Geno Auriemma Calls a Spade a Spade

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
These arguments are so fucking stupid. They're unbearable. The men's game is better and draws more viewers because they have athleticism, speed, and size in favor of "fundamentals". 

I don't watch basketball to see players show an excellent grasp of fundamentals. 

Geno should take a look around him and realize how fucking gigantic a gap there is between the good players/good teams and the bad players/bad teams in women's basketball, and it has everything to do with size, speed, and athletcism.  

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
You don't watch the game to see players struggle to put the ball in the basket, either.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The average shooting percentage in the NBA is .448, and in the WNBA it's .437.

3PT%: NBA average is .350, WNBA is .329

Pace: NBA average is 93.9, WNBA is 75.6

NCAA Men's percentages are right around the WNBA's.

And the reason for the low percentage in the mens game is the coaching, rules, and officiating. They're all awful, but that's expected, as it's not as important or as high quality as the NBA game. Except for the rules, there is no excuse for the non-sense they have. The coaching would change if the rules would adapt to modern times.  

elusive

Reaction score
First off elcheato, he made the same points 90% of college basketball fans have been making this year, and for the past few years. Second, you can attack women's basketball, but it doesn't make anything he said about the men's game less true. Third, he called the women's game less watchable:

https://twitter.com/notthefakeSVP/status/583445567889608704
(The tweet isn't showing up for me, but check Scott Van Pelt's timeline)

Can anyone say with a straight face that college basketball doesn't need rule improvements? I'm with Jay Bilas in thinking college basketball should adopt FIBA's International rules (24 second shot clock, 4 quarters, wider lanes, less timeouts).

The most important point here is Geno Auriemma always does shit like this around the Final Four or big games. He makes headlines so the focus is on him and not the players. Other coaches do the same, Geno is the master of it. It works every time and around this time of the year he's always in the headlines and his girl's aren't.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I based what I said off of what Bware talked about, assuming what he was actually talking about had something to do with what was said, which was not the case.

I said in my last post the main problem is the rules. I've stressed numerous times that the shot clock needs to be changed, the way they call offensive fouls needs to change, they need to actually allow continuation, they need to make fouling out more than 5 fouls, among other things. I'd also be for moving back the three point line but I don't think that fits in with the idea of improving offense. I hate the possession arrow too

This has nothing to do with the quality of offense, but the refs need to be told to stop making demonstrative calls too. They run up into the face of players and point when fouls are committed, and over-dramatize everything. The game isn't about them.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Geno is the fucking man

He's so right though. The teams are rarely aggressive on offense, and often just hold the ball at the top of the key for 15 seconds.

They need to learn how to construct a good offense. Forcing a three with 4 seconds on the clock left because you walked up the court and passed the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds is not good offense period

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
in 3 years tell me how many of this year's 1st round picks are starting in the NBA, and then tell me Geno is wrong. Because he's absolutely right.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
@elcheato (my farm computer won't allow the quote option for some reason)--we agree on a lot of things under the radar, here. You are 100% correct about the rules, at this point. I don't see the demonstrative nature of the officiating, though, but I don't watch enough college ball to state that it doesn't exist.

Geno's point is that these players are extremely raw when it comes to truly developed skills. Some of them know how to shoot, but that's form and repetition more than actually developing anything based on footwork, ball-handling. That's just on the individual side. You guys are also correct in that men's basketball teams don't run offenses very well. I can't remember the last correctly set pick I've seen in the men's college game (I blame the NBA for that--allowing so many guys to set picks with their knees doesn't set much of an example). In that Kentucky/Notre Dame game--both Towns and Auguste could have fouled out several times by setting blatantly moving screens.

On this topic--it really is refreshing to see a big as skilled as Carl Anthony Townes playing the college game, but it's too bad that that's such a rare occurrence, now.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Karl Anthony Towns isn't even the most skilled big man in college right now

:kobe:

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How can it possibly be the NBAs fault, that the players are raw in the lower levels? Just read that over and think about it, because it contradicts itself. I don't care about one specific example you'll use that represents a sample size of 3 people.

The only thing that would be logical that explains the NBA being at "fault" for raw players is the NBAs one year requirement in college, because it's stupid. There should be no college requirement.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
I was blaming the NBA for perpetuating the idea that setting illegal screens was OK. I didn't say it was to blame for younger players being raw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%