AA leaving Blue Jays

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TORONTO – Alex Anthopoulos is leaving the Toronto Blue Jays less than a week after the American League East champions were eliminated from the post-season, rejecting an extension to remain as general manager, according to multiple sources.

The stunning and franchise-altering departure comes with the looming arrival of Mark Shapiro, who was hired Aug. 31 and is scheduled to take the reins as president and CEO from Paul Beeston on Monday. While details are unclear at the moment, the issues leading to the split aren’t thought to be financial.

The two sides had plenty of time to work out an extension and what should have been straightforward became complicated. During his season-wrap news conference Monday, Anthopoulos said it was his decision not to negotiate during the playoffs, and added, “All I can say is I love being here, I love Toronto, I’ve always maintained that, and that’s probably as far as I’d go with that.”

Whatever the circumstances, the parting comes just as the franchise appeared set to turn the corner after ending a post-season drought dating back to 1993, and with the business of the off-season set to kick off once the World Series ends.

What comes next for the Blue Jays, who lost the AL Championship Series in six games to the Kansas City Royals, is a big question.

Shapiro is an accomplished executive who served as GM of the Cleveland Indians from 2002-10, winning the AL Central in 2007, before taking over as the team president. One possibility is that he takes over control of baseball operations with the Blue Jays, or perhaps hire a GM to execute his vision.

The departure of Anthopoulos also raises questions about the fate of his top front office lieutenants, including longtime assistant GM Tony LaCava, as well as manager John Gibbons, who is under contract through 2016 and will have 2017 guaranteed and a club option for 2018 added if he makes it to Jan. 1.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

This is surprising. I thought it was pretty much guaranteed he was coming back... and I'm definitely wondering why he rejected an extension.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A lot of speculation that it has to do with Shapiro

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This surprises me, but at the same time, I'm not really worried. Sure, he's made some great moves. Like great. 

With that being said, he's made some really shitty moves (losing a ton of value from the Marlins trade, Dickey trade, etc..). I think Shapiro will hire someone who's just as good if not a better gm than AA. 

Wish him luck though. After the season the Jays had, I don't think he'll have a difficult time finding a gm gig in the major leagues. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rios said:
A lot of speculation that it has to do with Shapiro
AA probably wanted full control of the team.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Or it could mean he's got another offer sonewhere.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AA: "I have no job lined up," focus has been on #BlueJays. "What happens after that I have no idea"

he could just be saying that, who knows. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I am confused as to why AA wouldn't sign an extension. Shapiro was barely involved in the Indians actual baseball decisions near the end of his tenure, it was all Antonetti. Shapiro mainly was involved in the business side of things. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Clash of philosophies, probably? Idk

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There was some report on Shapiro allegedly "scolding" the Jays front office for thinning out their farm system with all the trades. Not sure I buy that, but yea, Shapiro was certainly not known for dealing top prospects. The one exception being the Ubaldo trade. 

Not sure how analytical the Blue Jays were under AA, but Shapiro is heavily invested in that department as well. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
snipezo said:
he could just be saying that, who knows.
theres no gm opening right now so hes not lying

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Blue Jays have an opening, maybe he'll get some interest there 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
There was some report on Shapiro allegedly "scolding" the Jays front office for thinning out their farm system with all the trades. Not sure I buy that, but yea, Shapiro was certainly not known for dealing top prospects. The one exception being the Ubaldo trade. 

Not sure how analytical the Blue Jays were under AA, but Shapiro is heavily invested in that department as well. 
AA relied heavily on scouting iirc.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AA did seem to draft really well honestly. And from what he says the farm system is still really strong even after the deals.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/659838944704598016

Seems like a likely hire to me. I think he would have poached Mike Shernoff if the Indians didn't promote him and Antonetti. 

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mexi said:
theres no gm opening right now so hes not lying
Friedman apparently contacted him for a FO job. Kinda surprised because AA is not really heavy on analytics.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Doesnt he scout well

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I just don't see him turning down a multi-year extension unless he's got other job prospects. 

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tony LaCava, who was our assistant GM, is now named our interim GM going forward into FA. He's worked with Shapiro before.

H-MYK

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's accurate, but from what I have been hearing, AA wanted full control of the team but Rogers wouldn't allow it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%