Porter defends athletes carrying guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Everything Turns To Nothing .
Reaction score
FanNation.com said:
Always outspoken Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter ended his two-week media embargo by coming to the defense of his former Steelers teammate Plaxico Burress, saying professional athletes have a right to own and bear arms. "Until you've been in a situation where you've been robbed at gun point, or you've had a gun waived in your face, or been car jacked, you really don't know what it feels like," Porter said. Porter, a victim of a shooting outside a Denver nightclub five years ago, admitted he's a gun owner, and said he's just one of many NFL players who feel they need to have a firearm to defend themselves and their families. Porter said his gun is registered in California but not Florida.
I understand him and Plaxico are close, but I don't think he should've said anything about this situation.

The whole interview was on ESPN's First Take this morning.. It'll probably be on SportsCenter for those who haven't seen it.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He best be gettin' that licensed in Florida. Lol.

Everything Turns To Nothing .
Reaction score
As long as he stays away from the club lol. Bad things happen to him around the club even without a gun... I think they said he was shot outside of the club once.. and then he got into a fight with a player, forgot who it was though.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
yup, good to see some1 defending the right to carry guns. Protection, and maybe that wasn't Plaxicos case but it certainly does make a point.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I understand he wants protection but, making 3+ million a year, he can't hire a bodyguard?

House of Steel

Reaction score
I am kind of drawn in the middle with the debate about bearing arms. For one thing, Porter makes a point about being a victim and having protection and on the other hand, as baggino, explained as common sense, what is wrong with these players not having a bodyguard that is legally armed? Makes much more sense and keeps them from getting into legal trouble. I know Joey Porter had his fair share of trouble brushing from his incident in Denver and Plax was robbed in Pittsburgh when he was a Steeler. Just unbelieveable stories to hear of what athletes have to go through. Now if I was an NFL player and star, I would hire a legally armed bodyguard for myself and my family for protection.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Giants WR Steve Smith has personal bodyguards tha the pays, but he got mugged outside his house a few days before the Plaxico incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%