CONNOLLY READY TO GET BACK TO HEALTH, SUCCESS IN TORONTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score

Tim Connolly is ready for a change of scenery.

While the 30-year-old American centre has spent the majority of his career in Buffalo and put up his best seasons as a Sabre, Connolly often drew the ire of the fans for his inability to stay healthy.

Connolly was limited to an average of just over 40 games per season in the four years following the NHL lockout of 2004-05 due to a rash of injuries to his hip and back as well as a history of concussions.

However, Connolly has played a respectable 141 games in the past two seasons. A return to health is part of what made him an attractive off-season target for the Leafs and why he decided to head north.

"I think it's going to be good for me to have a fresh start," Connolly said. "I'm re-energized and a little more excited to play now."

If the scrutiny he faced from fans in Buffalo was ever a concern for the playmaking centre, he certainly isn't talking like a man afraid of the limelight.

"It doesn't get much better than Buffalo when you're in the U.S," Connolly said. "But Toronto is the New York Yankees of hockey."

As for the fans in Buffalo and the 'Tiny Tim' moniker they bestowed upon Connolly for his on-ice fragility, the new Leaf appears to be willing to forgive and forget.

"Everybody's entitled to their own opinion and it's not really an issue for me," he said after a practice session with his new teammates. "I had a great time there. Great fans, great city to play in, it's a great hockey city. We had a few great runs there to Conference Finals and came close, but overall I had a great time."

If Connolly can put together a healthy 2011-12 campaign, he could flourish on a young Leafs roster. Penciled in as the team's number one centre heading into the season, Connolly could see a big jump in his assist totals if he can find early chemistry with a certain young Leafs sniper.

"He's a shooter and I'm more of a passer, so if I'm playing with him, I'm just going to try to get him the puck in the shooting area," Connolly said of fellow former fifth-overall pick Phil Kessel. "He can score from anywhere."

As for entering a roster on which he is one of the oldest players, it doesn't seem to bother him one bit.

"They have a good young team, it's something that I was really looking forward to being a part of."
-TSN

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
I still don't think his the right center for Kessel but for sure this team is going to be better with Connolly this season if he stays healthy

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
I'd like to say Toronto will be a better place for him to play, but im still not sure. Buffalo is a playoff team, and Toronto has potential to become a playoff team. I have to say the change of scenery wont do much, depending on how healthy he stays throughout the season

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he stays healthy, I'd say he's a great pickup but that remains to be seen. I'm excited to see him on the first line. He's a good center.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
It will be a good opportunity for him to prove himself but health is a big factor and thats why im not sure if the change will do much

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He'll probably end up getting hurt again lol.

Mr.Baller

Reaction score
But imagine if they had Brad Richards instead of Connoly oO

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
than it would be no question if they were making the playoffs or not lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%