2016 MLB Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I definitely don't see him hitting .320 this year (probably around .290). However, he should hit more than 7 dingers. 15-20 is where he projects to be season to season.

Overall can see him as a 5 win player. His defence has come a long way since 2014.

But yeah, Betts is definitely the Sox best player.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Sox will be tough to contend with. David Price will see a CC Sabathia-like decline soon enough but he's poised for a huge season right now. I really like Hanley for a bounce-back year and Papi won't end his career quietly. There's no debating a Carson-Koji-Kimbrel bullpen and keep an eye on Marmol. The Sox adjusted his release point and might keep him on the 40-man roster as he adjusts to a 7th inning role. JBJ is another guy getting lost in the Spring talk. Jackie slides back to CF full time and has continued a hot bat. Posted 6.0 WAR last season. 

All this and the Moancada era hasn't begun yet. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
JBJ posted a 2.2 WAR last year unless Im looking at the wrong stat. I dont see it from Hanley, hes regressed the past 3 years, hes playing a new position, and hes fat as fuck now, and my eye test tells me he isnt really motivated anymore. I do agree with the Price assessment.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
JBJ posted a 2.2 WAR last year unless Im looking at the wrong stat. I dont see it from Hanley, hes regressed the past 3 years, hes playing a new position, and hes fat as fuck now, and my eye test tells me he isnt really motivated anymore. I do agree with the Price assessment.
I f'd that up. Mookie's WAR was 6.0 last season. JBJ hitting .240 or .250 in the bottom of the Sox lineup...mix in some extra base hits and a lot of defense. He'll be a key contributor. Rusney becomes the odd man out (make way for Benintendi) if he doesn't get his bat going this season.

Hanley is naturally regressing with age but he was downright awful last year. He's actually worked his ass off and looks great at 1B. I was reading about swing adjustments he made during the offseason and he's off to a .296 start over 27 ABs. Still has 25-dinger+ power. 

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Jbj playing all season and hitting at the minimum .250 puts up a Kevin Kiermaier WAR, which I'll take anyday.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
He's done. BC lacked an eye for major league talent. Those Han Ram, Panda and Porcello contracts are just awful

Porcello continues to look terrible in spring as well.

I understand Boston was deficient on the corners coming out of 2014 but these type of knee-jerk, analysis-less, high-profile signings are why I gave up on being a Yankee fan. I can appreciate spending money to put the best product possible onto the field but who in their right mind would classify Pablo or Porcello as such? The Hanley signing I didn't mind as much...until they planned to put him in LF. Hanley can, was, and should have remained at 3B.  Lucky for the Sox, the Farm is pretty damn loaded up.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
Jbj playing all season and hitting at the minimum .250 puts up a Kevin Kiermaier WAR, which I'll take anyday.
That's a stretch

Kiermaier is absolutely the best defensive CF in the league by far, and I'm saying that as a Pillar fan.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
I know Kiermaier is the best in the league. Jbj over a full season could match up well to Kiermaier and Pillar though. Plus JbJ has shifted to centre this year where he'll get a boost.

If he can hit mediocre, he should have no problem being worth 4 wins. Still worth less than kiermaier, but no slouch either.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
KK has put up like 9 wins over the past two seasons. That's stud status. I don't think you can compare him to somebody who had a hot August last season.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
snipezo said:
KK has put up like 9 wins over the past two seasons. That's stud status. I don't think you can compare him to somebody who had a hot August last season.
Jbj hit well in august. That was it. I'm not comparing bats.

Fielding wise jbj has the potential to put up kiermaier numbers in the outfield. He has both the arm and speed kiermaier has. The guy was worth 2.4 wins for half the season. Over the course of a full season, thats close to 5 for a prorated season (kiermaier was 5.5).

His hot august was also balanced out by a shitty september.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
AE. said:

I understand Boston was deficient on the corners coming out of 2014 but these type of knee-jerk, analysis-less, high-profile signings are why I gave up on being a Yankee fan. I can appreciate spending money to put the best product possible onto the field but who in their right mind would classify Pablo or Porcello as such? The Hanley signing I didn't mind as much...until they planned to put him in LF. Hanley can, was, and should have remained at 3B.  Lucky for the Sox, the Farm is pretty damn loaded up.
Whats good too is the core is cost controlled. So despite these anchor contracts, really no need to worry too much since Hanley and crew will be coming off the books around the time Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart etc need extensions.

Price is probably going to hurt in four years, but shit happens. Harper to the Sox in 2018.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
Jbj hit well in august. That was it. I'm not comparing bats.

Fielding wise jbj has the potential to put up kiermaier numbers in the outfield. He has both the arm and speed kiermaier has. The guy was worth 2.4 wins for half the season. Over the course of a full season, thats close to 5 for a prorated season (kiermaier was 5.5).

His hot august was also balanced out by a shitty september.
Yeah, but you're basing that off like 200+ plate appearances. Keep in mind this is a guy who had a piss poor 2013 and 2014, so his track record leaves a lot to be desired thus far. I'm not saying he doesn't have the upside, but let's not jump to conclusions that he'll all of a sudden transition into a star level outfielder.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
LeafKiller said:
Whats good too is the core is cost controlled. So despite these anchor contracts, really no need to worry too much since Hanley and crew will be coming off the books around the time Betts, Bogaerts, Swihart etc need extensions.

Price is probably going to hurt in four years, but shit happens. Harper to the Sox in 2018.

Not happening. I remain convinced the Yankees are loading up cash reserves to throw it all at Harper come then. 

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I said this before and I will say it again, the Nationals owner is the richest owner in baseball and he will outbid the Yankees. I still think he goes to the Yankees though lol

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
I said this before and I will say it again, the Nationals owner is the richest owner in baseball and he will outbid the Yankees. I still think he goes to the Yankees though lol
No he's not. Braves owner is. Lerner is i think 3rd. By your logic that means the Athletics will also throw a $300 Million offer to Bryce.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
AE. said:

Not happening. I remain convinced the Yankees are loading up cash reserves to throw it all at Harper come then. 
it'll be an old school bidding war
Dodgers vs Yankees

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
No he's not. Braves owner is. Lerner is i think 3rd. By your logic that means the Athletics will also throw a $300 Million offer to Bryce.

Lerner is #1 in MLB at $5.5 billion. Forbes lists him as #9 of all American pro sports owners for 2015. Charles Johnson of SF Giants is currently 2nd in MLB; was #1 back in 2012. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%