Official '14 NCAA Tournament Thread

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Are we watching the same player? Napier lacks athleticism, big time, that's why he's not a top prospect. Can't finish at the rim and isn't a good enough shooter to make up for it, not to mention hes takes a lot of bad shots. He could be a back up I guess, but do you really want a ball dominant point guard off the bench who is going to take horrible shots? Undersized too

People love to get caught up on tourney play, but in reality, it's 6 games compared to a whole career.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Are we watching the same player? Napier lacks athleticism, big time, that's why he's not a top prospect. Can't finish at the rim and isn't a good enough shooter to make up for it, not to mention hes takes a lot of bad shots. He could be a back up I guess, but do you really want a ball dominant point guard off the bench who is going to take horrible shots?
He's not a top prospect because he's 6 feet tall and a senior. He's not an elite athlete but I wouldn't say he lacks it. He's VERY quick. You'd have to assume his shot selection in the NBA would be different than in college. At UConn, he was asked to take those shots. In the NBA he wouldn't be.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's a problem. There's not much room for development. He's undersized, he's not that athletic, poor shot selection, can't finish around the rim. While he's a decent/good defender, the effort is not always there. I can't imagine his shot selection changing either. He has to take those shots because of his lack of an ability to finish around the rim.

If Uconn loses that first game to St. Joe's that went to OT, no one is making these claims, and Napier is looking at maybe not getting drafted.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Shabazz proving he can lead a team to a title is what upped his stock, it wasn't just an increase in exposure. Pretty sure he was first-team all-american this year.

I don't think he's a top level prospect but I think he could be a good backup PG.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Looking at it UConn might have the two worst national title teams of all time haha. Not trying to hate though. They all count the same.
Both led by basically one guy (although Kemba >>)

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Are we watching the same player? Napier lacks athleticism, big time, that's why he's not a top prospect. Can't finish at the rim and isn't a good enough shooter to make up for it, not to mention hes takes a lot of bad shots. He could be a back up I guess, but do you really want a ball dominant point guard off the bench who is going to take horrible shots? Undersized too

People love to get caught up on tourney play, but in reality, it's 6 games compared to a whole career.
He's 6'0; that's average for a PG

He's super quick, and has a fantastic feel of the game going around him. He knows exactly what to do and when to do it. He is great at stealing the ball in getting in the passing lanes defensively, and he definitely has a shot. I don't know what you mean by isn't a good shooter, knowing he averaged over 21ppg this tourney, and hit some deep 3s

Nobody is saying he has a chance to start on a team ever, but he is a solid backup PG that can help a team out. Think Eric Maynor level, maybe a bit higher

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Shabazz proving he can lead a team to a title is what upped his stock, it wasn't just an increase in exposure. Pretty sure he was first-team all-american this year.

I don't think he's a top level prospect but I think he could be a good backup PG.
Still don't see how that should effect a guys stock so much, especially a guy you're drafting to be a back up. Who really cares about his ability to lead a team to a title in college if he's not even a starter for you? I'm not doubting his ability to play well in college (first team All-American), but it doesn't mean jack for his pro prospects.

And I just don't see his skill set translating into him being a good back up.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
He's 6'0; that's average for a PG

He's super quick, and has a fantastic feel of the game going around him. He knows exactly what to do and when to do it. He is great at stealing the ball in getting in the passing lanes defensively, and he definitely has a shot. I don't know what you mean by isn't a good shooter, knowing he averaged over 21ppg this tourney, and hit some deep 3s

Nobody is saying he has a chance to start on a team ever, but he is a solid backup PG that can help a team out. Think Eric Maynor level, maybe a bit higher
I said he's not a good enough shooter to make up for his lack of finishing ability. Never said he was straight up not a good shooter.

Eric Maynor is terrible, so if you're saying he's going to be a solid back up, he better be at a significantly higher level.

And 6'0 is not average for a PG these days.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I honestly don't even see why he couldn't start at any point in his career. Worse point guards have started for NBA teams.

Only thing I'd dispute with what bosox said is 6'0" probably isn't average for an NBA point guard.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
I said he's not a good enough shooter to make up for his lack of finishing ability. Never said he was straight up not a good shooter.

Eric Maynor is terrible, so if you're saying he's going to be a solid back up, he better be at a significantly higher level.
Ok, true. Yea he isn't going to be someone who can get to the hoop often. But he can hit the deep shots.

And I'm drunk so I can't think of other PGs outside Pressey and Maynor, so maybe there is a better comparison. Also haven't seen maynor in like 2 years

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Regardless, everyone loves to do this with players from their favorite team mocked to go late. "So and so will be a good back up". I've done it too.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Draymond Green's a pretty good backup :D

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm aware, I was saying in general. You're a prisoner of the moment in my view. His play style is that of a feature player, and he can't be that in the NBA. You could say that's what he is asked to do, but old habits die hard. He was a highly recruited high school player, this is his game and it doesn't translate.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Lol I'm not a prisoner of the moment I've watched Shabazz play since his freshman year and always thought he had an NBA future.

I honestly don't see why he can't be Norris Cole

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Norris Cole is probably a below average back up, and their games are different. Cole is a taller, a blur in transition and more athletic than Napier. Napier is the superior shooter, but Cole gives more effort on defense. Played multiple roles (off-ball with Cedric Jackson in CSUs tourney appearance in 09, primary ball handler his last two years). And as I stated, really not that good. A tad overrated because of who he plays for. Upside limited because a lack of length, strength and jump shot that isn't developing.

Napier also helped attribute to Drummond looking awful in college. Did him no favors with his play style.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I don't think Norris Cole is anything special but he's a backup who gets consistent minutes and I don't see why Napier can't be that.

- Cole might be a bit more athletic, but Shabazz makes up for it with quickness and ball instincts that Cole doesn't have. Not saying Cole isn't quick but Napier is quicker and can get to the basket with an array of dribble moves. I'm not sure what you don't like in Napier's defense because he was a great defender this year. I don't think it's fair at all to question his effort there. And as you mentioned Shabazz is a far superior shooter.
- Shabazz also played multiple roles at UConn: He was Kemba's backup during their run in 2011 but earned minutes still and played alongside him a lot in that run. When Kemba left he was given the keys to the car and it took him a little while to become a good floor general but he obviously got to that point. I'm honestly not sure how much college basketball you watch so I don't know how much you saw of him outside of this year.

I'm not saying their games line up perfectly, frankly I think Shabazz is better, I just don't see why Shabazz can't at least have a Norris Cole type impact in the league.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He was Kembas back up but his game was the same, he really wasn't asked to be much different, and he wasn't very good that year either.

You say he can get to the basket, but he usually doesn't and when he does, he doesn't finish well. He settled a lot.

Shabazz is probably a better player, he's more likely to take over a game, but we're talking about taking a different role, because you dont want Napier trying to take over games in the pros. Nothing translates in his game for his ability other than being able to hit a spot up jumper. His size and athleticism is going to limit his defensive potential in the NBA.

And I'm not arguing that he can't be a back up. Anyone can be a back up, there are a lot of poor ones. My initial response was to Bosox saying he would be a good back up, I disagree with that notion mainly on style, as I've noted. Everyone views players different.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
At worst, in my opinion, he's Jannero Pargo, who's carved a niche in the league as a quick guard who can shoot and defend.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
this uconn school is pretty good, aye

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%