Rumors/Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well since we don't have a thread for this I might as well make one. Mods, could you pin this?

PS: Please limit the Eklund rumors. He sucks balls.

K, I'll start.

Bob McKenzie: "There is no question in my mind that the Atlanta Thrashers are going to trade Ilya Kovalchuk and I believe that the sweepstakes for the star sniper is unofficially on.

That being said, Thrashers' general manager Don Waddell is not in a position that he can go out and make a deal for future considerations such as the Toronto Maple Leafs pick that belongs to the Boston Bruins. He will not be able to go back and sell that idea to his market right now. He won't be able to sell the idea of a bunch of kids from the Los Angeles Kings like Thomas Hickey and Colten Teubert as the return that he gets on Kovalchuk. If he is going to make a move, it is going to have to be for bigger name players.

The Calgary Flames are a team that may, and I stress MAY, be interested, however if they are they are going to have to talk about some of the “big boys” like Dion Phaneuf amongst others to be included.

If it's not Phaneuf then there is a good chance that the Chicago Blackhawks will be interested. I'm not saying that talks have been made, but I am saying that guys like Patrick Sharp or Cam Barker or David Bolland will be in the mix. Legitimate bonafide NHL players is what Waddell is looking for in return, and he is looking for a couple of them.

I think that at the end of the day both Chicago and Calgary will be in that group to pursue Kovalchuk and pursue him hard."

STLZACH

Go Blues!
Reaction score
In case you guys didnt know, Laraque is leaving the habs, its already been said by both him and the GM, who's name I cant recall

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Okay, so this isn't a rumor but it's just thoughts from a concerned/interested fan. I was overlooking the Bruins current situation today and was wondering what this team could do to add some scoring without crippling its core or prospects. So I have a couple guys who aren't "blockbuster" names but I believe Chiarelli should be looking at and some players that need to go. Bear with me on the proposed trades, I don't really know much about what other teams want or how they value their players. It's more what I think could get a deal done.

1. Jack Johnson - I've heard the Bruins are very interested in Dion Phaneauf but, honestly, I'm not a fan of him or his big cap hit. Nor am I a fan of what the cost would be to acquire him. Conversely, I like Johnson. Sure, his +/- is very bad but I think that he would benefit from a change of scenery, kind of like Wideman in his first season here. Playing with a guy like Chara would benefit him a lot, I think. His price, cap and otherwise, is a lot cheaper than Phaneauf's.
Possible trade: A 3rd rounder and a couple prospects?

2. Sergei Samsonov/Jussi Jokinen - there's been a lot of talk about the Bruins interest in Carolina's Ray Whitney but I haven't heard much on these other two guys. Personally, if it's gonna cost a 2nd rounder (the rumored asking price for Whitney), I'd rather have a guy, or both, who's under contract for next year and wouldn't require another piece to be moved to acquire them (Whitney's $4 million cap hit would require a move). Jokinen would add some firepower to a pretty anemic PP. I also will always have a soft spot for Sammy, he was one my favorite Bruins growing up.
Possible trade: TB 2010 2nd, Michael Ryder (salary reasons), and a prospect?

3. Paul Kariya - The B's have been linked to him since last season. He'd be relatively cheap would probably only cost a couple prospects.

4. Teemu Selanne - same as Kariya

5. Dennis Wideman - Trade him for a bag of pucks, don't really care. He looks unmotivated and uninterested out there. Could possibly be added to a trade as part of a salary dump to move a prospect.

6. Marco Sturm - I love the guy but, honestly, trade him while he has (if he has) some value left.

My proposed post-deadline lineup (in the hope that they can keep Sobotka and Bitz)

Lucic-Savard-Selanne
Jokinen-Krejci-Wheeler
Samsonov-Bergeron-Recchi/Satan
Paille-Sobotka-Thornton/Bitz

Chara-Johnson
Stuart-Boychuk
Morris-Ference

Thomas
Rask

Coming: Jokinen, Samsonov, Selanne, Johnson
Leaving: Wideman, Sturm, Ryder, Hunwick (?), Begin (?)

It's a bit of wishful thinking but I don't think it's too far fetched

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To address the Kovalchuk stuff

Don Waddell isn't gonna let Kovalchuk go without a fight. He's gonna try to re-sign him as hard as he can and trading him is just an ultimatum if anything

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't want the Bruins to be in the running. LOVE Kovalchuk but I don't want to part with the players to get him and I don't want him taking up a huge chunk of our payroll, though he's probably gonna go play in Russia anyway.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No way he'll play in Russia. He knows he's one of the best in the world and he wants to show it. He's THAT much of a competitor

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Rugged Maple Leafs forward Jamal Mayers believes he has at least a few good years left him in, but doesn't see Toronto in his future.

Leafs general manager Brian Burke granted Mayers agent, Pat Brisson, permission to speak to teams in an effort to generate trade interest.

Sources say the Maple Leafs have also made it clear to all NHL teams Mayers is available.

Mayers is among several Maple Leafs on the block, including notables such as Matt Stajan and Alexei Ponikarovsky.
I know our offense is great but it would be nice to have Poni on the 2nd line. But the way our second line's been producing, Don't be surprised if MG goes for another defenseman instead.

According to the Ottawa Sun, the Calgary Flames are interested in Atlanta Thrashers right wing Colby Armstrong.

Armstrong is in the final-year of his current contract and can become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

The Thrashers have been slipping lately and if they cannot climb back up the standings and solidify a playoff position by the Mar. 3 trade deadline, they could deal some of their impending free agents. Flames GM Darryl Sutter is looking for depth up front and is expected to make a move before the deadline.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Bruins have made it known Michael Ryder is available for trade.
Also I've read rumors about Kovalchuk getting traded to LA soon but Bob McKenzie said they were all BS.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like the Newf but he hasn't done squat and he couldn't put away two good chances tonight

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
I really like Ryder, he's got dirty snipes

but he wouldn't really fit in the leafs plans

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really like Ryder, he's got dirty snipes

but he wouldn't really fit in the leafs plans
I know, he just can't find the net. It's frustrating to him and the fans because we know he can do it.

What would you guys even be able to offer? lol

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Only thing Caps might need to sure up is there Defense. But right now everything is clicking. Maybe another veteran D-man for the offseason

Gtown81

Reaction score
I know, he just can't find the net. It's frustrating to him and the fans because we know he can do it.

What would you guys even be able to offer? lol
exactly, we couldn't even afford him with the players we've got plus we don't need another sniper, we need a playmaking center

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RDS reporting that Kovalchuk was close to being traded to Boston or New York Rangers

DarrenDreger

Following up on the RDS story. Don Waddell met with Kovalchuk today to tell him he should expect a trade. 5 or more teams still in. 2 minutes ago from mobile web
I'm actually kinda scared at what it would cost

Gtown81

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he ends up in Boston, they need someone like him to spark the offense

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RDS reporting that Kovalchuk was close to being traded to Boston or New York Rangers

I'm actually kinda scared at what it would cost
Krejci, a 1st rounder, Lucic or Wheeler, and maybe some rights to some players

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd offer them what I want and if they don't like it, trade him elsewhere. I wouldn't pay a huge price for Kovy; especially if we're not allowed to talk extension.

What leverage does Atlanta have other than actually having Kovalchuk? This Bruins aren't expected to compete for the Cup, with or without Kovalchuk, so why trade away their core for a possible rental?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%