Waiver Deadline Deals

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Any trades you'd like to see through the waiver deadline? Any rumors?

I'm still hoping the Sox go for Adrian Beltre. He's been an effective player here in the past and he's a solid hitter and third basemen.

I'd be willing to part ways with Swihart if it comes down to it. He's completely expendable.

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
Hes expendable to an extent. Id trade him for the likes of a Donaldson or Abreu, someone whos likely to stick around if we win it all this year. Donaldson would be costly, but if hes healthy hed be a great 3B/1B and would allow us to keep Devers active. Abreu would be a solid long term option after Pearce.

Beltre would retire for sure. I love Beltre and would be extremely satisfied watching him win his ring in his swan song season here, but Swihart is not the piece I would give up for him. Swihart is not completely expendable, and Ill tell you why.

DD burns each and every farm he touches to the ground. How many prospects do we have outside of a half dozen, who we deem could be above replacement level guys in the bigs?

We dont know if JD Martinez is going to opt out whenever he feels he can get paid more elsewhere. Pearce is only around because he knows the division, and can help us win enough games to get home field advantage in the playoffs. What kind of contribution do you see Leon, Vazquez, or any other minor leaguer providing over the next 2-3 years?

All those question marks, and there is one player who can provide a potential solution to each and every one. Its Swihart. He can even play LF, hell he could probably play 2B or 3B if he got more reps in.

I wouldnt want to see us deal him for any of the rentals youll see on the waiver wire.

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
I dont think Donaldson is costly.
I agree Im just saying thats the type of player Id target, someone good enough to warrant keeping and someone who will stick around at years end.

I wouldnt deal Swihart for him, but someone like him. Donaldson is a star when healthy, the fact that hes not is crippling his value.

Only reason hes a waiver trade target this year is because he didnt have a chance to play before the trade deadline. I bet he goes for intl FA slot money and a top 20 system spec or two.

My point was Swihart isnt garbage or just blankety expendable. Boston should be cautious in moving their prospects going forward.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I dont really think it makes sense for toronto to trade donaldson now. His value has tanked because of injuries so they're not going to get anyone worthwile in return. I think jays are going to try to re-sign him to a short term deal and rebuild his value so they can maybe get something good for him next season when hes gealthy.

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
snipezo said:
I dont really think it makes sense for toronto to trade donaldson now. His value has tanked because of injuries so they're not going to get anyone worthwile in return. I think jays are going to try to re-sign him to a short term deal and rebuild his value so they can maybe get something good for him next season when hes gealthy.
That would be the logical choice, but I could see them waiving him to see whats out there before he even comes back. I agree they wont get like a top 5 in the system type spec in return but the right PTBNL list could be intriguing. Take what you can now rather than rely on him resigning a pillow contract and regaining his old form.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RN4L said:
That would be the logical choice, but I could see them waiving him to see whats out there before he even comes back. I agree they wont get like a top 5 in the system type spec in return but the right PTBNL list could be intriguing. Take what you can now rather than rely on him resigning a pillow contract and regaining his old form.
Sure they could do that, but they could also offer him the QO, and if he rejects they get draft pick out of it. I'd rather see him stick around for another year though.  

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
snipezo said:
Sure they could do that, but they could also offer him the QO, and if he rejects they get draft pick out of it. I'd rather see him stick around for another year though.  
Forgot about the QO thats a good idea too. Wonder if a draft pick, a PTBNL and intl $ would do the trick in a waiver trade

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
Well now Beltre is injured. Hes had leg problems before that lingered some, Id still say hes the best position player available - if hed waive his 10-5 rights.

Boston has pitching but is it enough? We should have gone after Rodney, I doubt we see another reliever as good for nearly as cheap.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
RN4L said:
Well now Beltre is injured. Hes had leg problems before that lingered some, Id still say hes the best position player available - if hed waive his 10-5 rights.

Boston has pitching but is it enough? We should have gone after Rodney, I doubt we see another reliever as good for nearly as cheap.
We need relief pitching if we want to go far in the postseason.  I still think Yankees have an edge over us once we get there.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The floundering Washington Nationals placed Bryce Harper on revocable waivers, and the superstar outfielder has reportedly been claimed, according to a report from Chelsea Janes and Jorge Castillo of the Washington Post.

Harper is one of at least three Nationals players to have been claimed, including second baseman Daniel Murphy and outfielder Matt Adams. Castillo notes that Mark Reynolds, Matt Wieters, and Gio Gonzalez had also been placed on waivers.

While the team that claimed Harper is not known, National League clubs do have the first opportunity since waiver claims are league-preferred. Washington, notified on Sunday of the claim, has 48 hours to either work out a trade with the team or pull Harper back from waivers.

The 25-year-old Harper is set to become a free agent for the first time this offseason, and avoided arbitration this past winter by signing a one-year, $21.6-million deal plus incentives. Over 122 games this year, Harper is posting a .246/.380/.511 slash line with 30 home runs and nine stolen bases.

At 62-63, the Nationals currently sit 7 1/2 games back of the division-leading Atlanta Braves, and 6 1/2 back of the second-place Philadelphia Phillies.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dodgers claimed. nats declined

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Daniel Murphy to the cubs

Matt Adams to the cardinals

Nats blowing it up

#saditude

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Stupid nats lol

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
Mexi said:
Stupid nats lol
If Dodgers got Harper then that'd be something.  They'd be absolutely loaded.  It would make Machado better.  It would make Harper better.  They'd be favorites in the NL with that lineup.  You probably can't believe I'm saying that, but it would put them over the top.

I'm not sold on Harper, but I know he can produce if put on the right team and right circumstance.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
If Dodgers got Harper then that'd be something.  They'd be absolutely loaded.  It would make Machado better.  It would make Harper better.  They'd be favorites in the NL with that lineup.  You probably can't believe I'm saying that, but it would put them over the top.

I'm not sold on Harper, but I know he can produce if put on the right team and right circumstance.
considering Kemp sucks now I would have loved Harper

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
There was no way he was getting dealt.
I know, but it was interesting hearing the connection.  Dodgers would've had to give their whole farm to make it work.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not even dude

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%