Conor McGregor is the GOAT

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Took him all of 13 seconds to knock Jose Aldo out cold. The Irishman talks a lot of shit but he backs it up every time. Aldo has been regarded as the best P4P fighter in the UFC for quite some time.

Foreman

Detroit Vs. Everybody
Reaction score
Only disappointed for waiting the entire card for a 13 second fight but I can't complain about the outcome. I did love that make it rain celebration he did though

Stray32

Reaction score
The only reason I'm not even a little upset about all that wait for a 13 second fight is because I love McGregor and damn that was incredible

Foreman

Detroit Vs. Everybody
Reaction score
Stray32 said:
The only reason I'm not even a little upset about all that wait for a 13 second fight is because I love McGregor and damn that was incredible
I love both fighters lol, like i didn't care who won

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Foreman said:
Only disappointed for waiting the entire card for a 13 second fight but I can't complain about the outcome. I did love that make it rain celebration he did though
He made it rain in Aldo's corner too.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Fedor's the GOAT but Aldo getting dropped was funny/shocking.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
Fedor's the GOAT but Aldo getting dropped was funny/shocking.
Fedor is/was boring. Sorry but no fighter who doesn't speak English can generate the kind of hype a guy like Conor does. I stepped away from paying MMA much attention once GSP went on hiatus and guys like BJ and Spider started getting their asses kicked. The Megregor and Rousey hype has pulled me back in.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
Fedor is/was boring. Sorry but no fighter who doesn't speak English can generate the kind of hype a guy like Conor does. I stepped away from paying MMA much attention once GSP went on hiatus and guys like BJ and Spider started getting their asses kicked. The Megregor and Rousey hype has pulled me back in.
Yeah, that has nothing to do with talent or skill. I don't understand how anyone could find him boring but to each their own. Hype is completely irrelevant. And if you honestly think there's no hype around Fedor (or never was) then wow. Just because there's a lack of hype for him in America doesn't mean there's no hype. But really hype is completely irrelevant in someone being the best fighter.

Bugsy

Reaction score
The hype for cro cop vs fedor >>>> hype for Aldo vs mcgregor.

RunSoHard

Reaction score
Yeah since Matt Hughes and Silva have left the sport I haven't followed much but I made an effort to watch this fight because of the hype. I listen to a lot of Sports talk radio and I absolutely love when they have McGregor on.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
The hype for cro cop vs fedor >>>> hype for Aldo vs mcgregor.
Yeah...in Moscow.

The only hype Fedor surrounding Fedor in the US was whether or not he'd ever sign with the UFC. I was a Fedor fan and followed him through PRIDE and (to some extent) DREAM. After a while though, he was no longer fighting the best of the best. Now he's no different than other favorites from our past. Father time has caught up and its time to move on.

In all fairness, the promotion for MMA is completely different now than it was during Fedor's time. And for the record, in my honest opinion, Sakuraba is the true G.O.A.T.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
Yeah...in Moscow.

The only hype Fedor surrounding Fedor in the US was whether or not he'd ever sign with the UFC. I was a Fedor fan and followed him through PRIDE and (to some extent) DREAM. After a while though, he was no longer fighting the best of the best. Now he's no different than other favorites from our past. Father time has caught up and its time to move on.

In all fairness, the promotion for MMA is completely different now than it was during Fedor's time. And for the record, in my honest opinion, Sakuraba is the true G.O.A.T.
In Moscow? Lmao. You talk about following fedor yet you have no real clue about his popularity. There's a reason he's making millions just to show up for his next fight. He was getting exposure in the US while still in pride. I love Sakuraba but he is not the GOAT. Fedor was the first complete fighter who destroyed some of the best fighters in the world. Sakuraba had a lot of flaws in his fighting.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
In Moscow? Lmao. You talk about following fedor yet you have no real clue about his popularity. There's a reason he's making millions just to show up for his next fight. He was getting exposure in the US while still in pride. I love Sakuraba but he is not the GOAT. Fedor was the first complete fighter who destroyed some of the best fighters in the world. Sakuraba had a lot of flaws in his fighting.
I don't study Sambo or Jiu Jitsu. I'm not one of those guys who brags about being a purple belt or watches fights so I can critique one's ground game. I watch MMA for sheer entertainment value. That said, take from me, Fedor isn't/wasn't all that entertaining to watch.

Stray32

Reaction score
So back on topic, the GOAT in this thread's title was obviously not serious, but he is off to a great start and he's a very exciting fighter. I thought it was hilarious in the post-fight interview when Aldo tried to say that wasn't a real fight and Rogan goes "well it was a real fight just I don't know how much of it you remember"

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
I don't study Sambo or Jiu Jitsu. I'm not one of those guys who brags about being a purple belt or watches fights so I can critique one's ground game. I watch MMA for sheer entertainment value. That said, take from me, Fedor isn't/wasn't all that entertaining to watch.
That's your choice/opinion. Nothing wrong with that- more power to you. But to people who understand and appreciate all aspects of MMA, Fedor was one of the most exciting fighters to watch. Then add in the fact he was a master game planner. He beat big nog at his own game (on the ground) and then he faces one of the best strikers ever in MMA and out kick boxes him. I find those things exciting (as do others). Keep in mind Pride FC was the premier MMA organisation before UFC. They had 90k in attendance for an event before Fedor debuted and while the UFC was getting maybe 13k on a good night. Long before Brock ended Heath's career with one punch, Fedor dominated an in his prime Heath. I will say Fedor and Sakuraba on the same card is bringing back nostalgia.

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Bugsy said:
That's your choice/opinion. Nothing wrong with that- more power to you. But to people who understand and appreciate all aspects of MMA, Fedor was one of the most exciting fighters to watch. Then add in the fact he was a master game planner. He beat big nog at his own game (on the ground) and then he faces one of the best strikers ever in MMA and out kick boxes him. I find those things exciting (as do others). Keep in mind Pride FC was the premier MMA organisation before UFC. They had 90k in attendance for an event before Fedor debuted and while the UFC was getting maybe 13k on a good night. Long before Brock ended Heath's career with one punch, Fedor dominated an in his prime Heath. I will say Fedor and Sakuraba on the same card is bringing back nostalgia.
I understand MMA, but I'm not different than most in that I have my preferences. I also know more about PRIDE than many who follow the sport. I've always preferred open rings, longer rounds, and many of the rules that differ from what we have in today's UFC. Even better is the showmanship of Japanese MMA. The alter egos, elaborate entrances, crying Japanese girls in the crowd....it's a perfect mix of entertainment and fighting.

I have to ask...of all fights, why are you using Crazy Horse as a measuring stick?

And while I'm also excited about Rising Sun on NYE, lets not oversell it. Washed up Fedor and Sakuraba in bouts they shouldn't be booked in doesn't bring back nostalgia. The NYE from Saitama is the same clumsy escapade year in and out. Again, I find it entertaining but I wouldn't get hopes up. We're not going to see any reincarnation of PRIDE FC.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
I understand MMA, but I'm not different than most in that I have my preferences. I also know more about PRIDE than many who follow the sport. I've always preferred open rings, longer rounds, and many of the rules that differ from what we have in today's UFC. Even better is the showmanship of Japanese MMA. The alter egos, elaborate entrances, crying Japanese girls in the crowd....it's a perfect mix of entertainment and fighting.

I have to ask...of all fights, why are you using Crazy Horse as a measuring stick?

And while I'm also excited about Rising Sun on NYE, lets not oversell it. Washed up Fedor and Sakuraba in bouts they shouldn't be booked in doesn't bring back nostalgia. The NYE from Saitama is the same clumsy escapade year in and out. Again, I find it entertaining but I wouldn't get hopes up. We're not going to see any reincarnation of PRIDE FC.
You said yourself you don't study the likes of jujitsu. That's what I meant by not understanding all aspects. Personally I've watched a Russian samba team face Brazilian jujitsu team in competition (non-mma) and loved it. I agree with the rest of what you said on Pride. The first few were nothing compared to the last few in terms of entertainment.

Heath was just one example I pulled off the top of my head. Fedor was relatively unknown, Heath I believe was coming off a title shot loss. Heath was a force back then and Fedor destroyed him with ease.

It may not bring back nostalgia for you, but it does for a lot of people. I've watched every single Pride FC fight there was. Seeing two of its biggest stars fighting again isn't a surprising nostalgia trip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%