Girardi: "Burnett Will Be on a Short Leash"

Reaction score
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Monday that ALDS Game 4 starter A.J. Burnett will be on a short leash.

Rafael Soriano, David Robertson and Mariano Rivera are all fairly well-rested, and could be used early if Burnett runs into trouble. The overpaid right-hander posted a disappointing 5.15 ERA in 190 1/3 innings this regular season and owns a poor 5.67 career ERA in the playoffs.. Detroit leads the series 2-1 and can advance to the ALCS with a victory Tuesday night at Comerica Park.

rotoworld
Burnett shouldn't even be pitching in the first place in my opinion, but Yankees fans better hope to God that he's able to come out of this game with a good outing. If he does what he's done all year, then their season will be over. Good at least to see that he's on a short leash I guess, but still.

Thoughts?

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Who else would you pitch..?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Was Colon left off the playoff roster?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Why'd they go with Burnett instead of him?

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Why'd they go with Burnett instead of him?
Colon's basically broken down in terms of effectiveness. Granted Burnett hasn't been anything to talk about either but he finished the season better and the Yankees felt he was beginning to turn it around a little.

I actually have some faith in AJ. He was in the same situation last year when he got a start against the Rangers in the ALCS and actually threw pretty well with the exception of one pitch to Bengie Molina...which unfortunately was a three run homerun.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDK, historically he has been a pretty bad playoff pitcher.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Still, I even feel more comfortable with AJ on the mound then Colon, even though I don't feel comfortable with either.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
could possibly see Yankees do what Texas did today. Middle of the game if it's still close, maybe they bring in Nova for an inning.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
could possibly see Yankees do what Texas did today. Middle of the game if it's still close, maybe they bring in Nova for an inning.
That wouldn't happen. I understand that you have to do anything to win this game, even if it means screwing yourself over in the next game, if there is one, but I just can't see that happening since we have Hughes who can go 4 or 5 out of the bullpen if AJ only gives us two innings and we can put it together from there.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I bet they wish they traded Hughes or Joba for Grandy instead of Ian Kennedy.
Ian Kennedy had a great season but I doubt he would have done what he did in the AL East. He was pretty ineffective on the Yankees, but maybe he figured something out last year, who knows.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I personally still think Hughes is a good pitcher and can turn it around

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Ian Kennedy had a great season but I doubt he would have done what he did in the AL East. He was pretty ineffective on the Yankees, but maybe he figured something out last year, who knows.
he was also very young when he was still on the Yankees.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
That wouldn't happen. I understand that you have to do anything to win this game, even if it means screwing yourself over in the next game, if there is one, but I just can't see that happening since we have Hughes who can go 4 or 5 out of the bullpen if AJ only gives us two innings and we can put it together from there.
what's Hughes' numbers been outta the pen? Because his ERA this year was ugly from what I saw but idk if he lowered his ERA out of the Pen.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
what's Hughes' numbers been outta the pen? Because his ERA this year was ugly from what I saw but idk if he lowered his ERA out of the Pen.
He only faced 12 hitters out of the pen this season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%