Your Football Philosophies

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Assume you have ideal personnel--what are your philosophies in regard to getting the most out of your team?

Offensively, I like changing formations between possessions, throwing new things at defenses. Primarily I'm a fan of under center, single back, with play action. If I'm going to use a FB he better be able to block and catch. I'm not a huge fan of shotgun but like the deception that comes with the pistol as a 5-10 plays per game kind of thing. I prefer not to run too much spread but sometimes a shitty secondary dictates that you should.

Defensively I prefer 4-3 but want OLBs who can blitz or put their hands in the dirt if I ask them to, and I want to blitz the A gaps with my guy in the middle. I want my DL to regularly run stunts on passing downs. My secondary plays mostly press coverage but third and fourth and long we're smart and give some cushion. I like to blitz out of the secondary. I'm not big on zone coverage but if the opposing QB is prone to bad throws it's a necessity to try and force TOs.

ST I need a punter who loves the coffin corners because I don't go for it on fourth and short all that often unless it's inches and can get it with a sneak. My kickoff man better be able to directional kick. Kickers may not be a dime a dozen for great ones but the asshole better not miss too many FGs.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
you play to win the game

Steez

Reaction score
Half of football, is 90% mental.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Defensively, I suppose you'd consider it a 34 for the most part, but my base defense will be the 3-3-5.  I'm running nickel at least 70% of the time.  It's going to be an aggressive one-gap 3-3-5 with a heavy emphasis on disguised blitz packages.  I want the offense to be in constant confusion as to where my extra rusher is going to come from.  Most of what I'd do on defense is significantly influenced by what the Cardinals already do.

Being successful running this scheme is heavily dependent on having multiple ball hawks on the back end of the defense that you can constantly rotate into the game, but the one spot that really allows this particular scheme to excel is a hybrid safety/linebacker that you can trust to play down on the line (ex. Deone Bucannon/Mark Barron).  I guess this has turned into what I'd do if I had a specific personnel group, rather than a philosophy I'd abide by, but this is my ideal scenario.

Offensively, I want relatively lean, athletic offensive linemen to execute a zone blocking scheme.  I want at least two running backs that can contribute in the passing game.  I'm likely splitting carries evenly between at least two capable backs.  I have no interest in featuring just one back, I want to constantly have someone with fresh legs lined up in the backfield.  I'm going to spread the defense out, as well as push the pace.  Lots of no huddle.

My passing game will feature a lot of three wide sets.  There would likely be several run concepts implemented into the passing game as well. (Tight end in the backfield, motioning out to block on short hitch routes or in the flats).  I also still feel like the zone-read can still be a very dangerous weapon if used sparingly.  I don't necessarily need a mobile quarterback, but having a QB that can pose even a slight threat as a runner can open up a lot of options for some zone-read packages, and I want to keep the defense on their heels.

I'd also go for it on 4th and 3 or shorter if I'm anywhere between my own 45 and the opposing 40.  

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
FTR, I would love to run mostly nickel sets, but it takes excellent linebackers against the run. It's something my NFL team can get away with because of Barr and Kendricks, but it's not something everybody could do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%