NL: DH or no DH

Should the NL have...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
I was looking back and couldnt find a thread on this in the last year

Do you prefer the NL with DH or without?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I used to love how the DH significantly altered the way baseball is managed in the NL vs the AL, but with interleague play and the need to make the game more interesting, I say adopt the DH in both leagues. Watching most pitchers try to hit is almost embarrassing. 

BrewCrewFan

Reaction score
AE. said:
I used to love how the DH significantly altered the way baseball is managed in the NL vs the AL, but with interleague play and the need to make the game more interesting, I say adopt the DH in both leagues. Watching most pitchers try to hit is almost embarrassing.
How does adding the DH make the league more interesting? I would think the opposite because there’s a lot less strategic moves a manager has to make.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I love that the leagues have a major difference in them. I also love the added layer of strategy that comes with the pitcher being in the lineup.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Im so pro DH
So often rallies are killed because a pitcher comes up with 2 or 3 men on base and 2 outs. Im so sick of it

brett05

Reaction score
One of the biggest myths is the extra strategy that the NL has because of the lack of a DH.  LaRussa blew that off.

The Rules need to be standard especially with interleague play.  Just need to end giving the NL teams an advantage all the time in those games.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
brett05 said:
One of the biggest myths is the extra strategy that the NL has because of the lack of a DH.  LaRussa blew that off.

The Rules need to be standard especially with interleague play.  Just need to end giving the NL teams an advantage all the time in those games.
It's not a myth at all

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
How does adding the DH make the league more interesting? I would think the opposite because there’s a lot less strategic moves a manager has to make.

I should clarify, more interesting to the casual fan. The current NL strategics just aren't interesting to non-baseball hardcores. As this postseason further proves, people love the long ball. Nobody wants to watch a pitcher's duel with manufactured runs. 

As much as I hate caving to casual fans and even people who only tune into the postseason, MLB needs the ratings and the attention. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:

You're not a fan of Joe Maddon, but watch him manage a game and he double-switches about 3-4 times per game. Even on a simpler scale, deciding whether or not to bunt your pitcher or have 'em swing away is a strategy/decision that doesn't exist in the AL. SPs also average more IP in the AL b/c they don't come up in the lineup in the NL.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
BrewCrewFan said:
This.

My team is in the AL and I prefer the traditional rules of having pitchers hit.  As much as I love David Ortiz, the DH is just a wasted spot.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:

You're not a fan of Joe Maddon, but watch him manage a game and he double-switches about 3-4 times per game. Even on a simpler scale, deciding whether or not to bunt your pitcher or have 'em swing away is a strategy/decision that doesn't exist in the AL. SPs also average more IP in the AL b/c they don't come up in the lineup in the NL.
And it's not hard to come up with the calls at all.  Again, Myth

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
the pure concept of double switching shows its not a myth

that and determining how long you leave in the starter depending on their spot in the order, it can affect a pitchers innings significantly

brett05

Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Keep them separate. No dh in the nl
You either have it or not, but enough with this split and giving the NL advantages in head to head match-ups with the American League.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Throw in decisions of when to intentionally walk guys too just to get to a pitcher. That shit drives me insane during interleague.

brett05

Reaction score
Man, only the best managers know to walk the 8th hitter to get to the pitcher.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
i just wish interleague was during the middle of the year and not spread out the season

it was so much better years ago

brett05

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
i just wish interleague was during the middle of the year and not spread out the season

I agree, better fan interest

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:

Impossible now with 15 teams in both leagues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%