Forcier leaves Michigan, Robinson next?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Forcier appears done at Michigan; is Denard next?

At the press conference officially introducing him as Michigan’s head coach, Brady Hoke likely won over a sizable percentage of Wolverine Nation with a fiery and emotional performance, including a display of passion for the rivalry with “that school in Ohio” not seen during the Rich Rodriguez years.

Now, Hoke may have to win over his starting quarterback if he wants to keep him as part of the football program. Especially as the backup in 2010 appears to be officially out the door.

Denard Robinson, a very staunch Rodriguez supporter, has been very much on the fence as to whether or not he will return if RichRod were to be dismissed. ”No response,” Robinson said when asked following the Wolverines’ bowl loss about coming back in 2011.

Shortly before Hoke’s press conference Wednesday, Robinson was asked again whether he would stay at Michigan or if he would transfer.

“No comment,” Robinson said. The sophomore added that he had not yet spoken to Hoke, so obviously there’s still very much a chance the new coach can retain a player who was far and away the team’s most valuable performer in 2010.

Interestingly, Hoke said he spent 15 minutes talking to Robinson; the reason for that apparent disconnect is unclear. What is clear is that Hoke is willing to do whatever it takes to keep Robinson on the roster and continue to build the offense around him.

“We’ve got a special guy in Denard – he’s a guy that can do things for your football team,” Hoke said.

While the door is open for a Robinson return, there doesn’t appear to be a chance to salvage the U-M career of Tate Forcier. Athletic director David Brandon confirmed this afternoon that the backup QB — and 2009 starter — is not a member of the team at this time. Forcier had been suspended for the Gator Bowl due to academic issues, and he’s currently not enrolled in classes this semester.

The speculation making the rounds is that Forcier will ultimately transfer to Montana to continue his collegiate career.

Fortunately for the Wolverines, all is not lost even if they lose both Robinson and Forcier. Waiting in the wings to step in is Devin Gardner, arguably the most talented all-around quarterback of the three.

-CFT
Yeah, this coaching carousel has cost Michigan a few solid quarterbacks in the past 8 years...most notably Ryan Mallett. Unless Robinson tries his luck in the NFL early or gets hurt, Forcier isn't going to get any playing time. Do I think Robinson will leave? No. I know he loves Rich-Rod but I don't see Rodriguez finding another gig this season. Shoelace is better off staying in the spotlight, inside the Big House on Saturdays.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No one really cares bout Forcier lol.
But it doesn't sound like Shoelace will leave, which is good news. However, it will be interesting to see how we use him next season.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
cry me a river, uom fans :p

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Neither will be effective as QB's in a traditional offense. Robinson was recruited as a potential DB/WR by Florida and UGA. We'll see what they decide to do with him.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Neither will be effective as QB's in a traditional offense. Robinson was recruited as a potential DB/WR by Florida and UGA. We'll see what they decide to do with him.
I hope that's where he is next season.
Gardner > Robinson
In the pro-offense.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Robinson is the type of guy though where, espcially at Michigan, they have to be able to use them somewhere. If not at QB, heck put him at RB. Dude was 2nd in the nation in rushing...

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Robinson is the type of guy though where, espcially at Michigan, they have to be able to use them somewhere. If not at QB, heck put him at RB. Dude was 2nd in the nation in rushing...
Denard probably wants to play QB though and he's not nearly as effective at RB, especially since he's not fit to run between the tackles with how small he is. He definitely needs to transfer if they're changing their offense.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well it was confirmed that he will be staying. Excited to see how we use him..

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Never thought Shoelace would leave, but Tate, yeah that's a shocker :lol:

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Denard probably wants to play QB though and he's not nearly as effective at RB, especially since he's not fit to run between the tackles with how small he is. He definitely needs to transfer if they're changing their offense.
They're changing the offense. Plenty of backs (on both the college and NFL levels) aren't fit to run between the tackles, but their speed make up for it. Look at a guy like Danny Woodhead, perfect example. I think Robinson could develop into a good RB/WR type player that they can also obviously use as a weapon in the Wildcat.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tate's father is backing away from reports that his son wants to leave the school. I guess Tate expects to stay enrolled at Michigan and plans to get back onto the team in 2011.

But also bare in mind, Tate's father also claimed his son did not have academic issues......before Forcier was held out of the bowl game for academic ineligibility.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
denard needs to change positions because he isnt going pro at qb. might aswell make the switch now so he can get better at where he ends up playing. and i dont see him sticking at qb in michigan

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't get how Tate couldn't play in the Bowl Game for academics, but Tressel can play his starters for what they did..

The Edge

Reaction score
I don't get how Tate couldn't play in the Bowl Game for academics, but Tressel can play his starters for what they did..

As much as people want to disagree with me, I swear it was to get Ohio State a bowl victory over an SEC team. Thats also why I think Arkansas was handpicked despite being beaten by Bama in the year. Arkansas was the one team I knew that Ohio State would be able to beat because of the Petrino offense. I didn't think Ohio State would have hung with Bama and South Carolina even though they got murdered by Arkansas. I even think LSU would have rolled over them but somehow the Sugar Bowl takes Arkansas

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
They're changing the offense. Plenty of backs (on both the college and NFL levels) aren't fit to run between the tackles, but their speed make up for it. Look at a guy like Danny Woodhead, perfect example. I think Robinson could develop into a good RB/WR type player that they can also obviously use as a weapon in the Wildcat.
I was saying too small to run between the tackles from an injury standpoint. He was getting banged up last year and he was only running as a QB. If he's playing running back he's going to get demolished.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%