Jered Weaver went against agent Scott Boras’ advice in signing five-year, $85 million extension

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rarely does agent Scott Boras advise a star client nearing free agency to bypass the open market and sign a long-term extension, let alone a long-term extension for a surprisingly reasonable rate. The only difference with Jered Weaver is that he ignored Boras’ advice.

In yesterday’s press conference officially announcing his five-year, $85 million deal Weaver explained that his desire to remain with the Angels outweighed Boras’ assurances that he could get an even bigger deal as a free agent after next season. Or as Weaver put it: “How much money do you really need in life?”

Here’s what Weaver had to say about Boras:

Obviously, he wants to give you the best options and free agency can give you the best options. He would have liked to have seen me gone, but I told him I wanted to get something done and he was more than willing to work with me about it that way.

And the commission on an $85 million extension is still a pretty nice chunk of change.

Weaver noted that Boras’ contentious negotiations with the Angels on his behalf as a draft pick in 2005 “was a rough time for me and my family” and “I didn’t want to have that feeling ever again.”

Plus, as Weaver explained: “If $85 [million] is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid.”

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's already rich enough with that 85 million dollar contract. He's very loyal to the Angels organization and as a person as a whole to realize this and not get blinded by the money. I respect him for that.

swoosh

Reaction score
“If $85 [million] is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid.”

Awesome quote.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
“How much money do you really need in life?”
he wants to be an Angel for a long time. he got choked up when talking about all the Angel legends throwing out first pitch this year and how he wants to be a part of that (Angels 50th anniversary this year and they've been honoring Angel greats all year)

I also heard he saw his brother go from team to team with a family and his mentor John Lackey getting lit up just for more money and he doesnt want to do that

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
"If $85 [million] is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid."

Awesome quote.
I have to give him a lot of credit for that, he realizes he's making plenty and doesn't need to be selfish about it when he could easily make more.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Seems kind of pointless to have Scott Boras as your agent if you aren't looking for top dollar.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Seems kind of pointless to have Scott Boras as your agent if you aren't looking for top dollar.
I agree, stupid move by Weaver, you go for the biggest contract every time. If he wouldve gone to the Yankees or Red Sox thats a guaranteed championship right there.

More people should learn from Weaver and realize that its all about the money and winning. No one wants to go to the Angels, just ask Carl Crawford and Mark Texieria.

Seriously, good for him if thats where he want to be.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Players don't have the same loyalty they used to because they allow their agents to influence them too much. They put ideas in their heads and it spreads like a virus.

But you can toy with the words all you want, all this story proves is Weaver is not a Dickhead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%