NFL Top 10 Lists--Quarterback

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Time for some lists, some disagreements, and most importantly, some discussion.

1. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers
He had a rough start to the season, but Rodgers returned to form as injuries derailed Minnesota, slicing through the rest of the division and NFL over one of the greatest 6 game stretches in the history of the quarterback position. There was no quarterback in the better league than Aaron Rodgers this season, and there hasn't been in quite some time.

2. Tom Brady, New England Patriots
When you talk about being great for a long, long time, there is no better example than Tom Brady. The only reason he's not #1 on this list is that Aaron Rodgers can do more physically. If Tom Brady could move around like Rodgers, could fling the ball 60 yards accurately without setting his feet while rolling to his offhand side, he'd be #1, no question. But he can't, and isn't markedly better than Rodgers at anything. However, he is easily one of the best to ever play the game, and deserves this spot.

3. Derek Carr, Oakland Raiders
Call me crazy if you want to, but Derek Carr showed in 2016-17 that he is a phenomenal leader and is certainly capable of taking better care of the football, all while shredding defenses with ease and leading the Raiders resurgence. This kid is bar none the best young quarterback in the league and you have to believe both Jacksonville and Minnesota are kicking themselves for bypassing him. 

4. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons
I have not been a fan of Matt Ryan over the years, but what he did this season with better offensive line and running back play just goes to show that glaring weaknesses at key positions can trainwreck a team's season regardless of their quarterback. Hell, Drew Brees has been proof of that for years. Ryan was named NFL MVP yesterday, and he undoubtedly earned it. Is this a one year wonder or the beginning of an end-of-career run for the ages? We shall find out. 

5. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints
It really is a shame that Drew Brees has spent a majority of his career playing meaningless football for a joke of a franchise, but it's an awful reality and there seems to be no end in sight for New Orleans' struggles. Let's just try to appreciate Brees' greatness despite all the bad records that had almost nothing to do with his play.

6. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers
Ben was bar none the 3rd best quarterback in the NFL for years, in my opinion, but his bad moments are pretty bad now, and I'm thinking he might actually retire. He's a fire-breathing dragon at his best, but at his worst he turns the ball over at terrible times. Hopefully he returns next season and re-establishes himself from a consistency standpoint.

7. Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions
Stafford was a beast in his first season without Calvin Johnson. The Lions' passing game seemed nearly unstoppable for most of the season. If I was starting a franchise right now, Stafford is the only QB I might choose over Derek Carr.

8. Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts
Luck returned to form in 2016, and even took better care of the football. The Colts just don't have a good roster, and I don't know how long it'll take to build one. Here's to hoping they don't waste Luck with bad management and coaching like New Orleans has wasted Brees.

9. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks
Nothing irritates me more than the media slobbering all over Russell Wilson like he's a top 5 NFL QB when he's not even close. He is a fine player, but he barely surpassed 20 passing TDs this season. Can we hit the brakes on this guy a bit? It's like people think he's the Second Coming. Fucking eh, get off his knob. 

10a. Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers
Want to know how bad Carolina was this season? I nearly forgot about Cam Newton while making this list, but looking at the 9 guys ahead of him, I'd take all of them over Cam Newton if I was starting a franchise today (well, I'd probably take Cam over Wilson). 

10b. Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins
I'm not a believer if you ask me if Kirk Cousins has the potential to be great for a long period of time. I don't think he does. I think Washington is going to kill his already-suspect arm if they keep having him throw as much as they are right now. However, his accuracy and competitiveness have overcome any deficiencies he may have. I don't like the season-ending INT against the Giants, but Washington had chances to win games against lesser teams earlier in the season and couldn't get it done. 

AiRuPtHeRe

Must Be Nice
Reaction score
I'd personally move Carr down 2 - Brees followed by Ryan and probably Cam over Wilson too.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Tom is #1 and it's still not even close

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
So lets take this as an example.  Lets say you had a choice for next year between Cousins or Palmer?  Which would you rather have on your team?  I would be shocked any of you would pick Cousins over Palmer...  So for me, at least 10b is way off.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I'd take 2015 Carson
I'll take Cousins over 2016 Carson

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Tom is #1 and it's still not even close
I disagree. Give me Rodgers

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
I'd take 2015 Carson
I'll take Cousins over 2016 Carson
Neither is capable of greatness by themselves. Physically I prefer Palmer's arm but his injury history has to come into the equation

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Neither is capable of greatness by themselves. Physically I prefer Palmer's arm but his injury history has to come into the equation

He played every game the last 2 seasons?  What injury problem? 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
I disagree. Give me Rodgers
I don't get how you can watch yesterday's game and still say that

Against literally the same opponent, Brady had a higher completion percentage and Y/A, by a solid margin

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If there is a difference between the two, it's miniscule and doesn't matter

Cheddar

Reaction score
Huh Palmer over Cousins, what? Palmer played piss poor last season.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%