Carter-Williams to claim Rookie of the Year honors.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/sixers/index.ssf/2014/05/michael_carter-williams_named_nba_rookie_of_the_year.htm

Carter-Williams averaged 16.7 points, 6.3 assists, and 6.2 rebounds this season, compiling one of the best rookie seasons in Sixers' history.
The Syracuse product won Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month four out of the six months it was awarded this season, a strong sign that the Rookie of the Year Award was going to be his. Carter-Williams was the 11th overall pick in last year's NBA Draft.
He is the first Sixers' player to be considered for the award since Allen Iverson was named Rookie of the Year in 1996.

baseball_nut

Reaction score
How many years away are the 6ers away from being a true contender......lets wait and see

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Victor Oladipo should have won it, but the ROY award is all about raw stats. Just like last season with Lillard over Davis, the better player didn't win the award.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Victor Oladipo should have won it, but the ROY award is all about raw stats. Just like last season with Lillard over Davis, the better player didn't win the award.
i agree

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I mean, is there really a better way to judge it? Not the most valuable rookie lol. Lillard had a better year, like MCW did. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
I mean, is there really a better way to judge it? Not the most valuable rookie lol. Lillard had a better year, like MCW did.
Sure there is a better way to judge it, you put less emphasis on raw stats on more emphasis on who truly is the better player. You watch the player, you study the player, and you do the research. Having raw stats in no way means you had the better year, it has too many factors. Take a guy like Kemba Walker, who averaged 17.7 points and 6.1 assists per game. Tony Parker averaged 16.7 points and 5.7 assists per game? Did Kemba Walker have a better year than Tony Parker? Of course not. But using this scale he probably did.

Just like Damian Lillard having a better year than Anthony Davis last season. That's not even remotely true, and I don't think anyone could sit here and say other wise. Anthony Davis was the better player last year, had the bigger impact on the game. Just like Victor Oladipo was a better player than Michael Carter-Williams this season, he had a bigger impact for Orlando than MCW had for Philly.

Now that's obviously not what the voters vote for. The voters just open up nba.com, espn.com, or any other stats site they can find and say "Oh, Carter-Williams outscored Oladipo this year? Ok, he gets my vote." Even though that is not the way they should go about it. The majority of these post regular season awards are crap anyway though.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But what I'm saying is this award has to be raw stats. It's not asking who was more valuable to his team or impacted more games, it was who had the best year.
Based on the following:

The only way I could see it going to someone who had a bigger impact winning would be taking a terrible team to a playoff team. Which neither of the 4 guys we've talked about in this thread did. With that being said, it has to be statistical based.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dipo and MCW's metrics are practically identical... so raw stats would probably be the best way to judge the two at this point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%