2009 Free-Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
With July 1st only a couple days away, talk about anything related to the 2009 NBA Free-Agency here.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm begging we bring back Marquis back <3

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Milwaukee doesn't give CV a qualifying offer the Cavs probably will sign him. Also some speculation about Kidd coming over to be the back up PG.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm honestly lost on how to feel about Kidd. In a way I just want to start over and go with the young point guards but in the other way they do need a mentor and who is a better PG mentor then Jason Kidd?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
cheato, I don't think Kidd could come to Cleveland, unless he had no desire for how much money.
Cause Charlie will most likely want the full MLE, so Kidd would have to sign for the veterans minimum.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I seriously would donate a liver to see Cuban sign Birdman

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
At this point in his career all he should want is a ring. As I said it's only speculation right now, nothing from the team or Kidd really. But he and LeBron are pretty good friends, and Kidd probably would consider signing for the minimum.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
True, I can see it happening. But the minimum for a back-up role is kinda meh.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I heard that the Knicks were going to try and offer him a 1 year deal.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's the thing.. Does he want to play for more money on a team with no chance, or go to a team for less to attempt to get your first ring.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think he will go back to Dallas, where he gets a little bit of both.

NjNets15

@SeanDugan2
Reaction score
The reason that Kidd was not a success in Dallas was because they did not use him properly. There, Kidd brought the ball up the court, passed it to Dirk and then the offense ran through him. The way Kidd works is he is the floor general, he needs the ball in his hands to make plays. A lot of the time on Dallas he was standing around watching. My fear for the Cavs is that the same thing will happen with Lebron. Although, if the Cavs were to pick up Kidd, and were coached properly, allowing the offense to flow through Kidd, creating opportunities for everyone, they will without a doubt win a championship.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Less than 10 minutes.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Never really thought of Hedo coming to Toronto until Maple mentioned it, but do you think there is a possibility of him signing in Toronto? We are stuck at the small forward spot with Kopono traded away, and Parker leaving and Hedo would be perfect with Jose, DeRozan, and Bosh. We have the money he wants too.

MapleLeaf

Squirtle Squirt!
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it was in Chad Ford's chat today, and it made a lot of sense to me

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Which big name do you guys think is going to sign first?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Something tells me Millsap will. Not sure where though.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it was in Chad Ford's chat today, and it made a lot of sense to me
Yeah it does, I searched it up on google just to see if there were any articles about it.
With the trade of Vince Carter to Orlando, incumbent wing Hedo Turkoglu -- an unrestricted free agent come July 1 -- seems less likely than ever to remain with the Magic. The Carter deal, which according to ESPN's Chad Ford will send Courtney Lee, Rafer Alston and Tony Battie back to New Jersey, adds $2 million to Orlando's 2009-10, putting the team at roughly $65 million in payroll.

Magic bosses had indicated the team would enter luxury tax territory to keep Hedo, who should command a starting salary in excess of $8 million. But Carter changes the calculus. Orlando would be going well over the tax threshold to sign the 30-year-old Turkoglu, and Carter -- a playmaking scorer -- duplicates what Hedo does. So Orlando seems untenable, or at least illogical.

So where will Hedo land?

Portland. The Blazers have been a rumored destination for Hedo for a while now. PDX doesn't exactly have a hole at small forward, with young studs like Nicolas Batum, Travis Outlaw and Martell Webster manning the position. But Hedo's ability to handle the ball and shoot really fits with Brandon Roy and the ball-control offense run by Nate McMillan. I'm not sure Hedo's a defensive upgrade over Batum (despite better size), but the rumor's been out there and it'd be silly to ignore it.

Toronto. The Raptors quietly have a grip of cap space, thanks to the Jermaine O'Neal/Shawn Marion trade. Because Marion is a question mark in terms of whether he'll return, the Raps also have a massive hole at small forward. (Remember: the team has traded Jamario Moon and Jason Kapono in the past six months. Joey Graham will be a free agent.) Toronto can offer Hedo as much money as anyone, and he'd be a solid fit behind Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani.

Sacramento. Rumors of Kings interest in Hedo have persisted since December. While I don't understand why a rebuilding team hemorrhaging cash would sign a high-priced 30-year-old while years away from contending, you can't deny the Kings' need for a top flight small forward or Geoff Petrie's adoration for skilled bigs who can shoot.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Do teams actually make offers at this time? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%