College Coaching Carousel

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
UCLA fired Jim Mora & hired Chip Kelly

Tennessee fired Butch Jones & hired Greg Schiano. Well maybe not exactly. Fans, alumni, and program donors are protesting the hire. Schiano was a Joe Pa assistant who allegedly saw Sandusky doing Sandusky things to boys in the shower and kept it to himself. No contract is finalized and now Schiano has concerns about how he'll be welcomed to Knoxville.  

I saw this is all John Currie's master plan to bring Lane Kiffin back to Tennessee. Generate outrage with news of Schiano and even those who sent Kiffin death threats back when would be relieved to have him back instead.

Texas A&M fired Kevin Sumlin rather quick. Dumb on their part IMO. They have set their sights on Jimbo Fisher. Jimbo was willing to negotiate with LSU last year but they didn't make it worth his while. Why would Fisher leave FSU? Apparently he hasn't been treated well in Tallahassee, he just went through an ugly divorce, and he has a son that could benefit from one of the nation's top Children's Hospitals in Houston.

Arizona State fired Todd Graham, which is interesting b/c Graham was a big name that was expected to get a better job a couple years ago. Hearing Sumlin might be their target.

Arkansas fired Bret Bielema and supposedly has MIke Norvell on the top of their wish list. Many pegged Gus Malzahn as a candidate to make the jump but Auburn will now build a statue of him this offseason and then be ready to fire him again throughout most of 2018.

Florida fired Jim McElwain and attempted to hire Chip Kelly. Not interested. They set their sights on Scott Frost. Not interested. Plan C and ironically the best fit, Dan Mullen leaves Mississippi State for Florida. Mullen was Florida's OC the last time they got the best of Nick Saban and Alabama.

Nebraska fired Mike Riley and is...apparently doing nothing to find their next head coach. Tom Osborne said today he hasn't reached out to Scott Frost yet.  Seems odd considering Frost would likely be their top candidate.  Have to wonder if Frost really does want to be Nebraska's savior, or is he content to stay at UCF and build?  UCF does have the money, living in Orlando beats the hell out of living in Lincoln, and the Knights should start to get a serious look from the Big 12 upon their inevitable expansion. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think this Tennessee fan revolt is happening because they think Schiano sucks as a coach, not because of their moral standards.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
I think this Tennessee fan revolt is happening because they think Schiano sucks as a coach, not because of their moral standards.

Its just not the right social climate to play around with the situation. I won't say Schiano "covered up child rape", but he should've reported it and followed up on it. F'd up but still, part of me finds it hard to blame a young assistant who witnessed it, told his head coach, and went on with his job. 

Schiano was Rutgers football the only time Rutgers football was relevant. He also wasn't a bad coach with the Bucs, but he was too hardcore for the NFL. I went to Bucs training camp when I lived in Florida and it was freaking intense. Not surprising that all his players hated him. Players hated Tom Coughlin's hardcore ways but he's been in the league long enough to have their respect.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I didn't even know Schiano was associated with the Sandusky stuff until today.

I think Vols fans were gonna be upset with whoever they ended up with. Gruden was never coming and they weren't linked to any other high profile names. For them, Schiano was the worst case scenario and they flipped out. It's kind of remarkable how fan backlash caused them to change their mind completely.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So Schiano and McQueary weren’t at Penn State at the same time. McQueary mentioned Schiano while quoting a third assistant coach. This assistant and Schiano were at Penn State at the same time and he once told McQueary that Schiano saw something.

Complete hearsay and unfounded.

AiRuPtHeRe

Must Be Nice
Reaction score
Texas A&M needed to fire Sumlin. They've been dominating the recruiting game but just aren't producing on the field. Sure he's had a + record but in conference they've struggled.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AiRuPtHeRe™ said:
Texas A&M needed to fire Sumlin. They've been dominating the recruiting game but just aren't producing on the field. Sure he's had a + record but in conference they've struggled.
Sumlin won too many games too early in his tenure with Manziel. Immediately set the bar high and everything has been viewed as decline since.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Teagz said:
I didn't even know Schiano was associated with the Sandusky stuff until today.

I think Vols fans were gonna be upset with whoever they ended up with. Gruden was never coming and they weren't linked to any other high profile names. For them, Schiano was the worst case scenario and they flipped out. It's kind of remarkable how fan backlash caused them to change their mind completely.

YUP. That place is a dumpster fire. They are going to have a hard time finding a big name to come into that role. They might be better off doing what A&M did with Sumlin and try to find a guy who has had success in lesser conferences and bring him up. Mike Norvell at Memphis might be a good option. He has a solid background as an OC at Arizona St. and his Memphis team can light up the scoreboard. I just have a hard time seeing them land a better "established" name than Schiano. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tennessee about to hitch their wagon to Tee Martin. Phenomenal recruiter but I don’t think he’s more than an average OC. Don’t necessarily need to be great at X’s & O’s (Jimmy Johnson wasn’t) to be a great head coach, but I’m not sure a big program like Tennessee should give the job to a guy with no head coaching experience. I know there’s also talk of putting him in the head coach-in-waiting role but that’s even more unlikely. Any new head coach probably isn’t going to want to have the school force guys onto his staff.

Tennnessee really needs to pull a more established coach away from their current job, but not even David Cutcliffe is interested. Says a lot. The Vols have another 5 years of obscurity coming, at least.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Any time you get the chance to hire an offensive coordinator that doesn't call plays, you've gotta do it.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't understand why Jimbo would even consider the aTm job.

They can afford to throw more cash at him than any other program, but from a football perspective, it seems like a lateral move at best.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:
I don't understand why Jimbo would even consider the aTm job.

They can afford to throw more cash at him than any other program, but from a football perspective, it seems like a lateral move at best.
My understanding is Jimbo’s move to TAMU would be for a few personal reasons.

CoachAF

Reaction score
AE. said:
My understanding is Jimbo’s move to TAMU would be for a few personal reasons.

I believe he has a son/daughter who is being treated in the Med Center at Houston. TAMU would move his family closer. 

Also, Mike Gundy turned down 6 years/42 million from Tennessee. It would have made him the 4th highest paid coach in the country. Holy heck. It's an embarrassing state of affairs in Knoxville, and I am loving every second of it.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tennessee should have went after Cutcliffe after they fired Dooley several years ago.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
T Boone wasn't going to let Gundy get away.  I figured AD John Currie would survive the Schiano thing, but even more embarrassing is how broadly public this failing search for a new head coach is.  They've literally gone from Jon Gruden pipe dreams to courting Dave Doerson at NC State.  Doerson is a great coach but its a little premature to be moving into such a large program this soon.

You guys seeing it's a legit scenario the Sun Devils make Herm Edwards their next HC?

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/936661964817879040

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
FSU to aTm seems like a downgrade imo

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Arizona State hiring Herm Edwards is the most out of fucking nowhere hire I can remember.

I don't think Edwards was ever a college head coach... he really wasn't even a good NFL coach.

CoachAF

Reaction score
Teagz said:
FSU to aTm seems like a downgrade imo

How so? Their facilities are top of the line. More money. They are in the middle of a great recruiting area. Fan base is great. The only part that sucks is his new division (plays alabama/auburn/LSU every year). I wouldnt say it's an upgrade necessarily, but it's a lateral move that pays more. Can't argue with that. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%