Jays interested in Heath Bell

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Blue Jays fans soon could be talking about an incoming relief pitcher, not the number of relievers general manager Alex Anthopoulos could ship out before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline.

FOXSports.com reported Thursday the Blue Jays have inquired to the San Diego Padres about 33-year-old closer Heath Bell, as well as set-up man Mike Adams, 32.

Bell, a free agent after the season, reportedly is coveted by several teams, including the Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Texas Rangers, Philadelphia Phillies, Cincinnati Reds and St. Louis Cardinals.

In 40 games this season entering Thursday, Bell had a 2-3 record, 2.52 earned-run average and 27 saves in 29 opportunities. He has also held opposing batters to a .224 average.

It's believed the Blue Jays, who are outside of the playoff picture in the American League East — sitting 11 games back of the first-place Red Sox entering play Thursday — could have a better chance at signing Bell by acquiring him now.

They could at least offer him salary arbitration and collect two high draft picks if he chooses to leave as a Type A free agent.

Anthopoulos could pick up Bell or Adams and flips him for another player or prospects, much the way he did earlier this season when catcher/first baseman Mike Napoli arrived in the Vernon Wells deal and quickly was sent to Texas for relief pitcher Frank Francisco.

Bell told the Union Tribune newspaper in San Diego that the odds of him being traded are "at 90 per cent."
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/story/2011/07/21/sp-bell-bluejays.html#ixzz1Slql9GvX

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays acquired him just for 2 draft picks. AA loves draft picks lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This doesn't make much sense for the Jays..

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It doesn't but I thought he was younger than that. AA is probably only interested because he loves draft picks. If he can package some of the low ceiling prospects for Bell he'd probably do it. I'd love to have Bell though. He's a funny dude.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Definitely don't see it happening. Heath Bell is going to command some nice prospects, you're not going to get him for cheap.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
This doesn't make much sense for the Jays..
Exactly, its not like they are a closer away from making the playoffs. Keep your prospects and continue to build your farm system. This is really retarded.

H-MYK

Reaction score
I can't see the Jays making this. I rather keep my prospects and build.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%