SI's 2016 NBA Draft Analysis

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I never commented on your ranking of Jaylen Brown. 

I usually don't like wing/perimeter players who can't shoot, I've been consistent on this for years. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I also said Boston would be stupid for picking him, which is exactly what happened. Never said they wouldn't pick him, I said they very well could pick him.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Chad Ford's grading

There are two ways to evaluate Boston's draft night.
Based on pure talent, I really like five of the six players the Celtics netted on Thursday. Boston probably gets an A- to B+ in that category.
The other way to grade the draft is on what we expected from the Celtics. Here, they earn an F. 
I averaged the two grades together to get a grade of C.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Chad Ford's grading
Yeah that's basically where I'm at. You know I like the guys they drafted in round 2

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You gotta wait at least two years to find out Chad Ford's true opinion of these prospects before they were drafted

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Yeah that's basically where I'm at. You know I like the guys they drafted in round 2
but like that's stupid that Boston is being held at a standard higher than any other team

Because the Bulls wanted Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, and multiple 1sts for Jimmy Butler and we didn't want to do that -- it's a poor draft for Boston? That makes no sense. We had the 3rd pick in the draft and we took a really good player with it. And I would argue Brown had the highest of ceilings among the 3-8 prospects (not necessarily the most attainable ceilings though) too, so I really question why it's so bad

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Because they improved their team so minimally when they had the chance to land a superstar and improve their team drastically?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Why does Minnesota get the pass for not trading for Butler, but when Chicago offers shit deals for Boston its our fault? Nobody with the 3rd pick was a starter in the first place, whether it was Dunn, Murray, or Brown.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd go back to what I said on the first page of the draft thread:

Also wanted to reiterate, smart teams draft the players they like best and figure the rest out later. 99.5% of these guys wont actually be good for 3-4 years, so why draft with your current roster in mind when history says your roster will be so different in 3-4 years.

Also, talking about "positions" again, I think smart teams think in terms of skill sets. Positions don't matter, except for when you give the program to the casual fan.
Boston did neither of those things, and for that reason it was a disappointing draft.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Why does Minnesota get the pass for not trading for Butler, but when Chicago offers shit deals for Boston its our fault? Nobody with the 3rd pick was a starter in the first place, whether it was Dunn, Murray, or Brown.
Because Minnesota didn't pronounce to the world how badly they wanted to make a deal and land a superstar

Also Minnesota is not a playoff team (yet)

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Minnesota tried, but they offered fucking Rubio and 5 for Butler.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
I'd go back to what I said on the first page of the draft thread:

Boston did neither of those things, and for that reason it was a disappointing draft.
Clearly Boston did take the player they like best
Just its because its not the player YOU like the best doesn't mean its not who Danny likes.

Kristaps was booed and he was a great pick. Everyone else wanted them to take Mudiay (especially you Nola), and he was terrible last year. Who says this won't be the same situation

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Because Minnesota didn't pronounce to the world how badly they wanted to make a deal and land a superstar

Also Minnesota is not a playoff team (yet)
technically the media did, not boston.

Question for you CC: what would have been a "fair deal" between Boston and Chicago for Butler? I personally think Crowder, Smart, and #3 would be as high as I would want to go.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
technically the media did, not boston.

Question for you CC: what would have been a "fair deal" between Boston and Chicago for Butler? I personally think Crowder, Smart, and #3 would be as high as I would want to go.
If I was controlling them, Id be willing to add another player to that, but there is no way I'm adding any more Brooklyn picks to the deal.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
If I was controlling them, Id be willing to add another player to that, but there is no way I'm adding any more Brooklyn picks to the deal.
i mean sure, I'd throw in Olynyk, Rozier, Hunter, or Young easy for that deal. I'm not trading Boston's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th best players for Butler, along with the 3rd pick and a possible 1st overall pick next year. That's incredibly too much

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Am I the only person that just doesn't get the love for Marcus Smart?

It seems like Celtics fans are using Smart as the center piece of all trade rumors for star players, and I just don't get it.  I don't know if he'll ever be anything more than another Tony Allen, which is fine.  Allen is a great role player, but you're not going to get a guy like Demarcus Cousins for Tony Allen and draft picks.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:

It seems like Celtics fans are using Smart as the center piece of all trade rumors for star players, and I just don't get it.  I don't know if he'll ever be anything more than another Tony Allen, which is fine.  Allen is a great role player, but you're not going to get a guy like Demarcus Cousins for Tony Allen and draft picks.
I have been ripping into Marcus Smart at every turn for the last year. He's terrible, but people think he has value. I don't quite get it. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Hurricane Season said:

He's already near-T.Allen level defensively, but his promise relies a ton due to inconsistency
You look at his stats, and they really aren't good. But those stats really do not tell the whole picture. 

When Smart was used as a catch-and-shoot player last year, he shot 21.9% from the field, and 22.4% from three point range. I would categorize those numbers are pretty awful. But his shooting numbers on pull-up jumpers were far from the same. He shot 39.3% from the field and 35.7% from three (for reference, James Harden shot 35.9% this past year from three). Those are not bad numbers at all.

Then you look at his playoff output, and its completely flipped. Smart shot 36.4% from the field and 36.8% from three on catch-and-shoot, and 23.1% from the field and 25% from three on pull-ups. And to note, Smart shot 45.6% of his FGA from three in the regular season, and 53.3% during the playoffs.

Smart shows that he can shoot the ball well; he's just incredibly inconsistent so far. But he's still very young, and is around the same age now where Westbrook learned how to shoot as well. Hell, it took Jimmy Butler until he was 25 to become a good shooter really. If Smart can work on his consistency and his decision making (aka shooting less from deep), coupled with his already elite defense he can be a really good player in the NBA.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Celtics could get a rack of basketballs for Marcus Smart, that's about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%