Darvish to Cubs

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
The beautiful thing about the Q-Lester-Darvish argument is they're all Cubs so it really doesn't matter

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Certainly wont matter in the World Series this year

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Way to reduce it to a single year and ignore the evidence since 2012.  Bravo!

Yeah, Tim Lincecum was also a complete stud Ace once too. Shit changes. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Lots go over your head huh?

Hey guess what.... Jose Quintana isn't at the top of anyone's rotation anymore. He's a #3 and will remain so.

Tell me more about how good he was 5 years ago and how that's still relevant now.

CoachAF

Reaction score
I dont understand all the arguing. It all doesnt matter anyways. The Astros got 2018 locked down. Can we just Quick Play this season to go to one where other teams have a chance?

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:
I dont understand all the arguing. It all doesnt matter anyways. The Astros got 2018 locked down. Can we just Quick Play this season to go to one where other teams have a chance?
You wish it's that easy, don't you? I think the Yankees are better. Even the others will compete.

brett05

Reaction score
A lot can happen, but right now, yes the road to the Championship goes right thru Houston.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
A lot can happen, but right now, yes the road to the Championship goes right thru Houston.
I wouldn't be so sold on it before we start the season.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I wouldn't be so sold on it before we start the season.
Just look at the paperwork.  That offense was the best in the league by double the next team.  They added Verlander to make the rotation that much better.  Again, on paper, hard not to pick another team unless you guzzle kool-aid

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
brett05 said:
Just look at the paperwork.  That offense was the best in the league by double the next team.  They added Verlander to make the rotation that much better.  Again, on paper, hard not to pick another team unless you guzzle kool-aid
I guzzle kool-aid and I like it.

But you've got to admit that the Yankees and Red Sox have gotten better offensively from last year, especially the Yankees.

I don't expect them to all put up the same exact numbers or better. They're great, but they aren't running away with anything just yet.

So much can happen in a season.

brett05

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I guzzle kool-aid and I like it.

But you've got to admit that the Yankees and Red Sox have gotten better offensively from last year, especially the Yankees.

I don't expect them to all put up the same exact numbers or better. They're great, but they aren't running away with anything just yet.

So much can happen in a season.
No argument at all, but that's just how good on paper the Astros are. 

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Astros were head and shoulders above the rest of the league last season but so were the Cubs in 2016. Gun to my head, Houston would be my ALCS champ right now, but there's questions. They still have a sketchy bullpen and everyone is a year older. What if Verlander was lightning in a bottle and his first half with Detroit is the reality of the downside of his career?  Can they continue to get the most out of mediocre starters who throw 80% breaking pitches? 

The Red Sox just added a monster bat but more importantly, their manager is well-versed on the AJ Hinch method. Boston will replicate a lot of what the Astros do on the field.  The Yankees also added a big bat and they went toe-to-toe with Houston in last year's ALCS.  

Astros are ahead but the gap isn't nearly as big as some assume.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
If you asked somebody in 2016 both the Indians and cubs were the favorites for 2017. Neither made it.

A lot can happen in baseball.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Astros were head and shoulders above the rest of the league last season but so were the Cubs in 2016. Gun to my head, Houston would be my ALCS champ right now, but there's questions. They still have a sketchy bullpen and everyone is a year older. What if Verlander was lightning in a bottle and his first half with Detroit is the reality of the downside of his career?  Can they continue to get the most out of mediocre starters who throw 80% breaking pitches? 

The Red Sox just added a monster bat but more importantly, their manager is well-versed on the AJ Hinch method. Boston will replicate a lot of what the Astros do on the field.  The Yankees also added a big bat and they went toe-to-toe with Houston in last year's ALCS.  

Everyone says it's their offense, yet the Astros really took off when they got Verlander, so I'm not getting the argument there. Without Verlander, they don't win 100 games and probably just get 90.

CoachAF

Reaction score
AE. said:

Isn't a ginormous gap by any means.Everyone is a year older indeed. Altuve is 27, Bregman is 23, Correa is 23, Springer is 28, Keuchel is a ridiculous 30, McCullers is 24, and newly acquired Cole is a step away from the old-folks home at 27.....This team is ridiculously young. Yes they have vets like McCann and Verlander, but the core is so young it is sickening. 

I cant wait to see how this season plays out. The Indians will be tough (and they play in a crappy division), and the Yankees/Red Sox are obviously both very talented. 

I just hope that the Astros can come within 90% of what they did last year offensively. They were historically good, and that was with a horrible Beltran weighing us down. 

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Coach said:

Isn't a ginormous gap by any means.Everyone is a year older indeed. Altuve is 27, Bregman is 23, Correa is 23, Springer is 28, Keuchel is a ridiculous 30, McCullers is 24, and newly acquired Cole is a step away from the old-folks home at 27.....This team is ridiculously young. Yes they have vets like McCann and Verlander, but the core is so young it is sickening. 

I cant wait to see how this season plays out. The Indians will be tough (and they play in a crappy division), and the Yankees/Red Sox are obviously both very talented. 

I just hope that the Astros can come within 90% of what they did last year offensively. They were historically good, and that was with a horrible Beltran weighing us down. 
I think it's going to be close between Indians, Astros, Red Sox, and Yankees.  I think they're going to all be within 5 wins of each other come the end of the season.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
I think it's going to be close between Indians, Astros, Red Sox, and Yankees.  I think they're going to all be within 5 wins of each other come the end of the season.
bold take

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
bold take
It might be bold, but I'll go with it. I think the Red Sox ofense is a lot better than it was last year and not just because of Martinez. Players were playing through injury, some were underplaying, and I think Cora will hold them accountable more than Farrell.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
lol you dont get sarcasm

you literally said the AL will be between the four teams that were in the ALDS this past year. its not bold at all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%