie might end up in the bullpen tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%