Allen Claims NBA is 'A lot Softer' Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Celtics guard Ray Allen, a veteran of 13 seasons, remembers a time when a well-placed elbow was commonplace in the NBA.

Before Tuesday night's Game 2 between the Celtics and Heat in Boston, the veteran commented on the difference in the game today.

"The league is a lot softer," Allen said less than 72 hours after teammate Kevin Garnett elbowed Miami's Quentin Richardson in the final moments of Game 1.

Garnett was suspended one game for his actions in Boston's victory.

"The slightest little touch and you're at the foul line," Allen said of today's game. "It's like you have to be tricky."

Allen then gave a perfect example of how the NBA has changed over the course of his career.

"Reggie [Miller] would grab my hands and throw them one way while going the other way," he said, adding that he was expected by referees and coaches to defend such a move.

"That's what made guys so great at what they did."
RealGM.com

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea, the league is definitely a lot softer now. It seems like there are way too many fouls called especially during crucial times in the game during the playoffs. I see a lot of phantom fouls as well a lot nowadays which is just so gay.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ray is speaking nothing but the truth. The league is a lot softer...could you honestly see some of these guys in being able to play against the bad boys pistons and jordan bulls. I cant see it at all.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He is correct. Glad someone finally says it lol.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's still sad that this was right after the Garnett elbow. It's not like that was during play, you can't elbow someone on or off the court. Especially off it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i remember a couple years back i was working on a spin move in the post where i used an elbow to clear space lol. the league is as soft as wet tissue, it is kinda sad. but the image they have to protect is so little kids dont gro up playing dirty.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wish I was around back in the Bad Boys era. When the league was full of men lol.
Dudes like Wade and Kobe have killed the league.

I actually respect players like Bowen and Garnett, they aren't puss-bags.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I swear you hated Garnett lol. I still do.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I do hate Garnett, but I respect him.
Well I no longer hate him really, I've come to respect him a lot lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Garnett is a puss-bag.. The guy runs away from anything that doesn't involve a small PG.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lol I still remember this...

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I'm glad someone finally said it. Good job Allen. Every little touch is a foul now and it pisses me off. And BTW, LMAO at cheato's sig.

Whisper

Living like a Don in my own mind
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wish I was around back in the Bad Boys era. When the league was full of men lol.
Dudes like Wade and Kobe have killed the league.

I actually respect players like Bowen and Garnett, they aren't puss-bags.
Oh man, I'd love it if the league today had the attitude of the early 90s lol. Players today are a lot more bigger, athletic, and just overall talented. But if guys today were as physical and smart as players were back then that'd make things a hell of a lot more exciting. Now you see why I always back the Spurs and respect the Pistons earlier this decade, and have always backed players like Bruce Bowen and Ron Artest. People call them "dirty" but that's just sports.

I don't watch sports to watch guys shake hands and just run around all day giving smiles and all that. Sports is supposed to be competitive. I don't care about scoring a lot, give me something to watch. I'm tired of guys being all apprehensive now during interviews and on the court because of these stupid rules. Where'd all the trash talk on and off the court go? Go back go back go back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%