2019-20 GM of the Year

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Voting for 2019-20 GM of the Year is now open. Please send your votes to @CameronCrazy06 via PM *ON THIS SITE*. I would encourage anyone who feels they deserve the award to make a case for themselves, and for everybody to wait to hear said cases before casting your vote. The more discussion/debate we get in this thread, the better.

While you can make a case for yourself, you cannot vote for yourself.

Voting will close when the playoffs begin. It's a regular season award. Always a chance you could get paid for voting, so you should vote. Just fucking vote.

Past Winners:

2018-19: $tunna
2017-18: Will
2016-17: Cheddar (should've been .inf tbh)
2015-16: GMOTY
2014-15: CameronCrazy06
2013-14: DJT
2012-13: Cheddar
2011-12: .G9
2010-11: daulten780

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I'll start this off... I truly think I deserve to win GMOTY this year. After making it to the Finals and coming one game away from winning the trophy last year, I easily could've stayed with my same team, but I chose to go in a different direction. I traded away Chris Paul (the sim league GOAT) and Wilson Chandler (a move many questioned), but reconstructed my team in a way that I think made me better this season AND more financially flexible in the future. I revived Kawhi Leonard's career when he looked like a bust for his first eight seasons (21.4 PPG, 6.2 RPG). I maintained a top 4 offense in the league, but more importantly a top 4 defense despite starting a guy in Kuzma who most around the league would consider a liability on that end. I held five G-League eligible players on my roster and still have all my draft picks. I have about $100 million in cap space going into the off-season, setting me up for the best free agency class the league has seen. And with all that said about the future, I still finished tied for first in my conference and have as good a chance as anybody to win the title again. So yes, I believe I deserve this award. And I know I'm the commissioner, but facts are facts. I didn't need to rely on CPU free agency, or lottery bounces, or anything fluky to get to where I am.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
When you think of the Chicago Bulls franchise in this sim league, only one term comes to mind:

Playoff Success.

I mean, look at the franchise’s results. There was that time in 2016 where they won Game 1 (and then lost the next 4 straight)! The Bulls were an 8 seed in the inaugural season too, and…. well that’s it. Playoff success!!

Two playoff appearances in nine seasons, with a win percentage that was the 4th worst in the entire league history. To say the Bulls franchise hasn’t been great is an understatement and a half. But that’s where I come in.

I took over a Bulls team, who’s three best players were Trae Young (7th in turnovers last year while only scoring 13.7ppg), rookie Brandon Clarke, and what I would later learn is one of the worst players in the league (Gary Harris). This is a team that had won 57 games over the past two seasons combined, and I was looking not to continue on a tank to get young rookies but rather bring winning basketball back to Chicago (who haven’t won a playoff series since 2006-07).

With my cap space, I didn’t just randomly select targets while throwing darts at a wall. I sent in only two 4-year max bids as they were my primaries and my Plan A: Avery Bradley and Eric Bledsoe (ask Brack I told him prior to FA). I could have sent those max deals to other players that were higher ranked by most (Boogie, PG13, etc), and built a different team, but I didn’t because I wanted a strong defensive focused team. Next, I took Clarke and shipped him off to get Hassan Whiteside, the 2x DPOTY that I’ve coveted since being a GM of the Kings. Finally I shipped off Trae and some 1sts for Lauri Markkanen, which was considered by some to be an overpay, yet my picks aren’t special and while Trae would have been on the bench for me, Lauri puts up decent numbers offensively for me while being a positive defender and the third best rebounder in the league among SFs.

We started off the season decently slow with a 14-13 start, but injuries had a major part of that. In thirteen games (almost half), either Bradley or Bledsoe were hurt and left the game early or were DNPs. And it truly opened my eyes and told me that I needed another guard to add to the team, so we don’t completely implode if another injury occurs. With that I traded for the third head of the Backcourt B’s, Patrick Beverley, and from that point on led by these three fantastic defenders we go on a 46-9 run, to finish the year 59-23, tied for the best in the league. Again this franchise had 57 wins over the previous two seasons combined.

This team has constantly been overlooked, and yet has developed into one of the best teams in the league. We far exceeded the win total in @Bozo The Clown's season preview, and only 3/10 roundtable answers had us as a Top 4 seed (with two saying we’d miss the playoffs -- im looking at you @Teagz and @notail ). Bradley had a career year with me, increasing his scoring over ten points by eclipsing the 30ppg mark for the first time. We also managed to achieve our win total while staying under the luxury tax, something that teams like Indiana, Sacramento, Houston, and Dallas could not do. And do you know how many playoff teams this year improved their record by 5+ wins? Just one — and we did it by a +34 win improvement.

TL;DR:
• 34 win improvement (only playoff team to go above +4 wins YoY)
• didnt go over lux tax (unlike most teams)
• 46-9 since trading for Pat Bev
• Bradley had a career year

Exceeded EVERYONE's expectations

Bozo The Clown

Reaction score
-I didn’t max Rudy Gay
-I earned Giannis an award
-I receive daily verbal abuse for being a youth killer, therefore I need this cash to reverse the curse

Vote for me, winner of 20 games and the man that engineered the league’s single most impressive turnover season ever.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I traded KD and i started winning pls give my money now. Thanks.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hear me out on this, just wanna throw some things out there

- I was told I had a bad off-season
- No major signings for my team and lost 3 starters from my previous starting lineup
- Projected by season previews to win between 38-46 games
- Turned around and arguably got the best return in a LeBron deal of anyone to this point
- Turned my season ending core from last year Steph-Bron-KP into Steph-KD-KP after numerous deals
- Won 55 games (Only had KD for about 3-4 sims and he was injured and missed a few games though)
- Retooled my team's cap situation entirely and still finished in the top 4 of the East at the same position as last year
- Remained under the Luxury Tax

I don't think I'm winning it but I still wanted to throw my 2 cents in haha

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Hear me out on this, just wanna throw some things out there

- I was told I had a bad off-season
- No major signings for my team and lost 3 starters from my previous starting lineup
- Projected by season previews to win between 38-46 games
- Turned around and arguably got the best return in a LeBron deal of anyone to this point
- Turned my season ending core from last year Steph-Bron-KP into Steph-KD-KP after numerous deals
- Won 55 games (Only had KD for about 3-4 sims and he was injured and missed a few games though)
- Retooled my team's cap situation entirely and still finished in the top 4 of the East at the same position as last year
- Remained under the Luxury Tax

I don't think I'm winning it but I still wanted to throw my 2 cents in haha
Your team performed significantly worse this year though, in a weaker conference?

Last edited:

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Your team performed significantly worse this year though, in a weaker conference?
My team significantly changed though, especially cap wise and virtually accomplished the same thing as last year but stayed under the luxury tax in the process.

Most Winning GM's have solid teams that compete for a championship, and when they want a challenge the next year retool things and still to compete at a high level, which I've seen done numerous times.

What my challenge was, was remaining a top 4 team but doing it without going over the luxury tax. Which one could say is more challenging than just making a great team out of a great team.

I'm not discrediting anything anyone else has done, I'm just saying that's something never done before in the league as far as challenges I've seen GMs have overcome.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
My team significantly changed though, especially cap wise and virtually accomplished the same thing as last year but stayed under the luxury tax in the process.

Most Winning GM's have solid teams that compete for a championship, and when they want a challenge the next year retool things and still to compete at a high level, which I've seen done numerous times.

What my challenge was, was remaining a top 4 team but doing it without going over the luxury tax. Which one could say is more challenging than just making a great team out of a great team.

I'm not discrediting anything anyone else has done, I'm just saying that's something never done before in the league as far as challenges I've seen GMs have overcome.
It's never been done before because we've never had a luxury tax before...

The Cavaliers last year had a smaller salary figure than you did this year and ran the league. Hell the Cavaliers this season were a top six team in the league *with cap room*. It's not an accomplishment to stay under the luxury tax. As we talked about last night, most GM's would trade the $20ish they made by staying under valuable piece to their starting lineup.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's never been done before because we've never had a luxury tax before...

The Cavaliers last year had a smaller salary figure than you did this year and ran the league. It's not an accomplishment to stay under the luxury tax. As we talked about last night, most GM's would trade the $20ish they made by staying under valuable piece to their starting lineup.
Maybe that would've been a great case for the Cavs GM to make last year if there was a luxury tax…

But It's not my fault you put the Luxury Tax into play this year. The reason why I wanted to build a team that could be top 4 without being over the tax is because I knew most GM's wouldn't even attempt to do it. I just wanted to do something that's never been done by a winning GM and I accomplished that.

I'm just throwing out my opinion on why I feel I could be considered. You don't have to discredit my team man, just don't vote for me lol.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Maybe that would've been a great case for the Cavs GM to make last year if there was a luxury tax…

But It's not my fault you put the Luxury Tax into play this year. The reason why I wanted to build a team that could be top 4 without being over the tax is because I knew most GM's wouldn't even attempt to do it. I just wanted to do something that's never been done by a winning GM and I accomplished that.

I'm just throwing out my opinion on why I feel I could be considered. You don't have to discredit my team man, just don't vote for me lol.
It's not your fault I put it in this year, but it is your fault that you held yourself to this standard of staying under it despite no rules requiring you to do so. If your true drive was to win a championship, as anybody's should be, why would you hold yourself under a certain line of salary cap unless there were serious consequences for surpassing it (i.e. the hard cap)? You hampered your team in doing that, and thus performed significantly worse this season. How is that worthy of consideration?

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's not your fault I put it in this year, but it is your fault that you held yourself to this standard of staying under it despite no rules requiring you to do so. If your true drive was to win a championship, as anybody's should be, why would you hold yourself under a certain line of salary cap unless there were serious consequences for surpassing it (i.e. the hard cap)? You hampered your team in doing that, and thus performed significantly worse this season. How is that worthy of consideration?
If we can award GM's for doing what we've already seen done repeatedly and winning, why can't we consider awarding a GM for doing something different and still winning?

Winning a championship is always the goal but I don't feel like I ruined my chances at that since I'm literally in the exact same seed as I was when my team was (statistically) better.

I could even say that if not for injuries would could've even won a few more games than we did. I also hit "sharing is caring" which is a sacrifice in itself.

I feel like I wouldn't deserve to be considered for a back-to-back GMOTY if I didn't take on a tougher challenge as a GM than just maintaining a winning team. Given the fact that I'm in the same position as last year seeding wise when I won GMOTY, I don't feel my "significantly" worse team should fall out of contention.

But once again, you can just not vote for me if you disagree. No reason for you to single me out like this.

Last edited:

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Congratulations to @CameronCrazy06 for winning 2019-20 GM of the Year.

Full voting:

CameronCrazy06 (4)
bosoxlover12 (2)
.inf (2)
kdogg10 (1)
$tunna (1)

Please claim $2 if you voted.

Last edited:

kdogg

The original #SpartanDawg
Reaction score
Forgot to vote but thanks to whoever voted for me. I would've campaigned for myself if not for that 11 game losing streak at the end of the year lmao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%