NC: Nova vs UNC

Who wins?

• Total voters

Raindelay

Has 2 Phones
Reaction score
I got UNC in my bracket and I got UNC here!

Nova is dangerous as all heck though

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
The eye test says UNC,
however Nova has been on fire lately. If they're able to ride it out through the championship game UNC will be walking into a buzzsaw

Raindelay

Has 2 Phones
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
The eye test says UNC,
however Nova has been on fire lately. If they're able to ride it out through the championship game UNC will be walking into a buzzsaw

I couldn't get over their thrashing of Oklahoma yesterday

I'm a bit nervous for UNC but still pulling for them

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
RainDelay said:
I couldn't get over their thrashing of Oklahoma yesterday

I'm a bit nervous for UNC but still pulling for them
It was the largest Final Four victory in tournament history... I don't think anyone saw that coming. I had OU winning the game

Raindelay

Has 2 Phones
Reaction score
cavsfan817 said:
It was the largest Final Four victory in tournament history... I don't think anyone saw that coming. I had OU winning the game
Lol same

I had Nova pegged as a Sweet 16 exit because I didn't think they would be able to play like they have

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Awesome ending. So happy Villanova won. Guess its back to the "independent study" classes for the Tar Heels.

Scott

Administrator
Reaction score
Was really disappointed going into this game with how crappy the tourney has been besides round 1.

But this game could not have ended any better. Amazing finish. So happy to not have to think about my bracket anymore......Michigan State.......

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Scott said:
Was really disappointed going into this game with how crappy the tourney has been besides round 1.

But this game could not have ended any better. Amazing finish. So happy to not have to think about my bracket anymore......Michigan State.......
I thought the first couple rounds were pretty awesome and then games got a little more one-sided around the elite 8. This season's conference championship week was bananas. Probably the best I've seen. Good for Villanova in taking down a powerhouse for the win. All classes cancelled today on the Villanova campus in order to celebrate.

Stray32

Reaction score
Pharoah said:
I thought the first couple rounds were pretty awesome and then games got a little more one-sided around the elite 8. This season's conference championship week was bananas. Probably the best I've seen. Good for Villanova in taking down a powerhouse for the win. All classes cancelled today on the Villanova campus in order to celebrate.
*in order to sleep and nurse hangovers after celebrating until 6 am

The Wolf

Reaction score
I think the better team won. Villanova absolutely controlled that game for the majority of the second half. Their defense-as it was the entire tournament- was just suffocating for a good 10 minutes in the middle portion of that second half. The ending was great. Without Marcus Paige just going off down the stretch in the final 5 or so minutes, UNC probably loses that game by double digits, considering no one else on UNC could get a decent shot attempt off.

Coming into the game, I think a lot of people were criminally underrating Villanova and partially overrating UNC, for two different factors. The first being that UNC is the big blue blood, and while Villanova is a tremendously successful program in their own right, they don't come close to match the success and tradition of the UNC program. So I think because of that, people were reluctant to really look into just how great of a team Villanova was not only in the tournament but throughout the season. The second reason being that UNC had one of the easiest paths, if not the easiest, to the National Championship game in the history of the tournament. Their competition, particularly in the Elite Eight and semi-final game was incredibly weak, and UNC looked great against them. On the other hand, Villanova had gone through the gauntlet to get to the NCAA Title game, and just like Carolina, they blew out everyone except Kansas, and the only difference was that Villanova's competition was significantly more difficult.

Villanova's ability to play multiple defenses, and deny the post with fundamental fronting/incredibly quick rotations was the reason for their success defensively against UNC inside, and was the same reason for their success against Perry Ellis in the Elite Eight. It was also a fascinating match-up because Nova and UNC couldn't have been more different. They contrasted in every single way possible. UNC had a tremendous front court, Villanova outside of Ochefu was weak up front. UNC was a little bit better than average on the perimeter, Villanova was great on the perimeter. UNC runs their offense through the post, Villanova runs their offense through the perimeter. UNC plays a lightning quick tempo, Villanova wants to slow the ball down.

Really, just a great match-up because the styles were so different. Going into the game I felt Villanova was slightly better, and after the game finished I felt my theory had been supported, despite how close the score was at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%