0 Ex-LSU Tiger Tyrann Mathieu Expected To Be Drafted In The Third Or Fourth-Round

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ex-LSU Tiger Tyrann Mathieu Expected To Be Drafted In The Third Or Fourth-Round

Former LSU Tigers defensive back Tyrann Mathieu is expected to announce on Thursday that he plans to enter the 2013 NFL Draft. Mathieu has been out of football all season after being dismissed from the Tigers football team. Mathieu has some major off-field and drug related concerns.

That serious baggage that comes with Mathieu has many wondering how it will hurt his draft stock. Mathieu was initially viewed as a first-round talent but there is the possibility his stock could slide.

ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay discussed Mathieu’s draft stock today on SportsCenter after it was announced that Mathieu would enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

Both of the draft gurus expect Mathieu’s draft stock to take a one or two round hit, which would put him in the third to fourth-round draft range. Considering many believed Mathieu could be completely taken off draft boards after his arrest on simple marijuana possession, being drafted in that range would be a victory for the former Heisman Trophy finalist.

Here is video of Kiper and McShay discussion Mathieu’s draft status on SportsCenter:

There is no denying Mathieu’s talent on the field. It will be up to him to convince NFL personnel that he is maturing and will be able to avoid suspensions once he makes it to the NFL. The pre-draft process will be as important to Mathieu as any job interview in his life.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That was about where he would have gone had he stayed out of trouble. He doesn't really have a position on defense at the NFL level. He'll contribute on special teams though.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind this kid in the 4th if we can't grab Amerson in the 2nd.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id have no problem taking this guy as high as the 2nd. This guys a stud.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
id have no problem taking this guy as high as the 2nd. This guys a stud.
Raiders probably will lol

I wouldn't even look at him until the 5th tbh

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
When you get to the 4th round and later, there is essentially no risk with any player other than just potentially not being good, but that goes for everyone.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That was about where he would have gone had he stayed out of trouble. He doesn't really have a position on defense at the NFL level. He'll contribute on special teams though.
That's how I see him too. I think he will be nice in special teams, but as for playing as a defensive starter for a team, don't see it.

I wouldn't object taking him late though, Lions sure as hell could use a KR/PR lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%