Nats Hire Davey Martinez

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Props to Martinez for landing his first managerial gig. He gets a 3-year deal for money dough than the Nats paid Dusty. Dave is a great baseball guy and fits the mold of younger, analytical managerial hires this offseason. 

I pegged Washington Girardi's next spot and I was wrong. Doesn't look like Joe G will be in the dugout this next season.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Girardi might be waiting for the Cubs job
Cubs job!? That's not opening up anytime soon. Joe does some weird shit as a manager but they love him in Chicago. The burden is on Theo to bring in better quality bullpen this offseason.

brett05

Reaction score
I think if the Cubs don't win the Central Joe is on the hot seat and they replace him with a better manager in Girardi

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
I think if the Cubs don't win the Central Joe is on the hot seat and they replace him with a better manager in Girardi
Joe is nowhere near the hot set. They could finish 3rd in the NL Central and he still has a job. Going from Maddon to Girardi is downgrading. Girardi isn't the type of manager Theo meshes with. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
You might be onto something...

I don't see it happening though.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
While we're on the subject of top 20

Tony La Russa
Tommy Lasorda
Joe Torre
Tito Francona
Bruce Bochy
Jim Leyland
Sparky Anderson
Lou Pinella
Jack McKeon
Frank Robinson
Bobby Cox
Connie Mack
Whitey Herzog
Mike Scoscia
Joe Maddon
Dick Williams
Casey Stengel
John McGraw
Buck Showalter
Davey Johnson
Walter Alston
Earl Weaver
Joe McCarty

...all better than Joe Girardi.  Joe would be somewhere in my top 30 but nowhere near the top 20.

brett05

Reaction score
AE. said:
Joe is nowhere near the hot set. They could finish 3rd in the NL Central and he still has a job. Going from Maddon to Girardi is downgrading. Girardi isn't the type of manager Theo meshes with. 
Completely disagree with your assessment.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Completely disagree with your assessment.

Which part? Maddon has 2 trips to the LCS and a World Series in 3 years, .602 win pct....how is he anywhere near a hot seat? 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

Which part? Maddon has 2 trips to the LCS and a World Series in 3 years, .602 win pct....how is he anywhere near a hot seat? 
The same way Joe Girardi and John Farrell were on the hot seat... Maddon is in a much better position, but as it happened with Farrell and Girardi, anyone can be fired.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
The same way Joe Girardi and John Farrell were on the hot seat... Masson is in a much better position, but as it happened with Farrell and Girardi, anyone can be fired.

There's a big difference here. Maddon isn't clashing with the front office at all and his players like him. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
The same way Joe Girardi and John Farrell were on the hot seat... Masson is in a much better position, but as it happened with Farrell and Girardi, anyone can be fired.
Seems like wishful thinking on your part

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:

There's a big difference here. Maddon isn't clashing with the front office at all and his players like him. 
Before their firing, where did it say Farrell and Girardi were clashing with the front office and that players didn't get along?

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Reading between the lines you can determine that there was clashes. 

As well both obviously wanted culture changes.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Before their firing, where did it say Farrell and Girardi were clashing with the front office and that players didn't get along?
It was speculative that the Yanks were ready to get younger at the Manager spot but we found out later that the front office wasn’t happy with Girardi’s handling of the Chris Carter/1B situation. As for Farrell, dude, everybody who follows the Red Sox knew Farrell didn’t mesh with his players very well at all. I remember reading how the players always deferred to Torey Lovullo on a lot of situations. There was also countless situations this season that were signals of Farrell’s fate. The controversy regarding lack of clubhouse leadership, Farrell literally not knowing the rules in games, and of course the “its not me, it’s them” situation in Boston.

Dombrowski said Farrell was gone regardless of team performance this season. What’s that tell us?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
It was speculative that the Yanks were ready to get younger at the Manager spot but we found out later that the front office wasn’t happy with Girardi’s handling of the Chris Carter/1B situation. As for Farrell, dude, everybody who follows the Red Sox knew Farrell didn’t mesh with his players very well at all. I remember reading how the players always deferred to Torey Lovullo on a lot of situations. There was also countless situations this season that were signals of Farrell’s fate. The controversy regarding lack of clubhouse leadership, Farrell literally not knowing the rules in games, and of course the “its not me, it’s them” situation in Boston.

Dombrowski said Farrell was gone regardless of team performance this season. What’s that tell us?
And we know the Cubs are 100% satisfied with Joe Maddon?  What if there is info covered up in this scenario just like any of the others?

Look, I think it would be stupid for the Cubs to fire Maddon.  He's probably the best manager in baseball (or one of them) and I'm sure they're happy with him.  My main point is that I don't buy the reasoning behind the Yankees not taking Girardi back.  I don't think there's a better option out there for the Yankees right now and they let a manger who took them one game away from the World Series walk away from their team.

catman

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason Girardi didn't go back is because he was going to demand too much money.  He was already paid more than the other playoff managers and would have asked for a raise to return.  They can get someone that will get along with the players and front office better for less money.  It was all about the Benjamins.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We can play the what if game but end of day, the Cubs fired a good manager in Renteria after one year bc Maddon became available. Maddon has 2 Trips to the NLCS and a World Series Title in 3 years, and somebody is going to try to convince me he could be fired after year 4!? I don’t think so. Apply common sense fellas.

Girardi was also overrated as a manager. I appreciate th shit he dealt with but like I said before, winning only one title in a decade with a humongous payroll is a letdown.

Girardi is simply dated. The front office is adapting and Joe no longer fits into the schematic.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Culture change its massively underrated.

Can't always be an old boys club.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%