Report: NASCAR halts double-dipping

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Report: NASCAR halts double-dipping

Last year Carl Edwards finished the season in fourth in NASCAR's Sprint Cup standings and second in the Nationwide Series.

Don't expect that to happen again. Drivers in NASCAR's three series -- Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Trucks -- will not be allowed to accrue points in more than one series for the 2011 season, according to a report from NASCAR.com.

Sprint Cup drivers such as Edwards, last year's Nationwide winner Brad Keselowski, and 2010 Nationwide wins leader Kyle Busch will no longer be allowed to chase two titles at once.

Rumors of several changes to NASCAR have swirled ahead of the sport's "competition update" slated for Jan. 21, but it appears the series designation is one that will go into effect this season.

"The brand-new license forms that are out, there's a box and in it, it states that you have to mark -- put an X -- what championship you're running for," driver Kenny Wallace told NASCAR.com.

"A driver will only be permitted to earn driver championship points in one of the following three series: NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide or NASCAR Camping World Truck Series," Wallace said, reading his application. "Please select the series in which you would like to accumulate driver championship points. Choose one."

NASCAR spokesman Kerry Tharp told NASCAR.com that questions about the three series will be answered next week at the competition update.

-ESPN
Hmmm...my first thought is: "Well there goes the casual fan interest in the Nationwide and Truck series'". Now I'd have to defer this to somebody who watches and knows more than I, (Palmer), but would Sprint Cup drivers still end up making appearances in Nationwide races? Even though they may not be able to earn driver points, I have to believe they'd do it for the added practice, rehabs, and for sponsors.

The Edge

Reaction score
I don't think they race the lower series for points. I think they race it because they love racing. I mean its almost like small town dirt track courses. My local one pays out like 1500 bucks for the highest class Feature Win. Thats 3+ races a week on those engines and you know they are never going to recover the money they dropped for their engines alone.

I wish they would just limit the driving they do. Each weekend you get 1 race you can run, driver chooses which one..However if you are a full time Nationwide driver I think you should be allowed to make a spot start in the Sprint Cup series.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think they race the lower series for points. I think they race it because they love racing. I mean its almost like small town dirt track courses. My local one pays out like 1500 bucks for the highest class Feature Win. Thats 3+ races a week on those engines and you know they are never going to recover the money they dropped for their engines alone.

I wish they would just limit the driving they do. Each weekend you get 1 race you can run, driver chooses which one..However if you are a full time Nationwide driver I think you should be allowed to make a spot start in the Sprint Cup series.
I think what you just said is pretty much the whole point of this new rule...except for the NNS driver being allowed to make a spot start.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Hmmm...my first thought is: "Well there goes the casual fan interest in the Nationwide and Truck series'". Now I'd have to defer this to somebody who watches and knows more than I, (Palmer), but would Sprint Cup drivers still end up making appearances in Nationwide races? Even though they may not be able to earn driver points, I have to believe they'd do it for the added practice, rehabs, and for sponsors.
Yeah, they will still race in the other series, even if they can't run for points & championship. I believe they can still run for Owners Championship and all that. So guys that race in the Sprint Cup, that also race in the Nationwide Series - Joey Logano, Kyle Busch, Carl Edwards, Brad Keselowski etc will still be running in the Nationwide series. Whether they run a full schedule is definitely in question because they can't really gain much by doing so. Joey Logano generally races a little more than half. I expect the developmental drivers to get a lot more races, but I still see these guys racing quite often. I like this move for a few reasons: A. These big powerhouse teams/drivers always get the best equipment & teams, leaving these inexperienced drivers basically no chance at the title. The only thing I like about the big boys racing in all the series is that, if you beat them, it's saying a lot, and you are also learning a lot of different things from them. I'm sure it has to make them better race car drivers. So basically to sum this up, I like the move from NASCAR's stand point, but you also don't want to lose everything that these individual drivers bring to each series. As long as Joey Logano is still racing in the Nationwide series and winning races, that's all I care about. Any way, they will still race, but the schedules or races they run, won't be the same, I'm sure. I don't know the full details, yet.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Felt the need to bump this. In the Nationwide Series, only one non Sprint Cup driver has a win. That's Stenhouse Jr. Of the 12 races ran so far, Kyle Busch has 5 wins, Carl Edwards has 3 wins, Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, and Tony Stewart all have one win.

Then you have the Truck Series, who has run 7 races. Kyle Busch has 4 of the 7 races, while another Cup driver, Kasey Kahne has another. Only one Truck regular has a win, and that's Johny Sauter.

I kind of wish Nascar would just say (if you have a certain number of starts in the Cup Series, you can not run the Nationwide or Truck series, UNLESS you are nolonger running a Cup car (Elliot Sadler, Michael Waltrip with his one win in a truck, etc).

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Felt the need to bump this. In the Nationwide Series, only one non Sprint Cup driver has a win. That's Stenhouse Jr. Of the 12 races ran so far, Kyle Busch has 5 wins, Carl Edwards has 3 wins, Denny Hamlin, Mark Martin, and Tony Stewart all have one win.

Then you have the Truck Series, who has run 7 races. Kyle Busch has 4 of the 7 races, while another Cup driver, Kasey Kahne has another. Only one Truck regular has a win, and that's Johny Sauter.

I kind of wish Nascar would just say (if you have a certain number of starts in the Cup Series, you can not run the Nationwide or Truck series, UNLESS you are nolonger running a Cup car (Elliot Sadler, Michael Waltrip with his one win in a truck, etc).
I agree with everything you said. These big names that dominate these lower series get enough spotlight. They need to let these younger drivers get there's. These drivers that come in and dominate get the best equipment so it's pretty easy for them.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And...another Sprint Cup driver takes the Nationwide race. A driver who has never driven the new Nationwide car at that.

Infact, four of the top six finishers were Cup regulars.

I have another idea, Nascar should just say if you have driven in a number of Cup races, you can only run _5?_ Nationwide races a season, or something of that nature. Or they can't run tracks that are on the Cup schedule, but I don't think that would fix much.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
And...another Sprint Cup driver takes the Nationwide race. A driver who has never driven the new Nationwide car at that.

Infact, four of the top six finishers were Cup regulars.

I have another idea, Nascar should just say if you have driven in a number of Cup races, you can only run _5?_ Nationwide races a season, or something of that nature. Or they can't run tracks that are on the Cup schedule, but I don't think that would fix much.
Sounds good to me, but I'm sure NASCAR won't make the changes. I'm sure they feel the changes they made in the off season where you can only commit to one series is enough for them, but who knows. I know it has to be frustrating for the younger drivers, they aren't getting the credit they deserve. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has really come to life lately. had the fastest car at the end of the race today but ran out of time. Joey Logano really struggled today, I'm not sure what's going on with him.

The Edge

Reaction score
I actually hate this day. Not a fan of Charlotte. would rather see the extend a race like Bristol out to 750 or just go all out and make them run a 500 Mile 1000 lap race there. Would be much more entertaining IMO. Don't mind the Indy 500.

On topic, when I heard about the rule I was pretty happy with it thinking it would help keep low level drivers more spotlight but they gotta do something else, make them choose to enter 1 race for a weekend like they choose one series to race for points in. Or after they have a season of Sprint Cup under their belt unless they lose their ride and aren't competing for points at that level they cannot return to a low level series.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I actually hate this day. Not a fan of Charlotte. would rather see the extend a race like Bristol out to 750 or just go all out and make them run a 500 Mile 1000 lap race there. Would be much more entertaining IMO. Don't mind the Indy 500.

On topic, when I heard about the rule I was pretty happy with it thinking it would help keep low level drivers more spotlight but they gotta do something else, make them choose to enter 1 race for a weekend like they choose one series to race for points in. Or after they have a season of Sprint Cup under their belt unless they lose their ride and aren't competing for points at that level they cannot return to a low level series.
I agree with everything you said.

BTW, I don't really know you but I saw one of your posts like a week ago and I forgot to ask. It's pretty clear your a Ingram fan, but your sig also gives the impression your a Falcons fan.

So now that Ingram is a Saint, are you still a fan of him? Or is it one of those "I hope he does good unless he's playing the Falcons" relationships?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%