Hall of Fame 2018 Tracker

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
catman said:
The names in the Mitchell report were never supposed to be released to the public.  Unfortunately, someone leaked quite a few of them.
Does that excuse them?

catman

Reaction score
AE. said:
The Mitchell Report cited a test MLB gave around 2003, I think...a test to find out whether or not PED use was a problem. Players were told the test and its results were 100% confidential.
Unfortunately, the results were not confidential.  Either we should know all the names or none of them.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Clear is a type of steroid.
Ortiz is out for you on his failed test in like 2009?
All players that have apologized initially lie about it in some fashion.

How anyone can be so naive to think a player tried something once, and stopped is a logically step I can't take.
That's not exactly what I said. All I said was he had a failed test. I'm not denying Ortiz didn't use steroids, but the proof isn't as large as it is for Clemens and Bonds, who are not only in the Reports but also have stories about trainers giving them roids and such. It's pretty obvious that they are more on radar as steroid users.

Anyone who lies about it and takes awhile to admit it should be considered off ballot. Notice I said "considered."

Please stop taking my words and turning them into generalizations that don't document my full opinion on the matter.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If we’re going to keep out PED users, then then the Hall needs to boot all the players known for taking greenies and snorting cocaine during games. And while we’re on the subject of rule-breakers, it would only makes sense to remove players known for scuffing baseballs and hiding pine tar too.

catman

Reaction score
As I have said before, those who used steroids (Bonds, Clemens) should be included in the Hall.  Their plaques should be written to indicate what they did.
The Hall is, after all, a museum and the steroid era is part of baseball's history.  They were the best players of their era and should be enshrined.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
catman said:
As I have said before, those who used steroids (Bonds, Clemens) should be included in the Hall.  Their plaques should be written to indicate what they did.
The Hall is, after all, a museum and the steroid era is part of baseball's history.  They were the best players of their era and should be enshrined.
You don’t give some a scarlet letter and not others. And by what means do we determine who gets the alternative plaque? Would never happen. But you are correct in that the HOF is about preserving the game. It’s too bad it remains a popularity contest tho.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
If were going to keep out PED users, then then the Hall needs to boot all the players known for taking greenies and snorting cocaine during games. And while were on the subject of rule-breakers, it would only makes sense to remove players known for scuffing baseballs and hiding pine tar too.
I somewhat agree. I can forgive a guy if he uses roids once and lives up to it, but the guys who lie and twist the stories shouldn't be recognized. They don't respect the game.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
That's not exactly what I said. All I said was he had a failed test. I'm not denying Ortiz didn't use steroids, but the proof isn't as large as it is for Clemens and Bonds, who are not only in the Reports but also have stories about trainers giving them roids and such. It's pretty obvious that they are more on radar as steroid users.

Anyone who lies about it and takes awhile to admit it should be considered off ballot. Notice I said "considered."

Please stop taking my words and turning them into generalizations that don't document my full opinion on the matter.
I didn't twist.  You said a player that takes it once or twice is ok in your book.  They get a "pass."  That's what makes you naive. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's literally a litany of players that used certain PEDs before they were banned from the game and players were tested for them. How do you know who used or who didn't? It's certainly not fair to assume, nor is it a good idea to allow the general public to serve as judge and jury.

There's no good solution. Baseball writers have asked the HOF for guidance and clarification and get nothing. It's a guessing game.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
I didn't twist.  You said a player that takes it once or twice is ok in your book.  They get a "pass."  That's what makes you naive. 
If they don't lie about it and it's reasonable. That's the only way.

How does that make me naive in any way? Please enlighten me. I think the people who let everyone in the Hall would be more naive than me.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
If they don't lie about it and it's reasonable. That's the only way.

How does that make me naive in any way? Please enlighten me. I think the people who let everyone in the Hall would be more naive than me.
Naive that you think anyone takes it once or twice and doesn't lie about it.

It's a museum as has been pointed out.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Naive that you think anyone takes it once or twice and doesn't lie about it.

It's a museum as has been pointed out.
I never said they didn't lie. When did I ever say that? If it's in reference to Ortiz, records show there's one failed test, but I'm not subject to believe that's the only time. There really isn't a lot of evidence either way, but there's clearly guys who have taken them and lied mutiple times (and have reaped benefits from them) and those are the ones in question.

It's not a matter of how naive anyone is, I know what has gone on. It's a matter of pointing out who we should hold accountable.

catman

Reaction score
AE. said:
You don’t give some a scarlet letter and not others. And by what means do we determine who gets the alternative plaque? Would never happen. But you are correct in that the HOF is about preserving the game. It’s too bad it remains a popularity contest tho.
How about this:  Bonds' plaque could say "The best hitter of the steroid era." and Clemens' could say "The best pitcher of the steroid era."

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
catman said:
How about this:  Bonds' plaque could say "The best hitter of the steroid era." and Clemens' could say "The best pitcher of the steroid era."
We actually dont know when this era began. People typically associate the post-strike homerun chase as the steroid era, but I think it goes much farther back.

All we know is when congress got involved and essentially forced MLB to take action. There was no enforcement or testing for a long time.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Didn't Babe Ruth mysteriously miss a bunch of time because of a "bellyache?" I'd assume that people were always trying to find an advantage.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Didn't Babe Ruth mysteriously miss a bunch of time because of a "bellyache?" I'd assume that people were always trying to find an advantage.
he was on beer and hot dogs. im sure he dealt with plenty of bellyaches

catman

Reaction score
Teagz said:
He had major abdominal surgery that would have been done much easier now.  Back in the 1920's, he was lucky to survive the procedure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%