Chad Ford Mock Draft 3.0

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
1. Charlotte Bobcats - Anthony Davis, PF Kentucky
How bad do the Bobcats want Anthony Davis? They have lost 12 straight and got blown out of the water at home by the second-worst team in the league, the Wizards, on Monday night. Of all the players in the draft, Davis is the only one who could make a dramatic impact in Year 1. No team needs him more than the Bobcats.

2. Washington Wizards - Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, SF Kentucky
Kidd-Gilchrist, like the other Kentucky players, still hasn't officially declared for the draft, but he will. The Wizards desperately need MKG's leadership, toughness and work ethic. But I hear they also may be tempted by Brad Beal's shooting and the upside of Andre Drummond. I think the Beal vs. Kidd-Gilchrist scenario is a toss-up. But after the Kwame Brown and JaVale McGee experiences, I would be surprised if Washington chased Drummond.

3. New Orleans Hornets - Thomas Robinson, PF Kansas
The Hornets have to consider Drummond here. He's bigger and probably better defensively than Robinson. But if they're trying to build a team around winners, then Robinson is their guy. He would bring toughness, physicality and energy to the paint for the Hornets.

4. Sacramento Kings - Andre Drummond, C UConn
The Kings have plenty of players who can score the basketball, but they could use some help on the defensive end. While Drummond has a long way to go offensively, he was an effective defensive player at UConn and seems like an ideal fit alongside DeMarcus Cousins.

5. Toronto Raptors - Bradley Beal, SG Florida
The Raptors already have DeMar Derozan in the backcourt, but I doubt they'd pass on the chance to land Beal. The Florida 2-guard has the ability to play point guard and would give Toronto a shooter with deep range -- an ability that DeRozan lacks.

6. Cleveland Cavaliers - Harrison Barnes, SF UNC
Last year, the Cavs were praying that Barnes stayed in the draft so they could select him with the No. 4 pick. But Barnes decided to stay in school. This year, things may still work out for Barnes and the Cavs, who could really use a shooter and another scorer on the wing.

7. Portland Trail Blazers - Damian Lillard, PG Weber State
The Blazers grabbed this pick from the Nets as part of the Gerald Wallace trade. It's top-3 protected, so the pick could revert to New Jersey if the Nets keep losing. The Blazers need help at both backcourt positions and at center. They could go a number of ways here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab Lillard. He's quick, he can score and distribute and he can play both backcourt positions.

8. Detroit Pistons - Jared Sullinger, PF Ohio State
The Pistons need a center. They could reach a little and bring in Tyler Zeller. Or they can be content with Greg Monroe at the center position and add Sullinger to the mix. Sully doesn't play above the rim, but he does rebound and has great hands. At this point, I think the Pistons would pass on trying to hit a home run and just get someone who could help a little.

9. Utah Jazz - Kendall Marshall, PG UNC
The Jazz are set with talented young players at every position on the floor except point guard. Enes Kanter is the center of the future. Derrick Favors is set to take over at power forward. Gordon Hayward is doing his thing at small forward and the team is high on Alec Burks at the 2. Enter Marshall. While I think the Jazz might prefer Lillard, in this mock he's no longer on the board. Marshall is the best pure point guard in the group. He's not a great shooter, nor is he an elite athlete, but he makes everyone around him better.

10. New Orleans Hornets - Tyler Zeller, C UNC
With their first pick we have the Hornets taking a power forward. Here they can add some help in the middle. Zeller doesn't project to be a star, but he's big, he runs the floor well and he has a soft touch around the basket. The Hornets can certainly use him.

11. Portland Trail Blazers - Perry Jones III, PF Baylor
Jones may be a risk if selected with one of the first picks in the draft. But later in the lottery, he becomes a bargain. His size, athletic ability and skill level are all sky-high. He doesn't always play hard and really wants to be a wing more than a big, but at a certain point the reward outweighs the risk. A rebuilding Portland team could be a nice situation for Jones.

12. Milwaukee Bucks - Terrence Jones, PF Kentucky
ones is one of the more unique talents in the draft. He can play multiple positions, can rebound and block shots and can step outside and hit a 3. The Bucks have always liked versatile players like Jones. If he matures and plays with more consistency, he could be a steal this low in the draft.

13. Utah Jazz - Jeremy Lamb, SG UConn
Lamb has elite talent, but his laid-back demeanor has given scouts pause. Higher in the draft, he's a bit of a risk. But down here he would be a good bargain for the Jazz as they continue to rebuild their backcourt.

14. Phoenix Suns - Austin Rivers, SG Duke
The Suns need a little bit of everything, but what they really need is star power. With Steve Nash possibly on the move this summer, someone has to sell tickets. If Rivers ever lives up to his potential, he could be a great get this low. He's going to have to rein in his game and get comfortable with who he is at the NBA level, but the talent is definitely there.

15. Houston Rockets - John Henson, PF UNC
The Rockets lack long, athletic bigs, and Henson would give them a defensive presence who can guard both forward positions. He's still raw offensively, but he has a little Andrei Kirilenko in his game.

16. Philadelphia 76ers - Terrence Ross, SG Washington
Jodie Meeks is the closest thing the Sixers have to a great 3-point shooter. Adding Ross would be an instant upgrade at the backup shooting guard spot.

17. Denver Nuggets - Meyers Leonard, C Illinois
Leonard is a bit of a project, but he's big and athletic and he'll play defense. He won't be a stud in Year 1, but he brings quite a bit of upside at this point in the draft.

18. Dallas Mavericks - Tony Wroten Jr., PG Washington
The Mavs are going to have to start rebuilding this summer and could use some star power next to Dirk. Wroten has the ability to be one of the top five players in this draft if he matures and gets a passable jump shot. His size, scoring ability and court vision are NBA-caliber.

19. New Jersey Nets - Arnett Moultrie, PF Mississippi State
The Nets could use size and athleticism in the frontcourt, and Moultrie could be one of the sleepers of this draft. He's got an NBA body and athletic ability, and he produced for Mississippi State this past season. If he were a year or two younger, he'd be 10 spots higher.

20. Boston Celtics - Royce White, SF Iowa State
White has as much talent as nearly everyone else in this draft. But there are questions about some off-court issues and an anxiety disorder that includes a fear of flying. I think Doc Rivers might be the perfect coach for him.

21. Orlando Magic - Fab Melo, C Syracuse
It looks like Dwight Howard may be leaving sooner or later and, at some point, the Magic have to start thinking about his replacement. Melo is miles away from being Howard, but he is big, can block shots and can rebound. If he stays focused and in shape, he could be good value here.

22. Memphis Grizzlies - Jeff Taylor, SF Vanderbilt
Taylor is super athletic, can guard three positions and finally found a long-range jump shot this season. He's a bit older than teams would like, but his potential on the defensive end would justify his selection here.

23. Atlanta Hawks - Dion Waiters, SG Syracuse
The Hawks traded away Jamal Crawford and lost that instant spark off the bench. Enter Waiters. He's a pure scorer who always plays in attack mode. He could easily come in and average 15 points per game.

24. Boston Celtics - C.J. Leslie, PF NC State
Leslie is still trying to figure out if he's going to stay in the draft. If he does, the Celtics could use a player like him, with both size and upside. He's still a little raw, but Leslie is an elite athlete who is really starting to put things together.

25. Indiana Pacers - Marquis Teague, PG Kentucky
Not only do the Pacers need more help at the point, but Teague is an Indy native who would be a great get here. He's not the pure point guard the Pacers really need, but he can push the ball effectively, get to the basket and create problems as a defender.

26. Cleveland Cavaliers - Moe Harkless, SF St. John's
Harkless reminds me a little of Trevor Ariza. He's a terrific scorer and defender who needs to get a more settled jump shot.

27. Miami Heat - Draymond Green, SF Michigan State
The Heat need players with experience who excel in bringing out the best in their teammates. Green can be a point-forward type who does a little of everything. Think of him as a better-passing Udonis Haslem.

28. Golden State Warriors - Andrew Nicholson, PF St. Bonaventure
Nicholson has gotten dramatically better every season and has some David West to his game. He would be a good fit in Golden State as a backup to David Lee.

29. Oklahoma City Thunder - Evan Fournier, SG France
This draft is pretty thin on international players, with Fournier the only player with a serious shot at landing in the first round. He's a scorer who is putting up impressive numbers in Europe at a young age, making him a nice pick-and-stash prospect for the Thunder.

30. Chicago Bulls - Doron Lamb, SG Kentucky
The Bulls are always looking for shooters and would have a tough decision between Lamb and Vandy's John Jenkins here. Both are lights out from long range, but I give Lamb the nod because he has a little more versatility than Jenkins.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I guess I'd be happy with Draymond Green, but I'd much rather have a 7 footer who's going to crash the boards with reckless abandon and play some decent post D. We need a rebounder. Ronny Turiaf and Joel Anthony are hot garbage.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really hope we don't end up with Sullinger.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I guess I'd be happy with Draymond Green, but I'd much rather have a 7 footer who's going to crash the boards with reckless abandon and play some decent post D. We need a rebounder. Ronny Turiaf and Joel Anthony are hot garbage.
Those don't grow on trees...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%