Ronaldinho Weighing MLS & China

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Per his agent, the once great, Brazilian superstar will make a move to MLS or the Chinese Super League. Granted he's 36 and hasn't taken the game serious in years, his addition would provide another solid headline for the growing popularity of North American Soccer.

One upon a time this was a dream signing for any MLS club but now, Ronaldinho is needs to MLS way more than the MLS needs him. He's apparently (finally) interested b/c of all the high profile, international signings the mLS has made in recent years.

axman15

Reaction score
Ronaldinho would be huge for the MLS. He's nowhere near the level that he used to be at, but I don't think it would matter; whatever team that managed to sign him would be an instant draw. Having the former best player in the world in the MLS would be huge, especially someone like Ronaldinho who is known worldwide.

BrandonNBA

Reaction score
I hate to be the Debbie downer when it comes to MLS, but I don't think it makes the MLS any more significant of a league when all of these old washed up vets cone to play here. The only thing it proves is that it is where formerly good players go to retire where they can still thrive and the competition is easier.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing they are coming, because it's far from that, I understand the appeal of wanting them here. But the true signings that can make a difference to the long term future of the leagues aren't the David Villa's or Kaka's or Lampards, they are the guys who are still in the primes or are younger such as guys like Giovinco or Dos Santos.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brandon said:
I hate to be the Debbie downer when it comes to MLS, but I don't think it makes the MLS any more significant of a league when all of these old washed up vets cone to play here. The only thing it proves is that it is where formerly good players go to retire where they can still thrive and the competition is easier.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing they are coming, because it's far from that, I understand the appeal of wanting them here. But the true signings that can make a difference to the long term future of the leagues aren't the David Villa's or Kaka's or Lampards, they are the guys who are still in the primes or are younger such as guys like Giovinco or Dos Santos.
International veteran signings are extremely significant for MLS. The numbers don't lie and with each season comes better attendance, bigger publicity, and higher revenues. The league continues to expand, is carving out markets in every region, and is paying players more. "Significant league" is a relative term though. Lets be clear nobody in their right mind expects the MLS to compete with the premier leagues of Europe. And that's not what signing vets like Kaka and Frank Lampard is about. Soccer is the #1 sport all across Europe but it's not top 4 in the US. All the more impressive how the MLS continues to gain relevancy and churn higher profits.

BrandonNBA

Reaction score
Pharoah said:
International veteran signings are extremely significant for MLS. The numbers don't lie and with each season comes better attendance, bigger publicity, and higher revenues. The league continues to expand, is carving out markets in every region, and is paying players more. "Significant league" is a relative term though. Lets be clear nobody in their right mind expects the MLS to compete with the premier leagues of Europe. And that's not what signing vets like Kaka and Frank Lampard is about. Soccer is the #1 sport all across Europe but it's not top 4 in the US. All the more impressive how the MLS continues to gain relevancy and churn higher profits.
Sure, and you can't argue with numbers so I can't disagree.

But I can make the argument that soccer popularity in America is generally growing, and it's not something that is being lead by the MLS, instead it's exactly the opposite in that the MLS is the result of soccer popularity growing in the states.

I would argue that the MLS is growing as a league because soccer is becoming a more popular sport here, and it's not at all directly related to the signings MLS teams are making.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Brandon said:
Sure, and you can't argue with numbers so I can't disagree.

But I can make the argument that soccer popularity in America is generally growing, and it's not something that is being lead by the MLS, instead it's exactly the opposite in that the MLS is the result of soccer popularity growing in the states.

I would argue that the MLS is growing as a league because soccer is becoming a more popular sport here, and it's not at all directly related to the signings MLS teams are making.
Soccer in North America is actually booming. You're getting away from the point. The point isn't what is making soccer more popular in the US. The point is whether or not signing the Gerard's and Lampard's make the MLS more popular.....which they are. More people are buying tickets to see these guys play now, (over the hill or not), than they were before arrival.

RunSoHard

Reaction score
I just wish the MLS would turn into a league where young players go to develop. Instead they get the once 'greats' at the end of their careers looking for some more money and looking to headline a team once more.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RunSoHard said:
I just wish the MLS would turn into a league where young players go to develop. Instead they get the once 'greats' at the end of their careers looking for some more money and looking to headline a team once more.
Will never happen. There's no money in developmental leagues and who's prospects would they develop? All the marquee international clubs have their own developmental programs.

tbuc

Reaction score
Ronaldinho is old and not that good anymore. He was decent at best last year in the Mexican league and was poor in Brazil for the two months he played with Fluminense. I can't see him being any better than a substitute who can inject some creativity onto a match late in the game.

At this point in his career he's just out there having fun and collecting a pay check. I really don't think he cares about winning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%