The Fault of "Ted Thompson's" Stars

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Is their a more overrated GM in NFL history than Ted Thompson?

Dude has been gifted 2 HOF QBs his ENTIRE time as GM and has only ONE!!!!!!! Super Bowl appearance to his credit. I'm aware they won the game....but only because of BJ raji picking off Caleb Hanie.

His refusal to spend more money in free agency is a total slap in the face to Aaron Rodgers.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Football is so much more complicated than "we have a great quarterback, and therefore we should make the Super Bowl."

There are a lot of teams with great QBs that struggle to put together consistent playoff seasons. New Orleans, Dallas, and San Diego come to mind almost immediately. 

The game is bigger than the quarterback position, and even when you put solid rosters around those QBs (which Ted Thompson has consistently done around Favre and Rodgers, it's immensely difficult to make it to the big game).

Green Bay isn't missing a whole lot in particular. Spending money in FA is completely overrated. They're more likely to land a high twenties/post thirty FA still in his prime (White--obviously this wasn't Thompson but White was over 30 so it's part of the trend, Woodson, Peppers) than to spend gratuitous money on some guy looking to max out hoping he can sign a big deal so getting injured doesn't matter. Ted Thompson has simply continued a trend that works. 

You look at teams that make the playoffs pretty much every season--New England, Green Bay, Baltimore come to mind, and none of them spend gratuitously. Consistent greatness is not the product of an open wallet. Ask the Yankees. Ask the Eagles.

Enjoy your lesson on football. There will be more. I'm here every day. 

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
Green Bay has had success in terms of playoff constant appearances because they have a top 5 QB and 6 games a year against normally mediocre competition.  

Green Bay has consistently had weak inside LBs, an inconsistent front 3, and overrated safeties post Nick Collins.  Plus a medicore HEAD COACH ,,Mike McCarthy would be a great OC) and mediocre DC.  Dom Capers has owned Cutler, but his defenses have gotten LIT UP in big moments far too often by good teams.

You are honestly telling me they couldn't have used Danny Trevathan and/or Jerrell Freeman??  Just because a lot of free agent contracts end up not working out?

Aaron Rodgers has 7 career playoff wins. 4 of which have come against Michael Vick, Kirk Cousins, a Cutler/Hanie tag-team, and.... JOE WEBB,  At what point do we accept he is a poor mans Peyton Manning?

Senators26

Reaction score
I wish the Bears could have a poor mans Peyton Manning rather than diabetic Jay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%