Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We will be starting our 4th annual SI player rankings.  Last year the player rankings generated 388 responses, that's less than 8 responses per thread.  I'm hoping this year we get above 500.  Don't be afraid to share your opinion, whether it's a popular one or not.  We will once again be going 10 spots deep at all 5 positions.

Please remember these two things, please vote on the polls and vote for the best player, don't be a homer.  Most of the polls will be open 24 hours, but if the first place vote getter gets 5 or more votes than the second vote getter than I will close the thread if I'm around.

Remember, this is based on who is currently the best player, not who has the potential to be the best.  Who would you take today?

2014 SI SG Rankings
1) James Harden
2) Goran Dragic
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Lance Stephenson
5) Manu Ginobili
6) Joe Johnson
7) Monta Ellis
8)
9)
10)

2013 SI SG Rankings
1) Kobe Bryant
2) James Harden
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Andre Iguodala
5) JR Smith
6) Eric Gordon
7) Joe Johnson
8) Klay Thompson
9) Manu Ginobli
10) Monta Ellis

2012 SI SG Rankings
1) Dwyane Wade
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Joe Johnson
4) James Harden
5) Manu Ginobli

2011 SI SG Rankings
1) Dwyane Wade
2) Kobe Bryant
3) Joe Johnson
4) Monta Ellis
5) Eric Gordon

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I know Afflalo will probably get votes here, but there is 5-6 guys I would take over him.

I question how good Afflalo actually is offensively, and the guy has fallen off a cliff defensively over the last several seasons. Of the 13 guys still available he's probably in the bottom five defensively. When I say bad, I mean bad. Rock bottom. Orlando was six points BETTER with him off the court defensively.

I'd probably consider his teammate Oladipo over him.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
It's embarrassing that Wade and Johnson were taken over Beal and Thompson.

Beal is really good, I prefer him over Thompson, but both guys should be on the list already.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Beal and Thompson is a good debate.

Neither Beal or Thompson will give you much if you isolate them. They're both the kind of guys that are hurting their teams if they isolate.

Beal relies on ball screens 26% of the time, and he's a little bit above average at it. Klay uses ball screens just 8% of the time, but he's a little better than Beal when he does, but sample size...

Golden State really liked to post Klay up and he was very good when he did. Beal was never posted up.

They're both above average spot up shooters, but Klay is elite while Beal is only a little above average. 42.6% on threes for Klay, 38.5% for Beal.

They're both really good off screens, but Klay is a little better. He hit 44.5% of his threes off screens. Beal 39.6%, but it was over more than half of the attempts Klay had.

Beal is actually one of the best transition players in the game, while Klay is only slightly above average.

Defensively isn't that difference either. Beal couldn't defend the chair on a island, but Klay isn't exactly the kind of guy you would ask to do it either. Beal gets the edge getting around ball screens, creates more turns as well. Biggest difference is Mark Jackson made Klay into a reliable team defender, while Beal is WELL below average at that. Misses a lot of rotations. Isn't as good at chasing his man around screens as Klay either.

So it comes down to two average on the ball offensive players, and one elite offensive player off the ball (Klay) and one above average player off the ball (Beal). And then two slightly above average (or perfectly average) defenders.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Klay Thompson is definitely an above average defender

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Next vote for Beal or Thompson wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%