Report: A&M to Terminate Sumlin

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
The wheels have fallen off...

After the transfer of quarterbacks Kyle Allen and Kyler Murray, and the suspension of a top receiver, Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp is unhappy with the direction of the program and is working to terminate coach Kevin Sumlin’s contract, according to Horns Digest’s Chip Brown who was a guest on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly on Friday

After a 5-0 start, the Aggies lost three of their next four and finished up the season 8-4. They earned their ticket to the Music City Bowl on Dec. 30 against Louisville.

However, the end to Texas A&M’s season isn’t what caused the chancellor’s concern.

Murray, a freshman quarterback and 5-star recruit, announced he was transferring from the program earlier this week, which comes just a short time after Allen decided he was going to do the same.

This past week, sophomore wide receiver Speedy Noil was suspended for Texas A&M’s bowl game and the 2016 season opener against UCLA.

Sumlin’s A&M teams have regressed each season. After going 11-2 in his inaugural season with the Aggies in 2012, the team finished 9-4 in 2013 and 8-5 last year.

Stray32

Reaction score
Well, he's gonna get hired somewhere so he shouldn't worry about that. I can see why for A&M but imo he's a good coach and a better one than they're going to be able to hire now

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
Digging into this and A&M is apparently looking into what it would cost to buy Sumlin out of his contract. Thinking they're aggravated over the lack of discipline within his program. Sumlin is a good coach but I think he's very overrated. Stellar year with Manziel but when you look at the recruits coming into College Station, there's no excuse for losing 4-5 games per year.

BRAAP!

Reaction score
The move to the SEC screwed TAMU. They could be dominating the Big 12 every year

Lynch Mob

Banned
Reaction score
TAMU's chancellor called this a "fairy tale." Says none of it is true. We'll see. I don't believe Sumlin's termination is imminent but I do think the option was explored. They can't be happy with so much negative press in addition to an 8-5 season.

jjangness

Reaction score
BRAAP! said:
The move to the SEC screwed TAMU. They could be dominating the Big 12 every year
I wouldn't say they would dominate. They would be contending Big 12. Oklahoma and Oklahoma St are outstanding this year, and Baylor and TCU were fucked with injuries throughout the season.

Bugsy

Reaction score
Flint said:
Digging into this and A&M is apparently looking into what it would cost to buy Sumlin out of his contract. Thinking they're aggravated over the lack of discipline within his program. Sumlin is a good coach but I think he's very overrated. Stellar year with Manziel but when you look at the recruits coming into College Station, there's no excuse for losing 4-5 games per year.
Agreed. They should be contending for a division title.

AiRuPtHeRe

Must Be Nice
Reaction score
BRAAP! said:
No the move to the SEC is why they're getting so many players. Recruits hear SEC and automatically want to go there. I'm glad this is happening to the Aggies, their fans are some of the worst.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%