Saints will reportedly consider trading coach Sean Payton during offseason

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Payton Could Be Dealt for Financial Reasons

On Sunday, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports wrote: "League sources said the Saints—adrift in another lost season and with veteran quarterback Drew Brees spiraling in recent weeks—would consider moving the coach should there be suitors, and it would not likely require hefty trade compensation."

A source told La Canfora: "I don't think it would take all that much to get him, actually. I don't think [GM] Mickey [Loomis] would hold him back or ask for all that much in return at this point."

Trading Payton could have significant financial benefits, freeing up around $40 million. That, combined with Brees' inevitable departure in the coming years—he'll be a free agent after the 2017 season—will give the team far more flexibility.

While Payton led the Saints to a Super Bowl title in the 2009 season and five playoff appearances, they haven't reached the postseason since the 2013 campaign and are 19-26 since then.

With the team out of the playoff picture again this year—and with Brees struggling over his past five games, with nine touchdowns and nine interceptions, while the Saints have gone 1-4—it may be time for New Orleans to move on from the Payton-Brees partnership.

There will be plenty of interest in Payton. The Indianapolis Colts were reportedly interested in him in the past, per La Canfora, while the Los Angeles Rams fired Jeff Fisher this season and could look to make a splash. Other head coaching jobs will likely open up as well.
Payton's pedigree will make him an appealing name for teams in the coaching market this offseason if the Saints are willing to deal him.

Via Bleacherreport

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
If they do trade him, by far the best place IMO would to go to the Jets, and they pick up Romo as well. Two EIU alums together 

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
They really ought to. He's easily the most overrated coach in the league. Talked about like he's some mastermind but can't build a defense and runs an offense completely reliant on elite QB play. 

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
His GM hasn't done him any favors though. I think he could win in a different situation.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
His GM hasn't done him any favors though. I think he could win in a different situation.
It's more him than Loomis to be honest. Loomis is just a money guy, Payton has really gotten into scouting over the last several years and has clearly been pretty bad at it.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
It's more him than Loomis to be honest. Loomis is just a money guy, Payton has really gotten into scouting over the last several years and has clearly been pretty bad at it.
I didn't know about the scouting thing but it's hard to win with 41 Million in dead money. I think it's time to cut ties with the two of them and reboot. It seems like both have run their course.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think so, you've seen a retooling in the scouting department and even at 7-8 a lot of people are optimistic about next season. There last two draft classes look very promising and they've had some good FA signings, especially this year.

Though if they come out and have another average season, I wouldn't be shocked to see a lot of changes made.

joeharsh23

Reaction score
a lot of people wanted Andy Reid out of Philly, watch what you wish for Saints fans

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Trading Brees wouldn't be the worst idea ever either. I mean he's a legend in NOLA so highly doubt it's gonna happen, but he's 38 years old and they aren't going to build a Super Bowl contender around him in the next 3 years.

I'd say the same thing about the Chargers and Philip Rivers. If Bradford can get a 1st rounder so can both of these guys, plus a little more.

47th oG

Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Trading Brees wouldn't be the worst idea ever either. I mean he's a legend in NOLA so highly doubt it's gonna happen, but he's 38 years old and they aren't going to build a Super Bowl contender around him in the next 3 years.

I'd say the same thing about the Chargers and Philip Rivers. If Bradford can get a 1st rounder so can both of these guys, plus a little more.
I wonder what teams would be interested, also wonder what they can get in return for him. I honestly don't see it happening

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They aren't trading Drew, but I do think him walking after next season is a legit possibility.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:

It depends which teams are doing the trading.

Vikings moved their 1st because they thought they could compete right away, and hes 29 y/o. No team that isnt contending, like SF, will trade a 1st for a 35 year old QB

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
It depends which teams are doing the trading.

Vikings moved their 1st because they thought they could compete right away, and hes 29 y/o. No team that isnt contending, like SF, will trade a 1st for a 35 year old QB
I'd take a 35 YO Brees over a 29 YO Bradford. There really aren't any teams other than the Broncos that are a QB away from being contenders. KC would be interesting, but other than that just lackluster teams needing QBs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%