2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
He maintained it.

Paul Moliter got lucky. If it weren't for a second wild card team, he wouldn't even be in question for manager of the year.
Yes complain about the playoffs.  Why is admitting being wrong so hard?  Anyone?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Yes complain about the playoffs.  Why is admitting being wrong so hard?  Anyone?
Geez, you don't give up do you? Okay, I was obviously wrong because Molitor won, happy? I just don't have faith that the Twins are that good. They got on a run in the latter part of the year in a division that had only one clear winner. If they were in the AL East, they wouldn't have made it.

They also had a very easy schedule after July. The only teams they beat above .500 was a Yankees team that was slumping at the time and a three game sweep of Arizona. Other than that, the Indians spanked them and the Twins were able to win several series against the White Sox and Tigers. No surprise there.

They had no intentions of being good, became sellers at the deadline and basically got wild card by default because they beat easy teams the latter part of the season.

Personally, I'd rather give the manager of the year award to a team that actually matters.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Geez, you don't give up do you? Okay, I was obviously wrong because Molitor won, happy? I just don't have faith that the Twins are that good. They got on a run in the latter part of the year in a division that had only one clear winner. If they were in the AL East, they wouldn't have made it.

They also had a very easy schedule after July. The only teams they beat above .500 was a Yankees team that was slumping at the time and a three game sweep of Arizona. Other than that, the Indians spanked them and the Twins were able to win several series against the White Sox and Tigers. No surprise there.

They had no intentions of being good, became sellers at the deadline and basically got wild card by default because they beat easy teams the latter part of the season.

Personally, I'd rather give the manager of the year award to a team that actually matters.
They did matter.  Management bailed as you stated and the players left under Molitor played their hearts out and got into the playoffs.  That fits the definition of a manager of the year perfectly.

catman

Reaction score
I too would like an explanation as to why the Twins "don't matter"?  They have needs, like every other team does, but Molitor got the players to give their best effort and the results were pretty good this year.  If the team doesn't play well next season and drops in the standings, I will believe they overachieved this season, but I don't expect that to happen.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Giants' offer for Stanton

Craig Mish of MLB Network Radio on SiriusXM tweets that the Marlins and Giants have discussed second baseman Joe Panik, right-handed pitching prospect Tyler Beede and outfield prospect Chris Shaw. The Giants have also discussed the possibility of taking Dee Gordon back in the deal, which would make some sense with Panik possibly being of interest to Miami. It’s worth noting that Mish doesn’t specifically state that the two sides have talked about a Panik/Beede/Shaw for Stanton and Gordon package. To the contrary, Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle tweets that he hears that is not the framework of a deal being discussed (nor is it close, according to Schulman). It seems, then, that the two sides are likely discussing multiple scenarios and those names have been involved (likely with others) in various permutations. The Giants reportedly made some type of trade proposal on Friday.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/giancarlo-stanton-trade-rumors-moncay.html

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Mets and Tigers in preliminary trade talks regarding Ian Kinsler. 

This is such a Mets move. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
Mets and Tigers in preliminary trade talks regarding Ian Kinsler. 

This is such a Mets move. 
Y'all got another Michael Fulmer for us?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
They did matter.  Management bailed as you stated and the players left under Molitor played their hearts out and got into the playoffs.  That fits the definition of a manager of the year perfectly.
All I'm saying is you can't base a manager's success off three months. In my opinion, a bunch of reasons were responsible for the Twins success with the manager being one of the least indicative reasons. Very small sample size and you can't successfully claim it was all because of Molitor.

I'd rather pick a manager who was steady all year from the start, not someone who came off a magic carpet ride.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
All I'm saying is you can't base a manager's success off three months. In my opinion, a bunch of reasons were responsible for the Twins success with the manager being one of the least indicative reasons. Very small sample size and you can't successfully claim it was all because of Molitor.

I'd rather pick a manager who was steady all year from the start, not someone who came off a magic carpet ride.
There's no showing you the logic.  Oh well.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Y'all got another Michael Fulmer for us?
Ugh.

We actually have a few unknown arms that have been great, but I think both of them had Tommy John this past summer. You probably don't want them.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
There's no showing you the logic.  Oh well.
I don't understand why Paul Molitor is the only option to you.  I get it that you think he did a good job, but honestly, there are other good managers out there.

If you use the logic that he got them to the postseason, then why can't we make John Farrell the manager of the year?  Molitor played a bunch of second half games against teams under .500, while the clear winning teams (like the Yankees) defeated tons of teams above .500 all year long.

Just because the Twins got to the postseason with a makeshift lineup and pitching doesn't mean that all credit goes to the manager.  I think a lot has to do with timing and who they faced down the stretch, and that's not on the manager.

It's not so black and white.  In fact, manager of the year (in my opinion) relies a lot on factors that aren't stat-driven.  A lot of emotion and opinion is involved, as well as how the manager treats the players and makes calls.  You can't put stats to that.

I'm not arguing against Molitor.  I didn't think he was the best choice, but I respect your opinion.  I'm just arguing for the alternate managers that I believe are in the running (and you easily oppose).  Honestly, I think Joe Girardi did a good job, had a big hill to climb, beat several teams above .500, helped Aaron Judge grow beyond rookie form, and I think the Yankees will regret firing him.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I honestly don't think managers have a big impact on wins and losses anyways. Most of their value comes from people management. If a team is talented enough, that team will more than likely see success no matter who the manager is. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
snipezo said:
I honestly don't think managers have a big impact on wins and losses anyways. Most of their value comes from people management. If a team is talented enough, that team will more than likely see success no matter who the manager is. 
That's what I'm trying to say, only you said it better.  Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%