Commissioner Bud Selig ‘firm’ about leaving post after 2012 season

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PHOENIX — Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said Tuesday that he is "firm" about leaving office when his current term expires after the 2012 season.

Selig changed his mind in the past and accepted extensions from team owners but said this time he plans to exit when his contract is up.

"I feel firm about it," Selig said during his annual interview session with members of the Baseball Writers Association of America at the All-Star Game.

"This will be 20 years (in office). That’s a long time in this job. I’m going to be 78 (next year). I have begun teaching and there are other things I want to do, including writing a book. I’m looking forward to it. I’m comfortable with that."

Some believe owners will find a way to persuade Selig to accept another extension as they have in the past, but he continues to say no. Before he leaves, however, he must help negotiate another labor deal with the players’ union. The current agreement expires at the end of the year.

"Talks have started," said Selig. "They’re ongoing and they’re constructive. There will be issues and differences of opinion. They have a job to do; we have a job to do. But it’s a far cry from what labor negotiations were in the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, for that matter."

With the NFL and NBA both embroiled in labor disputes, Selig noted that Major League Baseball has never been healthier or more popular, a good reason not to shut it down for any reason. He pointed to the game’s increased parity, a result of the changing of the game’s economic system.

"I’m really pleased with what’s happened thus far," he said. "I really believe we have more competition than we’ve ever had. We’ve had some great surprises in Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Arizona. All of our economic barometers are very strong.

"People say baseball isn’t what it used to be, but that’s just sheer nonsense. It stuns me when I hear that. This sport is more popular than it’s ever been. We are in position to have an outstanding year right to the very end."

Defending Jeter: New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has drawn criticism for not coming to the All-Star Game after being elected by the fans. Jeter, who recently came off the DL, collected his 3,000th hit Saturday and then begged out of the game to recoup mentally and physically.

Selig said he supported Jeter’s position and insisted the criticism was unjust.

"There isn’t a player in the last 15 years that I’m more proud of than Derek Jeter," said Selig. "He has played the game like it should be played. He’s been an even better human being off the field, as great as he is on the field.

"I know why Derek Jeter isn’t here. I respect that. And I must tell you I think I’d make the same decision as Derek Jeter. Any suggestion that I or anybody else is unhappy with him about not being here is just false.

"I’m proud of what he has done. I told him that last Saturday on the phone and I’ve told him that often."

Soldiering on: No player arrived at the All-Star Game with a heavier heart than Texas outfielder Josh Hamilton . It was Hamilton who flipped a ball to Rangers fan Shannon Stone last Thursday, only to watch Stone tumble out of the stands and be fatally injured.

Hamilton, who survived a well-chronicled drug addiction to become one of the biggest stars in the game, understandably was devastated. But, two days later, he went 4 for 5 against Oakland and won the game with a walk-off homer, only the second of his career.

"It’s been an absolute emotional roller coaster," said Hamilton. "You go from the accident to the Rangers winning games, to a (seven-game) winning streak to having a walk-off the other night to being here.

"Life has to go on. Obviously, I’m going to have some feelings about the Stone family and everything that happened. But I also have joy about being here. The fans wanted to see me play."

Texas manager Ron Washington, the AL skipper, said Hamilton has handled "everything with class."

"He has learned to balance things and learned how to separate things," said Washington. "These things come from being in the fire and gaining experience. He’s getting to the point where he’s an elite athlete and also an elite person."

Selig was asked if ball clubs could do anything to prevent any such accidents in the future.

"For years, we talked about how we should be fan friendly and the players shouldn’t turn their backs," said Selig. "It was a horrible accident. It’s heartbreaking, it really is. I noted a CNN poll taken that 91 percent of the fans said they hoped there would be no changes.

"I think everybody is reviewing parts of their ballparks. Maybe there are some things they can or can’t do. What I would say is that common sense should always take over in those situations. To say we should do this or shouldn’t do that, I can’t."
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/other_mlb/view.bg?&articleid=1351531&format=&page=2&listingType=mlb#articleFull

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%